Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Browser Configuration

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2993 times

Old 05-16-2006, 09:25:21 PM
Registered-III

Default Browser Configuration

How do I reset my browser to allow me to see the links on the e-bay section ? THANKS KEVIN
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2006, 01:10:05 AM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 6,005 Posts
Default Re: Browser Configuration

You don't say which browser you are using but I'm guessing it's IE......
MANY problems, INCLUDING uploading pics to THIS SITE, can be fixed by clearing out all your temp files. They are CALLED temp files because that is what they ARE. Some are SCARED TO DEATH to delete this JUNK and then wonder why their browser or computer is either SLOW or not working right.

In your browser click on TOOLS; INTERNET OPTIONS; Delete Files at which point a popup will open......check DELETE ALL OFFLINE CONTENT and then OK. Now click on CLEAR HISTORY (I have MINE set for 0 days). Close and open your browser and I'll bet things will work differently.
Please post back.....I have another little "built in" windows utility that most people don't use........but SHOULD.......

Here is a terrific program that will clean out ALL your temp files from ALL the places Windows keeps this junk: http://www.stevengould.org/software/.../download.html
Don't worry about the disclaimer.....but if it will make you feel better set a restore point before running the program.
I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY on BOTH my BUSINESS and HOME computers.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:19:26 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,507 Times in 2,522 Posts

The eBay links do not show if you are running Norton Internet Security or other types of firewalls. I run McAffee and have had no problem with that, but Norton is definitely a problem.

SmokStak and Enginads uses an item called HTTP_REFERER so as to be certain that only our programs run our programs. You need to turn on HTTP_REFERER if you have it turned off.

Also, Norton may be purposely dumping advertising. That's what pays the bill here so please do set up your firewall with www.smokstak.com and www.enginads.com in the allowed section. www.qksrv.net handles our eBay links, so add them to the OK list too.

In short, if you cripple your web browser, features that you may want will be lost.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:43:18 PM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 6,005 Posts

I also use McAfee VirusScan ONLY....NOT the "suite"....for virus protection and ISS Black Ice as a software firewall in addition to the hardware firewall in my wireless router and have never experienced any problems anywhere at any time.
Norton............been there done that............
Old 12-17-2006, 07:45:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,447 Times in 850 Posts

Well....???? I got Updated Nortons on 2 PC's and have no problem with Harrys advertisers or Ebay Links...????

Maybe just Because I'm a Nice Guy....

Only Problem I have had Lately is with My Lovely Satellite ISP... It just starts Working Good... Then they Mess with it and Screw it all up....