Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Low speed or "Regular Speed" grinder for sharpening?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1271 times

Old 02-25-2017, 07:48:49 PM
Registered-III

Default Low speed or "Regular Speed" grinder for sharpening?

Time to buy a better 8" bench grinder. I'll be using it for tool steel and HSS, for wood lathe tools & metal working tools. More like hobby use than pro-shop use.

So... The low speeders are supposed to heat the work less. I can see that. They cost more, though. Are the slow speed versions mostly marketing?

What do you use?

Thanks!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,276 Times in 695 Posts
Default Re: Low speed or "Regular Speed" grinder for sharpening?

I just use a regular grinder, watch so you don't get what your are sharpening too hot.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,147 Times in 2,049 Posts

I use a Taiwanese made bench grinder that I bought 27 years ago, I think it would be considered a high speed. Mounted it on a pedestal, base is a car rim filled with cement, scrap pipe, and cup holder made with a 3" dia piece of plate and a slice of 4" pipe. Fill cup with cold water and dunk tool bit after every grind.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:53:33 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,881 Posts

For regular work, I use high speed grinder and it's water tray to keep metal cool. For occasional fine work, I have a Variac I plug the grinder into. You would be amazed at the control you have at slower speeds. I can work on very delicate items and position them precisely.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:52:47 AM
Subscriber

I use a slow speed, water bath Tormek 2000 that I swear by. It's really designed for, and only useful for, sharpening and honing as opposed to metal removal. With the available attachments I can sharpen anything but a chainsaw. They're pretty pricey but I ran into mine for a song and now I'm hooked. I also have a traditional, double arbor bench grinder but they complement each other, not compete with each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Paul For This Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 11:11:34 PM
Registered-II

It depends on how you define "sharpening". If you are taking pieces of metal and creating cutting edges (removing relatively large amounts of stock) then by al means the higher speed machine (I am assuming by high speed you mean 360 rpm) and a good water dip bowl is the best bet. An 1800 rpm machine will also heat the stock and will also overheat your patience.
If you are only going to keep a keen edge on things like chisels and knives, you won't be particularly well served by either of these machines. Another poster mentioned a Tormek. These are pricey but will pay for themselves by giving good results. They are useless for stock removal or heavy grinding, though. There are other options, such as finding a used slow speed water wheel grinder on craigslist. They don't come up every day but they're not impossible to find either. These are good for finer grinding but they are slow and fussier to use than the Tormek.

If you are concerned about heating the work with the high speed grinder, you should get rid of the cheap general purpose wheels these grinders come with and replace them with a softer bond, friable wheel and keep it dressed often. These wheels are often referred to by their color, white or pink. But color is meaningless, really. Go by the wheel's number to make sure of what you are getting. The right wheel will not eliminate heat but will greatly reduce it if used properly. In fact I will end by saying where true general purpose grinders are concerned (as opposed to shapeners like the Tormek) the wheel is far more important than the machine where satisfying results are concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 12:44:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,147 Times in 2,049 Posts

Concerning quenching the tool, I was taught to quench tool bits by inserting them into cool water cool end first, the idea being that you were chasing the heat back out the same end it entered. I have no idea if there is any validity to that idea, its just the way I was taught. Anyone want to throw their 2 cents in on that theory?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:55:06 AM
Subscriber

My grinder has a variable speed switch built into it, although I don't use the lower speed much it is nice when needed.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:25:35 PM
Registered-III

I appreciate all the input.

I'd love to have a Tormek style system, but that's not within the budget, and wouldn't work for all of my needs.

I'm still figuring on this. I have (maybe somewhere) a cheaper 6" 3600 RPM grinder... Unless I gave it to my brother... Anyway, if I can round it up, I'll get a good set of wheels for it, and see how it works for me. If it doesn't fit the bill, I'll get an 8" 1750 RPM with good wheels.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-27-2017, 05:22:20 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuna View Post
Good wheels will cost more then the grinder. Don't expect to find them in the box store, or the made in china store.

I am still with out good wheels, lucky do not need them for much, so a stone will work for me now.
Yep, they sure could. Unless I bought a Baldor, which isn't going to happen. I found that 6 inch grinder... I'm thinking it'd be money wasted getting good 6 inch wheels for it, when what I want is an 8" 1750.

Jet has an 8" 1725 RPM bench grinder with Norton wheels. $329.99 shipped from Amazon.

Link --> https://www.amazon.com/Jet-JWBG-8-8-...t+8%22+grinder

I have some credit card rewards, which would about pay for it if I could use both card's points towards it. I think Ill just order it and quit over thinking this.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-27-2017, 05:26:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,881 Posts

Chris, I just got a nice Craftsman 6" wheel, 1/2 inch arbor at an estate sale- probably 30 years old, light use, good wheel & wire wheel. Seems to me unless you are willing to spend big and buy industrial grade, the consumer stuff around now is very poor quality. The wheels on the ones in big box look like something I do not want to be near when they are spinning.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:18:41 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Chris, I just got a nice Craftsman 6" wheel, 1/2 inch arbor at an estate sale- probably 30 years old, light use, good wheel & wire wheel. Seems to me unless you are willing to spend big and buy industrial grade, the consumer stuff around now is very poor quality. The wheels on the ones in big box look like something I do not want to be near when they are spinning.
You're right about the consumer grade stuff any more. People want cheap, not good, and most tools like that get used just a few times, so they normally outlast the warranty.

I ordered the Jet. I've got 2 other Jet power tools at my shop, and they've been really good so far. Hopefully this one is, too.

Chris