Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Tecumseh 6hp in Big-Mow

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3314 times

Old 08-23-2009, 08:53:38 PM
Registered

Default Tecumseh 6hp in Big-Mow

I just got a swisher big mow A32. It has a tecumseh 6hp. The engine should have a crank start on top that is missing. I would like to re-build the engine. Are parts avalible for these?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2009, 10:56:08 PM
Sky

Default Re: Tecumseh 6hp in Big-Mow

Depends on what model it is. If it's any of the H models, V models or newer, most parts should be available. NOTE: tecumseh is no longer in operation so there parts are getting a little weird to find. Lot of aftermarket junk is gonna come in to fill tecumseh's place i'd waiger.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 08-24-2009, 02:25:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,238 Times in 1,654 Posts

The crank starters show up on eBay frequently, but it's a gamble. These were not the best system when new. They would wear out pretty regularly and a used one may or may not work.....
If you find a NOS, it will be pricey.
You won't get one at a dealer.
Look at yard sales & flea markets for one. You'll probably have to buy an entire (junk) mower to get it.

I Can Probably Fix That

Last edited by John Newman, Jr.; 08-24-2009 at 03:20:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Newman, Jr. For This Post:
Old 08-24-2009, 01:10:41 PM
Registered-II

My grandfather was a big fan of the spring wind starter, as he'd burned his hands badly, and couldn't pull the rope start.
I swapped the spring start over from several different machines, as he wore them out.

For his needs they were great, but for most purposes they SUCK! Trying to start a damp or flooded engine with one of these is a major pain.
The dogs in there like to wear down and strip, and the spring likes to break. If I was you, I'd look to convert it to a recoil type. Seems to me like I hit a snag trying to do this on his last Big-Mow. Something had changed with the starter cup/pulley part, making this impossible to do, with stock parts.

Good luck,

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Moss For This Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 10:32:52 PM
Registered-I

I switched over a crank to a re-coil once but do not remember if there was any to change but the bolts -- longer ones needed on re-coil if memory serves me. I like cranks but I like to older look of them but agree with them being a pain if the engine is not wanting to start.

Finding replacement parts for these could be tough. It could be best to pick up a parts machine (often cheaper than buying individual parts). You could take the parts you need and sell the rest if you want. I try to keep a stock of extra parts sitting around just in case -- good thing as I blew the gear-box on mine this summer and those are almost as hard on the check book as the re-coils were.

If you were closer to me, I would make a very good deal on a complete single speed machine with recoil. The frame is beat up and rusty but the engine has compression. If it site too long around here, it is going to be in pieces and in my parts bin and iron pile.