Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Ge Electrak, E8M drive motor failed

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 1073 times

Old 08-06-2019, 01:08:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,932 Posts
Default Re: Ge Electrak, E8M drive motor failed

Evidently what ever glue they used on those magnets is starting to give up the ghost. Too bad they were not secured mechanically.... I'd imagine that epoxy would work well as long as everything is cleaned really well beforehand...

Keith
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2019, 07:47:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,714 Posts

Many of the motor manufacturers used Lord brand epoxy for the magnets.

The magnets (before they are magnetized) are squirted with a layer of epoxy then placed in the can with automation. I sold many induction heating machines to then quickly heat the outside of the can in about 4 seconds so the epoxy interface would reach 360F to cross link and harden. Through testing we found that 350-500F was acceptable to kick off the epoxy cure. Then they are magnetized and assembled.

I often wondered what the life of that epoxy would be at operating temperatures before it outgassed and failed. Looks like the answer to that is x years as in today. If it was me, I'd take all the motors apart, clean and re goop the perimeters of the magnets and the can with hi temp epoxy.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 10:37:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well the motor runs good with new bearings in it.But last week when i found a wiring issue hooking up the mowing deck,trying to connect to the old solinoid made it not work right,A bump and it worked ok but yesterday,nope. So 1 is ordered.But here is a pic of the motor apart ready to go back together. Edit,I found a local shop that told me just to use a good grade of 2 part epoxy on a clean surface and make sure the poles are right.Hum,didn't I read that last week? .
Like I said,it pays to hang out with smarter people than yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00012.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	340997  
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:04:35 PM
Subscriber

Well after waiting a week on a solenoid only for it to wind up somewhere in Texas, I went to a golf cart dealer and got a solenoid and put it in this thing so I could get it done I thought.
Well,apparently there is a minor issue as I had to bypass the clutch switch but she mowed the front yard ,twice as the first time was to high.
NO brakes,I had the rod adjusted with good brakes but when I put the deck under the machine,I found I had the rod in backwards. And I made adjustment changes and found myself rolling down hill like a snowball! Oops.All is well though.I will fix that.
I am just happy after all these years of owning this and the others,to finally get to mow the yard with 1.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00025.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	341392   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00026.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	341393   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00027.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	341394  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:55:03 PM
Subscriber

Ok,another motor question. I am repairing the motor that lost a magnet. I got the magnet from a deck motor that came loose and it is in good shape and it fits the drive motor like it was made for it. It is epoxyed in and I am waiting on that to cure with a little black paint sprayed on the houseing to cover up the rusty surface after I wire brushed it. There is 2 wires that bring 36 volt to the brushes. There is also 2 terminals that go back to the blade solenoid so the blades will not work unless the drive motor is running.
I THINK< I know the answer to this but I am not sure.When I put new bearings in the replacement motor I used the brushes and that end cap from my original motor because they were in much better condition that the 1's on the replacement motor.
Also there is this round thing with a broke terminal.

Here is the question. There is this round thing,Pointed at by a ink pen in the pic, that is installed between the terminals that feed back to the blades. A terminal is broken. IS this a diode? If so,looks to be a heavy 1.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00036.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	341919  
Old 08-21-2019, 12:50:42 AM
Subscriber

I would guess that is an overload protector.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:26:22 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
I would guess that is an overload protector.
OK, then maby I can substitute a deck motor breaker for that.Um. I know this thing is not shown as a replaceable part on any pics I can find although it comes out with screws.
Corrision caused the lead to come loose inside the black plastic.If all else fails I may try to use a dremel to expose the insides enough to solder the lead to it?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:24:35 PM
Subscriber

Hmmm.. not sure. I'd imagine it's something like a bimetallic strip and a couple of contacts inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 07:57:33 PM
Subscriber

Van man got it!. I called Harold Zimmerman and ask him about it,and 1 is coming in the mail. Not cheap but I don't want to put it together wrong and something not be right later on.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:18:15 PM
Subscriber

Have you ever did something that once you realized it you felt so DUMB?
I Finally got usable brakes on this machine today after ordering some brake pads and installling them. Thick enough to actually Work.Anyhow,it was a pain in the rump working around the right rear tire trying to put the brakes back together.So I had pulled the pin out of the wheel thru the axle and tryed to remove the wheel. No could do but didn't put the pin back in apparently. Went out the shop door on a test run and it suddenly would not move good at all.The wheel had loosened on the axle! This is NOT common on the Elec-Traks. The wheel is usually rusted to the axle due to all the battery acid and has to be cut off. But the E8M does not have batterys in the read compartment so these wheels were spared that damage.
I took the wheel the rest of the way off,and give it a good bait of antisieze and put it back on. I think I have all the bugs worked out except for the clutch safety switch.When I installed the new solenoid,for whatever reason,it will not stay running when the clutch is let out.I am begining to wonder about the clutch switch. But anyhow,other wise I think it is about ready to go mow my whole yard.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53:03 PM
Subscriber

Well the motor that the magnet broke in is finally repaired and could be put back in the tractor if I decided to.
I installed new brushes and the thermal breaker came in the mail today.
New bearings were about 38 bucks,
New brushes were 30 plus shipping.
the replacement breaker was 38 dollars,that was including shipping.
Epoxy was about 5 bucks.
So this repair would have cost about 111 bucks had I known how to repair the original motor first.
But the motor I put in the machine,has more hp and it cost 115 I think and I put 38 bucks worth of bearings in it.
All in all though,not that pricey to repair a machine's motor if you wiegh in what parts cost for a gas burner mower.

I also pulled the drive motor from the spare E8M that is in terriable shape,put new bearings in it and cleaned it up.It runs well to.
I will lay both of these on the shelf for the time being.I had no idea what they were really worth but what 1 website calls rebuilt is about 299 plus shipping!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:58:08 AM
Subscriber

Good to know you are mowing with E8 again Mack!