Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Ohio Push Rod Engine Found

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 3304 times

Old 01-27-2015, 12:46:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,923 Times in 1,740 Posts
Default Ohio Push Rod Engine Found

When I picked up this unknown engine on a cart Sunday, it was apart with pieces in the battery box , and the head with the muffler and mixer just lying on the shelf. It looked complete, so it came home with me . Yesterday before the storm I went up to the barn and assembled loosely, all the pieces I had, and it looks complete still on the trailer with its friends . Someday I’ll take it apart again and clean up all the pieces, make a new head gasket, clean the lightly rusty bore, piston and rings, the head, etc… and get it running. Today it’s still snowing (snow storm JUNO 1-26/27-2015) so I’m staying home and searching the STACK and WEB for more information on it. Here are a few pictures of it stuck together. So far, all that is missing is the square identification tag that was on the front of the water hopper and the upper piece of the crank guard if there was one? I have part of the broken gear/push rod cover, and need an instruction and parts booklet for it if there is one available (I like to have that info for engines). I wonder how many are around . I guess I’m like a lot of others on the STACK, too much to do, so little time to do it, and still have fun on the way through, even in NJ .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OHIO push rod (3).JPG
Views:	627
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	217104   Click image for larger version

Name:	OHIO push rod (2).jpg
Views:	668
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	217105   Click image for larger version

Name:	OHIO push rod (4).jpg
Views:	550
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	217106   Click image for larger version

Name:	OHIO push rod.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	217107  
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: OHIO push rod engine found

Paul, nice engine.Your crankguard is complete as it is.It appears to be the same as my engine engine except for the speed control, some are as your's, others come out the back of the block like mine.I will have to look at my engine, but I think the serial number is stamped on top of the cylinder head.These engines are local built for me and a couple other collectors in the area have done extensive research on them and not much hardcore info has surfaced.Thanks Carl
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyRelics For This Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 01:21:06 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,202 Times in 990 Posts

Nice find Paul. I have a 3hp identical to it. Your crank guard is actually correct. I'm not sure why, but they are made to only cover about halfway. I think I know a source for the tag. I have some miscellaneous info on these engines that I can send your way. I don't think I have a parts list.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier For This Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 05:32:31 PM
Subscriber

Just another observation , the muffler insert looks like a drain grate . Is that correct .

Old 01-27-2015, 06:51:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,361 Posts

Yes, a drain grate.

When you're looking for scarce info include Joy in your search. There is a little. Nice find! Did not take you long to find that Stickney coil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 11:07:02 PM
Subscriber

Doug: Thanks for the information. I got lucky on the coil and some other "stuff" this past weekend . It's been quite awhile .

Old 01-28-2015, 01:14:00 PM

Thanked 6,764 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: OHIO push rod engine found

Paul, not sure where in NJ you are, but here in Rockaway, Juno was a bust! Only about 3" for the whole thing! looks like you got a neat piece there, hope to see your resto efforts here.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 01:31:21 PM
Subscriber

Nice find Paul, Glad to see you are still having fun.
Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to BSerfass For This Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19:48 PM
Subscriber

Now that I got the Wonder engine running, I turned my attention to the OHIO push rod engine (about time I got around to it ). Here are a couple pictures of as found-where found.

I picked it up from storage in my 1994 Chevy C1500 with 471,000+ miles and got it home where I can work on it. Sure am glad I have 2 of those hydraulic hand trucks to get the engine in and out of the truck, and don’t have to do the trailer thing. Here are a couple of pictures in my back yard. I spent the afternoon taking it apart after loose assembly when I got it (so I wouldn't loose any parts ), cleaning it up and just checking out what needs to be done to get it up and running (rusty bore, rusty piston and rings, new head gasket needed, mixer choke broken, valves look good, might just need to re-seat them, and all that other stuff I need to do, etc., etc, etc…….). It's just another engine project to work on while trying to have "FUN", even in NJ , where it's HOT, on the way through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OHIO Push rod.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	258957   Click image for larger version

