Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Drag Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Drag Saw Collectors Water cooled drag saws; Hercules, Ottawa, Wade, Vaughan, Witte, Timberwolf and Multnomah

Drag Saw Collectors

Ottawa es fuel mixer question

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 584 times

Old 03-20-2019, 05:05:53 PM
Registered

Default Ottawa es fuel mixer question

Hello, I have a question on my Ottawa ES fuel mixer, is has down draft type of fuel feed. Gas tank bracket bolt to head. Has good compression, valve guides replaced. Will not draw fuel into cylinder. Photos attached, is something missing?? Couldn't find any timing marks on flywheel or crank, setting ignitor to trip just before TDC.
Any help is greatly appreciated. First post here!
Engine # ES6418
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3474.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	331049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3476.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	331050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3477.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	331051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3480.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	331052  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2019, 05:12:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: Ottawa es fuel mixer question

It could be updraft, I am not sure.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:39:30 AM
Registered

it looks all there, it is an updraft. make sure nothing is plugged up and the washer has to be set at the right place on the needle stud. someone had the setting on another post about the model LS.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:42:33 AM
Registered

look at the question on 2 hp ottawa it says 3/4 washer and setting is just under an inch from the tip of the needle.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:18:12 PM
Registered

Yep, that was me, still haven’t got it to run more than a few minutes, doesn’t make enough power to cut. Bout ready to screw a hercules mixer on it so I can at least run it and trouble shoot. Once it’s right, I’ll switch back. Got a feeling I have more problems than the mixer. Good luck with it.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:29:01 PM
Registered

Hello,I have been messing with a rather cantankerous brass ottawa carb myself and made a few trial and error successes lately.....
Just a few questions,I see this is a thread that started back in March then renewed last week
Your air needle....is that the current position of the washer?seems low on shaft
Is your fuel tank rusty or scaly?A pinhead size piece of rust will plug your main jet and prevent combustion
You mentioned it won't run for more than a few minutes....does it backfire before quitting,(lean) or sputter and miss with weak smoky explosion(rich and flooding)
If it's leaning out,your main jet is probably plugging,or your not drawing enough fuel on charge stroke,which could be vacuum related due to air leakage at fuel lines,worn out rings,or improper exhaust valve timing
Flooding is weak spark or fuel needle open too far....usually a problem easier to troubleshoot than the lean problems
With the carb off and fuel needle open,blow through the fuel port and pull on the main jet needle from the top....there's not much throw on that either less than a sixteenth of an inch,probably closer to a 32nd....and air should pass.
If this checks out,put your carb back on,open the fuel needle a half turn,prime your cylinder with a couple tablespoons of gas,and get it firing.It will fire all of the primer in a couple cycles. ...if it continues to run after that,it's drawing from your tank and now you need to adjust your fuel jet a quarter turn at a time until it runs steady with minimal missing
What is your ignition source....magneto or coil battery?