Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Old Shaper

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 5270 times

Old 09-30-2006, 09:25:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,856 Times in 1,731 Posts
Default Old Shaper

I found an old shaper. It's supposed to be in good shape, but has been out in the weather for a while. I can get it for the scrap value. Should I grab it??
Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shaper.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	11782  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2006, 01:17:32 PM
Franz

Default Re: Old Shaper

I would. If nothing else, you can clean it up a bit and turn a profit selling it to an Amishman smart enough to know the value of old iron.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:49:22 PM
Subscriber

That is a Gould and Eberhardt shaper, should have a 16" stroke and about a 22" (if memory is correct) longitudinal table travel. My brother and I aquired one just like it from a school for $80 on a sealed bid. Very rugged machine, can take cuts about 1/4" at a time. So, if it ain't broke, grab it and clean it up and have some fun making chips. Just don't stand in front of it when taking heavy cuts, them chips can fly many feet. PT
Old 10-02-2006, 11:38:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,856 Times in 1,731 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm definitely going to try and get it. There is also a Brown and Sharpe horizontal mill at the same place. I'll try to get that too.

Mike
Old 10-04-2006, 01:03:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,078 Times in 495 Posts

One thing to keep in mind, is that - sure if its a gift and you end up making it into a yard ornament thats fine. but, the last post just told you the going rate at auction for a nice clean rust free complete working shaper is 80.00.
I think 50 to 200 has been my observation.

Do you really need a big project like this to save 80 dollars? I suggest you tell the two guys below where it is and challenge them to go get it. You can do better than that.

Do you have acess to scrap iron yards, some places take in machines like this on almost a weekly basis. Often nice clean machines if you make your interest know ahead of time, you might do a lot better either condition wise or an older machine. Also those trade school auctions, again good working machines often sold for short money.

I think the shaper is a cool machine, and its one of the few antiques i have actually setup and operational-- but having said that sometimes a little discretion will allow you to channel your energy in more worthwhile direction.

I have not been following your postings here, but i assume you already have a good full size lathe and bridgeport. if not, then I would get setup with the king and queen of the shop first then worry how you are going to fill up the rest of your floor space. I made the mistake of getting an old cinncinatti miller first then later i got a bridgeport. Now, no room, and I be lucky to get 50 bucks for the cinn. Lucky its not a big shaper.

FWIW