Name:	OHIO push rod (2).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	258958   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-25-2016 (2).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	258959   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-25-2016 (3).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	258960  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 06:59:49 PM
Subscriber

I cleaned up the bore, removed the rings and cleaned them and the piston, put the rings back on and with lots of oil (messy job) put the piston back in the bore and connected the rod to the crankshaft after cleaning that up. It was a bit tight and I had to make a couple of shims to get the clearance right. I cleaned up the head, removed the valves just to check them and surprisingly they looked OK . Made a new head gasket, and then put the head back on along with the push rod bracket and all that stuff. It sure has good compression. The ignition timing is a bit off, but there is a unique spark timing pick up adjustment on this engine as well as an adjustable spark saver arrangement. The buzz coil was dirty and rusty so I cleaned that up and burnished the points and got it working. The spark plug was dirty, but it gave a nice spark from the buzz coil, so I sprayed a small bit of starting fluid in the primer cup on the head, pulled it over on compression and it fired . The governor & latch is real tight and it looks like someone was messing with it before I got it. I took it apart, studied the governor operation , and then reassembled it correctly. It now moves freely but I need a couple of lighter springs so it will run a bit slower. Did I say I had it sort of running – way to FAST, and not latching up?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7-25-2016 (9).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	259028   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-25-2016 (10).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	259029   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1102.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	259032   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-26-2016 (2).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	259033  

Last edited by Paul Spence; 07-27-2016 at 07:22:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:19:28 PM
Subscriber

I went to Sears Hardware and picked up a couple of lighter springs for the OHIO governor and latch arm. When I got home, I modified and shortened the governor spring a bit to get the proper spring compression rate for the governor.

Now that its all back together, and things look right, I guess I really need to try and run it . With a few minor adjustments, here is the 1st run of the OHIO on 7-27-2016. I ran it for about 10 minutes, and wonder WHY, it ever became a "BASKET" case . Still more to do on it like getting it to run slower and clean it up some more, but boy am I ever having fun, even in NJ on the way through. NEXT....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 08:21:22 PM
Subscriber

I have a friend who found one of these, but I would guess 10 hp at least. Could you post pictures of governor weights, as his were home made and I see no way they would work as is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Baalman For This Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 07:45:03 AM
Subscriber

July 2016 was the last time I ran the 3HP OHIO push rod engine, and it seemed a bit tight. A couple of months or so ago, I tried running the 4HP Ohio push rod but it was “STUCK” . The piston is really stuck tight, and won’t move at all? I sprayed some PB Blaster on it, still stuck so I just left it. A few days later I sprayed some more PB Blaster on it, let it sit a few minutes and with a lot of effort (brute force) I finally got it to move, and got the piston out. The piston and rings were covered with a thick, sticky, oily “RUST” . I spent awhile cleaning the piston and rings and got the rings loose in the grooves. When I went back to install the piston, I inspected the bore and it was of course, also covered with a coat of thick, sticky, oily “RUST” . After cleaning the bore with carburetor cleaner, I got the bore hone out and cleaned it up, just metal shinny. With the piston-rings-and bore shinny I installed them and connected the crankshaft. The assembly now rotates easily, has super compression , just needing a couple more rod bearing shims and locking nuts on the bolts before running it (someday later). Just trying to have “FUN”, even in NJ on the way through .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 10:30:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,920 Times in 2,474 Posts

Paul by any chance that have any old gas left in it the last time you ran it?? I have a 8 Muleteam that someone left about 1 gallon of gas in it , I couldn't drain it ,no way was I going to RIP the line out of the tank , and with the tank in the base of a 2000lb engine no way to get it out and 2 90 elbows on fill it couldn't be sucked out. So I added Berrymans to it and a 12 volt battery and stunk up the neighborhood, the next morning the piston was super glued in the cyl!! Had to take a pipe wrench a 10 ft cheater pipe and a half can of choke cleaner to get it loose. It had like a roofing tar look to it when I pulled the piston a couple days later after I run it to clean tank out to put a wrist pin in. Had it happen to a United ac to but not as dramatic..