Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

1905 IHC 3hp Vertical - Looking for Ideas and Advice

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 4979 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2014, 12:18:52 AM
Subscriber

Default 1905 IHC 3hp Vertical - Looking for Ideas and Advice

I recently acquired a 1905 IHC 3 HP Vertical gas engine. I want to put it on a cart and purchased the parts for the IHC Famous 2 & 3 HP cart from Cattail Foundry. John Wanat has the tall thermal-siphon water tank which I will also be adding. I have read all the posts I could find on Smokstak about this engine and looked for photos on the internet showing this type engine. So far, I have not found one mounted on a cart with the external gas tank which is required on these engines since it is not in the engine base like on the later verticals. I would like to have a battery box on one end of the cart like on the later Famous and Victor uprights. So where should one put a gas tank? One idea is to extend the cart and place one between the engine and the battery box. If I did this, what style tank would look best? Another idea is to fabricate a gas tank that mounts under the cart between the skids. Has anyone tried either design? If so, would love to see photos of the setup.

My other idea is to add a Motsinger Auto Sparker to the engine. I know that later engines were sometimes equipped with these and IHC made brackets for them. Has anyone tried adding one to an early Vertical like this one? Will the later brackets work? Is anyone reproducing these brackets? Would love advice on approaching this idea!

My engine is all original yet and I am planning to leave it as is. Needs some grease removed yet but still has some original finish. It appears that the engine was red with a very dark green (almost black) lower base and flywheels. It has gold vertical pin striping on the cylinders and also on the spokes of the flywheel and around the edge of the inspection cover. The original decal is pretty much gone but can still make out the outline of the letters. Here are a few photos...

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Craig Solomonson For This Post: