Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Thomas Middleton & Putnam Machine works steam up

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1112 times

Old 03-21-2016, 07:40:07 PM
Subscriber

Default Thomas Middleton & Putnam Machine works steam up

A Friend invited me out to his steam up. Greg has a collection of gas and steam engines that can rival any collection in the country! For the first half of the morning I fired his boiler for him. It’s a 30 horse power Return flue boiler and I was firing on wood. We ran two engines. The Thomas Middleton rocking beam and the Putnam Machine works. I discovered real fast that these fine old engines are not nearly as efficient as later models! I ran a ¾ injector continuously! To feed the boiler. It was a lot of fun.
Greg does not stop at just restoring the engines, His shed runs “Knob and tube” style wiring and period correct lighting fixtures and bulb’s It really adds to the ambiance.
The Thomas Middleton walking beam is an annular compound engine. The high pressure piston is 7” and the low pressure piston is a “ring” around the high pressure cylinder with a 9 inch id and a 20! Inch od, 24” stroke. The cylinder assembly is about the size or a 55 gallon drum. It came from a flour mill near Canterbury via Henry Ford. Built around the 1860s
The other engine is a Putnam Machine works, also from the 1860s and from the Payne Furniture factory near Boston. 6” bore and a 24”! stroke. Two real interesting engines!
Thanks Greg! I had a GREAT time!

Here are two short videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDyQ30AmTjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpgzxPicUIo

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Horse Boiler.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	249514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Putnam Machine works.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	249515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thomas Middleton.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	249516  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2016, 09:56:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,478 Times in 512 Posts
Default Re: Thomas Middleton & Putnam Machine works steam up

Awesome engines. Any pics of the machine tools you can share? I see a fairly early planer, a travelling head shaper and a drill press.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBoogie For This Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 11:53:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,404 Times in 690 Posts

Steam doesn't get any better than this. Magnificent engines Greg...just marvelous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lester Bowman For This Post:
Old 03-22-2016, 10:55:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,705 Times in 2,212 Posts

I like the engines and the nice boiler. The pantograph mechanism to keep the piston rod in a straight line on beam engines is always interesting.
I always liked knob and tube wiring, which if done right is as safe as any wiring done by any modern "journeymen" electricians today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 03-22-2016, 11:13:57 AM
Subscriber

Jboggie
Greg has a few machine tools and a few very nice gas engines but I only took a few pictures with my phone of what we were running.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:48:28 PM
Subscriber

Wanted to say thanks to Dean for posting the videos and doing a great job firing for several hours. The pressure never strayed much from his 50 PSI target! Also thanks to Eric M. and Mike A. for their help.

The beam engine was brought to this country by the Henry Ford museum in 1933 and displayed at the museum until about 1990. It was sold to another collector who never set it up. I acquired it a few years ago and Bill H (Enginebill) hauled it west. The engine originally was used at Anscombs Mill near Kent England and is probably the only annular compound rotative beam engine surviving. I do not have enough water here in S. California to run it condensing so there is a lot of uncondensed steam around the air pump. It was originally installed near a pond that supplied the condensing water. The mill building (converted to condos) and pond still exist.

The machine tools in the background include a 4' Putnam planer circa 1860 and a Whitworth traveling head shaper that once resided at the Henry Ford Museum.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Greg Johnson For This Post:
Old 03-22-2016, 01:49:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,503 Times in 655 Posts

Thanks for the pictures.
Very nice equipment and building! It looks like a step back in time.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:22:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Greg, I had a great time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steamrguy For This Post:
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,404 Times in 690 Posts

Thank you very much for posting these videos of these unique and very early steam engines.These engines stand singular in their own existence predating to a period most of us are unfamiliar with because there are very simply few survivors from the period.

Such amazing engines from a lost period of which very little documentation exists in the form of pictures or historical setting.Greg..you have done a marvelous recreation of what they would have looked like in a factory.mill or shop. I've got to say..the foundations are just beautiful and truly add a special dimension to these marvelous engines.

The Thomas Middleton engine is extremely rare.Nor only in the sense of survivors but also in the sense of condensing.This is something VERY rarely seen in this country.It is also a very small Beam engine possibly the smallest English built Beam in America. Leno may have one slightly smaller..Greg's is more impressive

Amazing engines restored by an amazing man.Incredible survivors showing us an era which is very seldom seen in our world of steam.I know it cost you a bunch Greg to bring these unique engines to this point.Thank you deeply for allowing us to catch a peek of you vision and incredible restoration of these two wonderful engines built by men with minds and hands much like your own. yes..thank you!

Last edited by Lester Bowman; 03-26-2016 at 10:31:29 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lester Bowman For This Post:
Old 03-27-2016, 08:52:57 AM
Registered-I

Thanks for this, I love that beam engine!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandiapaul For This Post: