Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

maytag running without condenser

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1520 times

Old 08-09-2015, 11:25:06 AM
Registered-II

Default maytag running without condenser

hi, I have a maytag model 92 with a bosh FYED4 magneto.It runs good slow and under load.iv put about an hour running time on it through the last couple of years.It is running without a condenser.Any input would be great.also the points are not getting burnt.thanks ken
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2015, 12:38:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,718 Times in 4,267 Posts
Default Re: maytag running without condenser

I have heard of engines running with the points disconnected (B&S model 19 and a Contenental AU), but have not heard of a condenser type engine running without one. I suspect if the coil is really good, and you have strong magnets, it will work, but eventually you will see point burn. The purpose of the condenser, primarily, is to cause rapid reversal of current in the primary winding, which in turn causes a rapid drop in the magnetic field that causes secondary generation of voltage. Without the condenser, the field collapse is not as rapid or strong. You must have a real good coil there! depending on matching capacity with the primary power, that will cause deposits on either point, depending on capacity match. if the match is 'perfect' there will be virtually no transfer. I had a chevy 6 cylinder that had a set of points last for over 70,000 miles! When I replaced the points and condenser - about 15,000 miles was the best it got.
Andrew
Old 08-12-2015, 10:26:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: maytag running without condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuna View Post
Are you positive the condenser is not hiding someplace?
If the spark plug gap is smaller then the point gap the engine will start and run. IE points 18 thousands plug gap 16 thousands. Steve