Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Wanted, Waukee Swap Meet info.

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 4598 times

Old 04-11-2011, 09:56:44 AM
Subscriber

Default Wanted, Waukee Swap Meet info.

It's been several years since I attended Waukee and had heard it wasn't the same as it once was....I know about the chance for bad weather...been caught several times...but is the swap meet in general still pretty big and good? thanks...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 07:36:13 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,603 Times in 614 Posts
Default Re: Wanted, Waukee Swap meet info.

i hav'nt been in a few years myself. the last time i went it was going downhill fast, it used to be one of the best. i'm kinda curious myself if it is much of anything anymore......john
Old 04-11-2011, 08:10:36 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Wanted, Waukee Swap meet info.

I'll tag along and watch the replies. Have not attended in several years. The reports had not been good, difficult to get off work that week, and a 14 hour drive; but retired now and had thought about going.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50:32 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wanted, Waukee Swap Meet info.

It's only a 2 1/2 hr drive for me and I can't see the need to go anymore. Last time I was there about 3 years ago it didn't take long to go through it. Mostly tractor parts and junk. I haven't heard anything positive about it in some time now.

Tim Christoff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Christoff For This Post:
Old 04-11-2011, 11:00:38 PM
Subscriber

I sure miss the good ol' days of Waukee. My first year there was in 1984. It kept on growing year after year until it was bulging at the seams. Got some great memories of those days. I was last there 2 years ago and it was quite a bit smaller than the first year I was there in 84.

Consequently, My fist year at LeSuer,(LeCenter then) was also 1984. It was a great one day only swap that kept evolving and drawing more. It had to move in about 1990 to a larger venue, and I think it gets bigger and more impressive each year.

I wish the management would take lessons from LeSuer or Portland. Waukee was a big one. I wish they could get it together again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom S For This Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 10:28:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,140 Times in 620 Posts

In an attempt to revive the swap,they have made it free admission to spectators,but it is $50.00 to sell.
When stating they should take lessons,we should take lessons,for when we all want to buy and not run the show or gate,others will take over, most of whom never had an eninge. When people were first offended,they should have joined the club and ran the show.A show as such is what we make it,and so therefore,we are all at fault,it was our show,and we abandoned it,so others ,(who are now gone) took it over.
Some there would love to have it great again,and are working hard for a return,so join,be involved,and run the show.Its the only way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew Guy Clarke For This Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 02:03:33 PM
Subscriber

Sounds like things aren't the same....I used to go to Central Nebraska every spring and I'd plan it to go to Waukee as part of the trip....long way from San Diego...this year I need to be in Omaha soon and figured I might do like the old days but may re think that...Sorry to hear it's not like it was...all except getting mudded in "down over the hill". Thanks for the comments and hope for the best of a recovery on it.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:30:52 AM
Subscriber

There hasn't been much of anything down the hill for the last few times I was there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom S For This Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:52:05 PM
Subscriber

R. Kern,
Maybe you could time your trip with LeSueur Minn. swap meet end of April? Would be worth the extra drive!
J E
The Following User Says Thank You to J Eddy For This Post:
Old 05-16-2011, 01:46:20 PM
Registered

For all of you folks asking on this thread. It is true Waukee has "gone to hell in a handbasket" per say over the years. I should know I am a board member of the club. We as a board are trying to get the event back to what it used to be or as close as possible. Obviously, gas prices and the economy have hurt as well as high scrap metal prices have lowered the items available too. Last year (2010) we did for the first time in many years have vendors over the hill to the north. We also held a vendor meeting with any vendor that wanted to give us ideas to improve on the event. We took those ideas into consideration and have implemented changes. The main change is that there is no gate charge for buyers anymore. This did come with a cost to the vendors and we settled with $50 as we had suggestions for $25 to $75 from everyone. We will again have a meeting this year and hope to hear more good ideas and hopefully a few success stories for this years changes. We are also looking at other swaps and trying to use there ideas also. Our treasurer spoke with some folks at Le Suer and got some ideas from them that we are taking into consideration now for next year. So, bottom line is, we are trying to fix the past and build for the future. Join us for the ride we would love to have you.

Eric Lange
CHGEATA Vice President
515-979-6543
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stover seeker For This Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 12:42:22 AM
Registered-III

I have been to Waukee two times in the past 5 years. A vendor fee of $50 is well over double what you should be charging for a fee due to how small the meet has gotten. The Baraboo, Wisconsin swap meet easily has 10 times the vendors that Waukee has had the last few times I was at Waukee. Baraboo charges $25 for a vendor fee. Portland charges something like 4 or 5 bucks per day. If you want to attract more vendors, you need to lower your fee. VERY LITTLE changed hands when I was there two years ago. People weren't having much luck selling, and therefore didn't have money to buy from other vendors. If you really want to grow, I would strongly suggest you charge no more than $25 for a vendor fee to try to attract more vendors, and then increase the fee in a few years once some growth has actually occurred. A $50 fee is WAY too much for how small the meet has gotten to be. You need to keep in mind how much the vendors are spending just to travel TO the swap meet. With fuel prices being over 4 bucks per gallon and a $50 vendor fee, I'd bet you will have fewer vendors than you did last year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 01:30:30 AM
Registered-III

It was about 10 years ago, after driving all evening and most of the night, came into the parking area at Waukee in the early hours of the morning to get parked. Some security guard chased me out and said this is private property. I will not have plans to ever go there again...
Old 05-18-2011, 06:01:41 AM
Subscriber

I was planning to try and attend this year but I just go for the day and after driving for 3 hours (AT 15 MPG) to get there and having to spend $50 plus pay Iowa TAX IF I would sell anything - not too many folks were walking around last time I was there and not very many buying. I'm not a big time vendor like some so I can't spread the $50 over a large number of items, so $50 for the big guys and staying multiple days might not be too bad but for the smaller guy it is way out of line.
Charging a premimum either for the vendors or spectators when you are trying to attract people to come to your swap doesn't seem like a very good marketing strategy. If I remember correctly the high cost to get in was the downfall a few years ago .
Sorry to be so blunt, but that is the way I see it.
Dave
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidRaines For This Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 12:30:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,140 Times in 620 Posts

I plan to have a little set up near by, off the grounds,at least one day,if any one would like to see me,or pick up items. I would also like to look at any loads before they get on the grounds. If any one would like to know why I won't be on the grounds,please send me an email,I would like to inform them of why I won't be on the grounds. Matthew