Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Le Sueur Swap Meet

this thread has 97 replies and has been viewed 13354 times

Old 04-17-2018, 05:40:13 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Le Sueur Swap Meet

Vend in the parking lot? It's hard enough to find parking as it is. Plus many areas in the lot will be no better than in the show grounds.
My vote is reschedule.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2018, 07:24:12 AM
Subscriber

I too have already taken Thursday and Friday off of work, and have a room in St peter reserved. We will have a trailer load there. It will be a challenge but we are in. Yesterday was just above freezing but it was melting like crazy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldironlindy For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 08:37:36 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,327 Times in 350 Posts

Now another 3-7 in. of snow forecasted for tomorrow (Wed). With the 1 in. of rain we had before the 10 in. of snow on Sat. the ground is completely saturated, unlike other years when the ground was fairly dry before we had the rains. it is going to be impossible to drive anywhere on the grounds except on the road ways. With temps below freezing every night and with daytime temps maybe near 50 by end of this coming weekend it is going to be hard to get rid of this snow in 7 days. Some drifts around the buildings are 3 ft. high yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Preuhs For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 09:06:46 AM
Registered

I booked all my work schedule around the swap meet and I'm all in regardless of weather. Who ever said good things come easy. My vote,FWIW, says lets keep it as is.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:11:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,140 Times in 620 Posts

It use to be held at the fair grounds. Could it be held there ? A big sign at the gate and along the roads would steer people there or maybe some where else close by ?
Everyone is nkt on line nor call to see if a show is cancelled.
One of the last fatal blows to Waukee was the date change. Many people showed up when it had been and they never went back. Same thing when they moved it to the fairgrounds. People showing up with nothing there is bad news. Now that its a snail show with 28 vendors the last few years they have nice flat grounds with bathrooms. Too bad there.
I am going else where the first of May and probably will not go to play in the mud this year if it is that bad. If I do go just be a truck, no trailer.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:28:27 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,327 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Guy Clarke View Post
It use to be held at the fair grounds. Could it be held there ? A big sign at the gate and along the roads would steer people there or maybe some where else close by ?
Everyone is nkt on line nor call to see if a show is cancelled.
One of the last fatal blows to Waukee was the date change. Many people showed up when it had been and they never went back. Same thing when they moved it to the fairgrounds. People showing up with nothing there is bad news. Now that its a snail show with 28 vendors the last few years they have nice flat grounds with bathrooms. Too bad there.
I am going else where the first of May and probably will not go to play in the mud this year if it is that bad. If I do go just be a truck, no trailer.
We got kicked out of the fairgrounds for that reason, to much mud and rooted up the grounds there.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38:51 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,115 Times in 390 Posts

I dont know what to say exactly. I can hoot and holler to keep it when it is for selfish reasons but ultimately the directors need to do what is best for their grounds.
Just keep in mind that people come from all over the U.S. and even Canada to vend and as buyers. For your local crowd it may not be a big deal but for others it may be. Someone pointed out that you would be running into other swap meet dates.
I personally start planning for this event before we leave the last swap. We pay our reserved spot a year ahead of time. We make reservations in Belle Plain as we check out. I schedule the time off work and it is not easy to find someone to fill in for me.
If you pushed back the date and we were not able to attend would we lose, through no fault of our own, our payed for spot? Would we lose, through no fault of our own, our money that we payed for the spot?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,073 Times in 296 Posts

I am selfish and would like to see it go as I have booked a holiday trip around my trip to Le Sueur. To head straight to Le Sueur from my place is about 1100 miles one way.

I can understand the dilemma Pioneer Power is in and no matter what decision you come up with people will not be happy one way or the other, but you will only hear from the unhappy ones!

I would recommend that you make the decision very soon and remember more is lost by indecision than wrong decision.

If it is a go I will see you folks next week and if it is not hopefully I will see you in 2019!
The Following User Says Thank You to Will Batty For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17:15 AM
Banner Sponsor

Well my 2 cents worth is to postpone it to the weekend of the 18-20th and make it permanent!!! I've been there many years and only a couple of days were nice weather but you guys are the ones that can look at the grounds and make that call. What would help is to let the ones with reserved spots pull right in through the main gate on Thursday morning and go directly to there spots so we can get parked into our spots in a not so rushed fashion it will also really ez the mess in the parking lot. Thanks Lightning Magneto
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitch Malcolm For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 11:44:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,236 Times in 651 Posts

It's a tough call no matter what as you are still trying to please everyone involved and trying to do what is best for the grounds and the club! I would selfishly like to see it stay as it is as we'll make the most of it regardless of circumstances. It would probably be best to keep it in the parking lot for the sake of the grounds...but if it were changed in the future I suggest it be STRONGLY considered to move it back 2 weeks so as NOT to compete with Baraboo, WI, and/or Portland, IN. There are MANY vendors and public that attend both of these events, myself included. It would probably be best to keep it as is...hey, once in 40 years isn't all that bad! We will see you soon, Jason
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason Dahm For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 11:51:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,104 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Malcolm View Post
Well my 2 cents worth is to postpone it to the weekend of the 18-20th and make it permanent!!! I've been there many years and only a couple of days were nice weather but you guys are the ones that can look at the grounds and make that call. What would help is to let the ones with reserved spots pull right in through the main gate on Thursday morning and go directly to there spots so we can get parked into our spots in a not so rushed fashion it will also really ez the mess in the parking lot. Thanks Lightning Magneto
I agree, if you are going to push it back at least push it 3 weeks to a month. That would give some of us time to get our schedules in order. Also as stated the decision needs to be NOW not later. The later the word gets out the more people won't hear about it and show up April 26 more than a little pissed! And if 18-20 of May does not interfere with other swaps then why not push it until then every year? By then most of the crops are in and the weather is nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:22:28 PM
Registered-II

I also remember that year (2007?) When it got cold and was snowy the week right before the Swap Meet. Saturday I think it was very cold, blowing and snowing. That is the only year in recent memory I skipped the swap as a customer. I have attended regularly since the third annual Swap around 1979 and the Last Sunday weekend of April USUALLY is a great date but like everything else weather can always be a factor (It rains in May too!). This year's weather is clearly extremely unusual and an exception. My input would be to evaluate things later this week. A little wind and sun can do wonders this time of year. I would NEVER support changing the permanent annual date of this swap meet from the last Sunday weekend in April.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:31:28 PM
Sponsor

Pushing it back in May 18-20 is the same time as the Portland IN spring swap meet. Like Jason said many of us travel to other swap meets and not just Le Sueur.

If the weather forecast looked crappy all next week I would say to look at canceling it. But the weather does look good starting this Saturday four or five days of 50-60 degree days things can turn around in a hurry!

My vote for what it is worth, is because of the weather this year is to open the main gate and let the venders in earlier say Wednesday afternoon so as people show up on Thursday they can get there pass and go to there spot. Less congestion and people can stay on the roadways until they are ready to pull into there assigned spot.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Linder For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48:34 PM
Subscriber

My opinion after some thought is if at all possible to postpone it, if you think you have to. I don't think parking lot vending is a good idea, way too many general public that would have to park way to far away. I don't know how they would get and items purchased to their vehicles. If postponed I think it has to be pushed out a few weeks minimum, I know it wouldn't work for everyone but if it is left alone it isn't going to work well for everyone if 30 percent or so can't get their spots. It may rain in May but at least the frost will be out of the ground (we hope) and it can firm up faster. One way or the other I think the fairest thing for all involved to do is to move on a desision quickly so all involved can start planning what we need to do. Oh and Good Luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Glaser For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:29:29 PM
Registered-III

Doug, I think you guys need to wait on a decision until after this next snow is suppose to come and give everyone a final answer over the weekend. The forecast I have seen looks really good for a change and a little mud has not hurt us in the past!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HappyIron For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:48:27 PM
Registered-I

I have been to every Pioneer Power swap meet since it moved from the fair grounds. I attended every Waukee IA swap from the time it started at Coon Rapids fair grounds to the club grounds at Waukee. Have seen it go from a one day swap to the best in the US, a week long, to it's end, never missed rain or shine. They changed the date do the Mt. Pleasant swap on the same date, that was the start of end. I understand the grounds are bad. Best thing to do is let us venders go to our reserved spots when we arrive. Only let venders into the grounds until Friday. Blame it on the weather for the change but do not change the date or postpone it. Everybody has days off, vacations planed, delivery and pickups planed and motel and other reservations made. They let us in a day early a few years back do to rain coming. Do the same this year, let us go to our spots when we arrive. It was that way in the beginning we went to our favorite spot when we got to the grounds, then the roping off and then waiting in the parking lot, first come gets first choice spot. Now that we have our favorite spots payed for a year in advance let us go to them, save the tearing up of the parking lot. Make it a weather rule change only on the bad years, like now. Changing the date, or a postponement, or cancellation, would be the beginning of its downfall. G. Wayne Walker Jr Forgotten Iron Collector for life!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to George Wayne Walker Jr For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 02:17:30 PM
Registered-I

As a vendor with an already paid-for spot I too would vote for letting us go straight to our spots as we show up instead of staging in the parking lot prior. If, say, a vendor's reserved spot is still submerged under water or total mud then perhaps hold them in the lot until Thursday, in the hopes that things will dry a bit further first. My vote would also be to keep the date as it is, as none of us can control the weather and in the end we all have to deal with mother nature as best we can, but I personally think that changing dates would create more negative blowback on the show coordinators than letting things go ahead as planned. That way each vendor can make their own decisions on what is the best course of action for themselves - I've already read some folks here may be bringing a smaller load, different transportation, etc. But at the end of the day I will support the Pioneer Power coordinators with whatever decision they make, I know you all have more issues to take into account than us vendors do, and need to make what you believe are the best decisions for the show.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Squatch253 For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 02:22:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,157 Times in 286 Posts

When you say 30% of the spots are not usable where are we talking. Is it down on the bottom in the overflow area? On the hill side? Just curious as I hate to show up and find my reserved spot is not usable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Shaffer For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 02:45:16 PM
Subscriber

Mike if you were referring to what I said the 30% was just a guess, I haven't been near the grounds as I live about three hours northwest of the swap. I feel your pain coming from so far away. My guess and hope it will go on as planned and it will all work out. Hope you make it. It should be one to talk about for years to come whatever the outcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Glaser For This Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 03:25:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,140 Times in 620 Posts

Giving an opinion is part of being envolved, but it is an unpleasant thing.
I know people who make their annual bank payments off their sales at LeSuer. A lot of junkers rely on it for auction money. Not having it would be bad. But if it really is so soft what can be done. I heard the sheriff was going along the road keeping people off the roads shoulders . If it goes on there will be many parked for miles. Is there anywhere the public could park and shuttle.
Like with Waukee if years ago they had spent the whole years gross on gravel and not sand we would be better off. Maybe start a $2 parking fee and buy gravel for it too. But it would be impossible to gravel the whole thing. They need about 50 tractorals running around too .
The ground being sandy and what ever it is clay? It does dry off pretty quick. Maybe it will be ok
If you changed it to Memorial day weekend and run it for 5 days letting people go from Portland to LeSuer it would be good for me. MtPleaaant has grown to 130 vendors. But with only maybe 15 on average engine dealers. Its mostly a flea market. And attendance is not all that great. They don't even advertise it.