Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

9984 Zenith Carb

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 963 times

Old 08-18-2015, 02:22:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,300 Times in 539 Posts
Default 9984 Zenith Carb

Have a Zenith carb on Continental F162 that keeps leaking intermittently. I cleaned carb and engine runs fine. After sitting for sometimes days carb doesn't leak out choke. Then it will start on its own. Finally I put kit with new needle and seat. Same thing. Also changed float.Still intermittently leaks like needle is not holding. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 06:42:36 PM
Banner Sponsor

Default Re: 9984 Zenith Carb

Intermittent is the worst. I'm not sure if you mean that sometimes when you go to the engine you can see wetness or you actually see it dripping? Is it possible it is heat related(changing temperatures)? If you are around it while it is leaking, try to find a way to look into the intake of the carb and see where it is coming from. As in be sure it is not leaking at the nozzle gasket(the fuel level is at or above that and if it's not sealing it will leak there. If it is leaking from the nozzle tip then the bowl is overfilling. Dirt dabbers in the bowl vent could cause it as the air cannot escape from the bowl area. Is the tank vented?

The seat must seal to the casting and the needle must seal to the seat. The float must be free to move without any dragging or binding and with the fuel level correct. The nozzle must seal to the casting, and the bowl must be vented to the atmosphere. If all the aforementioned is working as described then the float valve is being overpowered by fuel pressure. My best guess would be trash in fuel getting between needle and seat, faulty fuel valve(non concentric/rough edges), something is not sealing completely, and too much fuel pressure in that order. That's all I got. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:13:03 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 9984 Zsdtenith Carb

Not my first carb. Done lots of Marvels in my MM's over the years. I am wondering if maybe gas cap or too much volume for needle to handle?. Am running line vertical into carb.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16:16 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: 9984 Zsdtenith Carb

Nothing has been changed from factory.