Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

1954 American LaFrance Pumper

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1900 times

Old 04-24-2014, 10:36:47 PM
Registered

Default 1954 American LaFrance Pumper

Just bought a 1954 American LaFrance pumper. Drove it for a day and it ran fine. Went to put more gas in. I thought with it being an older motor it needed lead additive to preserve the valve seats. It still had about 5 gallons of gas in it, so I added 10 gals of gas and one bottle of lead additive that is supposed to treat up to 20 gals. Continued to run fine for several miles afterwards and then I parked for awhile. After I started up and drove again the engine started cutting out and losing power. As I pressed on the gas I could hear there were cylinders cutting out (not firing) and then hear loud backfires as the raw fuel went out the exhaust. I'm guessing the lead additive mixed in after a bit and fouled some of the plugs causing the misfiring. Since then I've read that my engine was manufactured before lead fuel and I only needed to run straight premium gas with no additives. At this point, ''m looking for advice as to what happened and what do I do next. Can I just add more regular premium gas in hopes of diluting the lead additive? Or will I be forced to try and drain 10 gals of gas into gas cans? I talked to another fire truck owner and he told me he only burns premium unleaded with no additives. HELP! :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 10:40:58 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: 1954 American LaFrance Pumper

Did you look at the plugs? Does it have a sediment bowl? Water'll cause such. Don't think the lead would.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:31:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: 1954 American LaFrance Pumper

Haven't checked the plugs yet, but I will. And I will look for a sediment bowl. I'm not sure on that either. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago. I drained nearly all the fuel from the tank, about 10 gallons, and added fresh gas. Same thing again. Had to jump start it, but it ran perfect down the highway for about 8 miles and stopped at a car show. Battery died. Got it restarted and it idle's fine, but won't hardly run when you give it gas. If you let it idle, it's perfect. Give it gas and it acts like it's flooding the engine. I'm now thinking it is an ignition problem. My theory right now is that the alternator (it was converted, but is otherwise original v-12) is not charging the batteries, they are getting drained, and then not providing enough power to the distributor to fire all of the cylinders, thus, making the engine flood and die. Sound reasonable? Next chance I get, I'm going to pull the alternator and get it tested along with both batteries. It has two 12 volt Interstate batteries connected in series, + to + and - to -.