Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

"The Schebler" Carb

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2019 times

Old 06-27-2015, 09:33:35 PM
Registered-III

Default "The Schebler" Carb

Just recently got a Cushman 4 hp Binder with a brass Schebler Carb.
I can't find any numbers on it, just "The Schebler" on the top of the bowl.
The Cushman has been dated to be 1915.
I've fixed a couple of leaks with new gaskets and thread dope, but hope somebody can help with some questions on the carb.
first, the face of the carb where the spring loaded air intake bolts on has a groove cut into the face.
It looks to be machined in the brass, but leaves a little drip from the joint.
Should it be there, or was it added for some reason, and needs to be filled in?
Also, inside the upper section that has the choke butterfly, there's what I guess used to be a vent hole that has been brazed/leaded in on the outside.
there is still a tiny copper tube hanging down from there, but don't guess it does anything now. Is that critical to it's running?
It starts easy enough, but won't run smoothly without constantly working the choke butterfly back and forth. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance for information/advice on the carb.

Truman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schebler Carb Groove.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	228599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schebler Vent Braze (360x640).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	228600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schebler Cushman Carb (360x640).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	228601  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2015, 09:42:44 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: "The Schebler" Carb

I will make it quick and easy go under search and type in Schebler carb problems ECT ECT you will find a wealth of information, also Cushman engine carb problems. after you read those most of your problems/questions will be solved. kp
Old 06-28-2015, 02:08:40 PM
Subscriber

The copper tube is a Cushman thing that I don't know if any other makers used.

The tube is used to "vacuum up" any fuel that falls or condenses in the inlet "elbow". I guess other Schebler users just let it fall out or evaporate.

To get the desired vacuum cleaning effect, the tubing needed to run from the high vacuum area above the throttle butterfly plate to the bottom area of the inlet. In lieu of an available internal passages to use, the tube was installed around the throttle butterfly shaft, exiting through a drilled hole above the shaft and then re-entering below the shaft through another drilled hole. Both holes were sealed around the tubing by soldering. The lower end of the tube is bent so it sucks right down at the lowest part of the parting line between the carb sections to suck properly, I would think.

I've run across numerous instances where the tube was thought to be a "shade tree mechanic" modification including a few where the tube was unceremoniously removed as unwanted when, at least for the sake of originality, it maybe should have been left in place.

I don't think the tube is needed for the engine to run properly and any difference in the air/fuel ratio created by it sucking air is compensated for with adjustment of the main jet mixture needle. Obviously, this induces some unregulated aspects for air/fuel ratio but it must have worked and thought to be needed or Cushman would have not done the extra work.

Best guess is it would mitigate fuel dripping out of the carb onto the ground and might act as a tattle tale to an astute and alert operator of other problems needing attention.

That's some info I've acquired about the Cushman modification to the Schebler D used on binder engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidDynamo For This Post:
Old 06-28-2015, 05:00:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for both replies.
In looking for Schebler information, probably the best information I found was on a marine engine site- oldmarineengine.com.
From there I got a really detailed diagram of the particular model carb I have.
think I found my main problem when I took the top off the bowl today, though.
The float is the horseshoe shaped cork one, and it was stuck to the bottom of the bowl.
It came out easy enough, but then broke apart in my hands from the dry rot.
Looking for a replacement now, and might even get a piece of cork tomorrow and try shaping one out myself.
Thanks again for the information,

Truman
Old 07-05-2015, 08:57:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,356 Posts

Dave Reed at Otto Gas Engine Works sells new floats .... better than cork. He's a sponsor here.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:23:07 PM
Subscriber

I have 4 hp Cushman that needs parts for the Schebler carb, Does anyone have gaskets,and other parts for sale ? It is a dx 294. JBO in California