Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

removal of valve cage and nut, novo S

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1725 times

Old 12-19-2002, 01:21:44 PM
david hadley

Default removal of valve cage and nut, novo S

I have just obtained a 4ph Novo type S. Both valves are frozen in cages and retaining nuts are frozen in head. I have been soaking them for 2 months or so. I sand blasted the head this week so I could get a good look at things. On the exhaust side the square nut of the retaining nut is broken away so there is nothing to grab. I could drill two holes in the nut and make a pin wrench, or I could make a deep hole saw and drill the retainging nut out. What is the thread size of the retainging nut? I could make a new one. I don't want to break the valve cage if I can help it. any ideas?? Thanks, Dave from Omemee
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2002, 02:55:36 PM
Tom Winland

Default Re: removal of valve cage and nut, novo S

Can you weld a nut to the top to turn it out with.

Tom Winland Ohio
Old 12-19-2002, 04:28:57 PM
Subscriber

Dave, Good luck getting the nut out, after you have made some type of tool to get it out, use lots of heat (red hot) on the nut. if that doesn't work, you may have to break it out. Remember the Valve cage sets on top of the nut, so if you drill, don't drill all the way through You also need to be careful not to break the Valve guide and cage or the cylinder. The good news is if break the valve cage you have a good chance to find a used one, or do as I did and have a good machinest make one.. the picture #1 shows the new machined one, and 2 shows the old broken one. Good Luck!!

Old 12-19-2002, 08:39:32 PM
Ed Deis

Dave-Although we offer these parts new in our catalog, I'll be happy to give you the correct thread size for the nut if someone doesn't come up with it here. You will have to email me for this as I have to check it out at the shop and I only get online at home. Good Luck-Ed
Old 12-20-2002, 09:57:15 AM
david hadley

I went out and bought a hole saw to drill out the valve cage nut. I will have to make an adapter to hold the hole saw that will fit over the valve stem which will act like a guide. I have a 1922 south bend lathe so I can make a new nut, I just don't want to break the cage if I can help it. I think its the safest way, not the shortest way. I am fearfull of heating the thing up red hot. If you damage the main casting then your in big trouble. Sacrificing the nut still seems best to me. If you get a chance to check out the thread size on the nut that would be great. I could measure the thread size when I get it apart but what I want to do is calculate the root diameter from the thread size before I drill it out. This way I can drill as close as I can to the thread root as possible without damaging the threads. It would appear that I can use a 2" hole saw but I want to make sure before I start.

Thanks for the help Dave from Omemee
Old 12-21-2002, 01:35:08 AM
stevewold

I had the same broken nut on my 4hp and drilled it out using just small bits to cut a relief. Then turned it with a chisel. I don't think it's the end of the world if you cut a little into the valve cage because the new nut will cover the defect. I'd try this before using a lot of heat. New nuts are easy to come by but new cylinders aren't. Hit and Miss enterprises have nuts and valve cages. Stevewold