Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Wagner Electric Motor 2 h.p. early

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 7473 times

Old 12-22-2010, 09:26:55 AM
Registered-I

Default Wagner Electric Motor 2 h.p. early

Hi all , am looking for any info on this vintage motor, it is very heavy and is marked Wagner electric company St. Louis . is is also marked 2 H.P. this was being used to run a line shaft system in an old garge. We just rescued it is is free moving and well oiled I think it probably works. any info is greatly appreciated and I would like to find it a new home also. Thanks Gene
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27:55 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wagner electric motor 2 h.p. early

Could you post photos?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 08:59:43 PM
Registered-II

Ditto Photos, it could be Repulsion Induction or Capacitor start, single phase?

Have 2 Wagner Repulsion Induction 1 HP motors, they are '20 - 30's, very heavy 70 lbs each, can be wired for 125 or 240 VAC, large single side shaft about 5/8 or 3/4 have not measured. Both frame 204. Frame is mounting flange/size etc prior to NEMA stds in mid '50's. Capacitor start motors are not as old.

Repulsion Induction are very high torque starting motors with internal bush set that upon 70-80 % RPM the brushes lift off the commutator and a shorting ring seats then the motor functions as a normal induction motor. Very noisy, some may have nice light show of sparks at start up, then run smooth as silk. Brush assy orientation determines starting rotation direction. Will have a "neutral" position then 15 or so degrees left or right to set the direction.

Only thing that I've really found is link below with PDF.

http://wiki.owwm.com
/%28S%28caum21554h0xrm55vm3mcw55%29%29/GetFile.aspx?File=Wagner%20Electric/Service%20Instuctions%20Repulsion.pdf&AspxAutoDete ctCookieSupport=1

Most motor info on the Wagner is scarce, have been looking myself for a couple years now and found very little. Much more general info on Repulsion Induction, and for GE or Century models.

Post picture.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32:21 PM
Registered-III

Ram,

Thanks for the pdf, very interesting! I love these old electric machines, just acquired a Century 1/2 hp repulsion start induction run motor. Neat to see a trouble shooting guide for this style motor!

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike G For This Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02:48 PM
Registered-I

Default Wagner Electric Motor 2 h.p. early

Here are some photos any help is appreciated. thanks Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	96079   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor1.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	96080   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor2.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	96081   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor3.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	96082  
The Following User Says Thank You to ewfox For This Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 11:09:09 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Wagner Electric Motor 2 h.p. early

Very nice looking old Wagner. Sure looks like a Repulsion start Induction run from the brush assy that is visible though the back end bell.

Have you tried to spin her up? Do you know what voltage she is wired up to run on?

If not you may have some difficulty reading the wires when you open the can. And be very careful if they are cotton covered, the thin amount of rubber under the cotton sleeve gets so brittle with age that it just splinters under the cotton. If you already know it runs on 240 its some what easier to id the wiring later. It would most likely have two windings in the frame both in series for 240. If its wired for 120 then they are in parallel.

I've read some place that the resistance of each coil should be around 16 ohms. That would be +/- 32 ohms for 240 vac. And +/- 8 ohms for 120 vac. (that is based upon what a 1 hp motor as mine is for its current draw, over all the same principle would apply for yours if it is in fact a repulsion induction)

Very hard to read the name tag with the blue lint and patina of the tag.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:51:51 AM
Registered-I

Thanks a bunch , I realy do not know about much in this field just couldnt let it go top the scraap yard too neat. Do you know of a value of this motor and where doe one attempt to sell it. ? Thanks and Happy Holidays

Gene
Old 12-24-2010, 10:39:43 AM
Registered-II

If she run's $50 to $100 or so depending upon what someone will pay mostly.
Not running, very little other then scrap value.

They cost a bunch to ship. Would advise local pickup.
You could run add in ebay or craig's list or classifieds in sites such as this or wood working sites.

Not much a market for older motors unless someone needs the parts or the exact motor. They don't have modern equipment standard base mounts. To get the older mounts you either have to fab an adapter or purchase one for that frame. Also count against you.

If you have not powered her up, then you can not answer if it does run, how the bearings sound, if she spins up quickly, runs smooth when brushes drop out, and if hums or vibrates!

Those who collect them may not or may not be interested in due to distance from you, and running condition. I don't feel that many collect these older motors, most have them that run and keep running them until they die then modernize. If any actual collectors do exist I have not been able to find any for parts the ones I own.

To get the best info on these you have to find a nut that is interested in them or find an older fella that has repaired them in the past.

Good luck with it and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years
Old 12-24-2010, 01:12:59 PM
Registered-III

ewfox,

Thanks for posting photos! I agree with Ram about the demand for these, I don't think many people collect them like engines. However, a friend and I collect antique electrical stuff, there are people interested out there.

I would imagine that someone my be interested if they have an old machine that needs a motor and want it to look correct. If it runs, I would not scrap it. Maybe throw it on engine ads? I would not ship unless someone is willing to pay for the costs (including crating).

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike G For This Post:
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45:58 PM
Registered-I

Thanks a milion, I also have a line shaft with puleys and other things that go with it. Any idea on this stuff? all the brackets have 1905 patent dates I also have all the oil cups and bearings there are also an end shaft holder and two split pulleys do not know mucha bout these also. Thans and merry christmas too you both . Gene
Old 10-02-2011, 07:42:57 PM
Registered

Gene, my name is rick. I am a huge fan of antique motors. I will gladly take it into my home, and restore it. Please email me as soon as you get this message. Rychdawg@yahoo.com. I have a cell, 412 980 5128. Please contact me as soon as possible thankyou.

Gene, its rick, running or not ill take it because i will get it running in museum condition. No worries ill pay shipping or better yet drive up to you to pick it up. I will pay good money. Lets talk a good price please contact. Thanks rich.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,856 Times in 1,731 Posts

Rich,
I hope you sent Gene an email about the motor because it's highly unlikely that you will get his attention here. He has not been on this website since 12/27/2010.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146