Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

South Jacksonville, Illinois Show is Sept. 28, 29, 30

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 8028 times

Old 08-20-2013, 06:41:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: South Jacksonville, Illinois Show is Sept. 28, 29, 30

Glancing at the first two pictures in the opening post, I thought maybe you'd snuck in at the Freeport IL show when I wasn't looking.

Once I opened the thumbnail pictures though I saw the big diesel was different than ours and the oil pull has lugs on the back wheels.

Similar, but different.

Hope you have a good turnout.

We've made slight improvements again this year with ours, so hopefully we can pull it back from the brink.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26:50 PM
Registered-III

Oh Alan,

If we had went, I would have let you know.
Freeport does sound like fun, too.

Is the Freeport show in fear of becoming extinct?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54:18 PM
Registered

Hello all
Iím Richard Hembrough, Iím in charge of the gas engines and this will be my first year in charge. I have been exhibiting at the show now for over 30 years. This year we are featuring Hercules built engines and Wheel Horse garden tractors. If anyone would like to show an engine with a buzz saw or a log saw I can get some logs and limbs to cut. I will try to keep in touch form time to time.

Thanks Richard
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59:16 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T. View Post
Is the Freeport show in fear of becoming extinct?
There was rumor of that going around last year with people going around a couple other shows saying that we wouldn't be having a show this year, and some of the members even brought it up at one of the meetings last year so we actually had to vote on it last year whether or not to have a show this year.

Trying real hard to get things built back up again, and did have a little better turnout again this year, so things are looking a little better again for next year. There was a lot of damage done by certain board members over the years that dropped us lower and lower several years in a row, and then having to change our show dates because of the fair board changing their dates and running us out, we are now competing with another show not too far away. We've got a good board right now along with several others of us doing what we can to turn things around, but it's going to take time.

Older members dying off and/or slowing down with age, and not many young ones in the club, though we have had a few new young ones join in the last couple years. I brought in 5 of them myself, (that I know of), along with getting a couple 'former members' back that had left the club a couple administrations ago, but there's only so much I can do (sometimes in spite of myself with my knack for ticking people off). We need more people besides me trying to draw people in instead of running them out. And again.... we Do Have a good crew in charge now, so I'm hoping we can continue to make improvements. Trying to get a couple other 'former members' back again, but we still have a couple current members playing the part of a 'burr under the saddle' that kept it from happening yet this year. Hopefully Next year we will make That Happen.

A show needs equipment to draw a crowd, but it needs a crowd to pay to haul in the equipment. Kind of like the 'chicken and the egg'..... which one comes first. We just need to bite the bullet and get the equipment first or the crowd will never come. Just have to convince a few more people of that fact before we can make it happen. In the mean time, I try to advertize what we do have and draw in as many people I can with that. What we've lost in some areas, we've gained in others. For example, we've had a real good showing of vintage antique cars & trucks the last few years that has been growing steadily, and we still have the 12 horse sweep powered horse power threshing machine, huge Cooper Corliss steam engine, Heisler locomotive, and other key pieces of equipment that are somewhat unique to our show. Other displays come and go over the years.... we just need more of it coming again and less of it going.

Sorry for highjacking your thread with that, but it's all said and done now, and hopefully the rest of the thread will all be back on YOUR SHOW down there.

Looking forward to more pictures.

If I'm ever able to travel again, I may have to try to get down there one of these years. Used to go down near there every June for a huge car show, but it's been 15 years or more since I've made that trip. Might be nice to try it again sometime in the late Fall. (IF I'm able)
Old 09-24-2013, 10:49:37 PM
Subscriber

Its been a very long time since I went to Jacksonville, if this is the same one we went to back around '74-'75 it was a nice show back then, with the highways tore up in places , I am 45 miles west of St Louis, would it be better to go up 61 to 54 to 72, or 55 to 104,or through Alton up 67 if I decided to bring 2 small Mules a Chore Boy and a XK Economy for 2 days and a sleep over in the camper shell? Not real sure on it yet, but got the craving again LOL..
Old 09-26-2013, 09:04:43 AM
Subscriber

Rich, you might be better off going up 61 instead of going through traffic. I go through Alton but I am alot farther east. I will be there Saturday, last year was my first time there, I thought it was a really nice show.

Steve
Old 09-26-2013, 10:05:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanks Steve ,got a weather change coming and got to see what I feel like tonight, really want to go. After driving in St Louis for 30 yrs what was I thinking about??, with the traffic on 270 and 70 and 55, although I felt safer in the truck, be like hitting a brick wall, but I remember the craziness too.. LOL
Old 09-28-2013, 10:50:32 PM
Subscriber

Nice SHOW got to put this show on next year agenda, BIG turnout of crowd and engines. And met a lot of Stakkers ,hope it didn't rain up there, I just got backed in the barn and started here, glad I went through Alton instead of West......
Old 09-29-2013, 09:52:39 AM
Subscriber

Rich, glad you missed the rain. I did not think we were going to make it back to the car before it started, then it looked like all the clouds went up higher and broke up a little.
It was a really good show! Definitely worth going to!

Steve
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33:21 PM
Registered

WOW!!! what a weekend. This was my first time to run the gas engine area and i cant thank you guys enough for coming to the show. I meet a lot of new friends and enjoy talking to the old ones. Next year we will be featuring Stover built engines and i hope to try to get Allis Chalmers as a feature garden tractor. I hope you all had a great weekend and hope to see you next year. Thanks again Richard
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33:39 PM
Registered-II

It never really rained until after dark. Maybe 8 or later. Sunday morning by 9 you would not had know it had rained. It just settled the dust good. Left around 3. One of the things I like about this show is that at least half of the engine guys do not leave until Sunday afternoon. You can still go on Sundays and see a nice show. When I was leaving at 3 looked like most all of the vendors were still set up.

Now if they can just get wifi on the grounds (Richard)

Maybe next year with a new hip I will be able to get around better. Glad they let you ride your butt buggy around.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17:20 PM
Registered

Tom i will see what i can do. The next meeting i will have to bring that up. Did any of you guys take any pic. and was wondering if you can post them. I didn't get a chance to take any. thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 07:40:16 AM
Registered-II

Richard
I saw Debbie taking a few. Will see what she took. I know Janice took several but I don't if they do Smokstak. Maybe Jamie will post some.

The wifi is not that big a deal. I was just giving you a hard time.

When I got home I was messing with the toy hauler seeing what it weighed full and then empty. Trying to figure out why I was wearing out that one tire. The scale is 3 miles from home . When I got home from the last trip weighing the trailer, one of the wheel bearings had went out. I was lucky it did not go out on the 150 mile trip home. It was after dark when we got home from the trip from the show. Going to check the rest of the wheel bearings. Also the bearing that went out was not on the same wheel that the tire that was wearing funny on. Although it was on the same side.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:03:25 AM
Registered

Tom,
being over here in Korea I Missed the show. WiFi would be good for people to Skype with family and friend who could not make it. I would pay for membership just to vote.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:03:00 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nowak View Post
Richard
I saw Debbie taking a few. Will see what she took. I know Janice took several but I don't if they do Smokstak. Maybe Jamie will post some.

The wifi is not that big a deal. I was just giving you a hard time.

When I got home I was messing with the toy hauler seeing what it weighed full and then empty. Trying to figure out why I was wearing out that one tire. The scale is 3 miles from home . When I got home from the last trip weighing the trailer, one of the wheel bearings had went out. I was lucky it did not go out on the 150 mile trip home. It was after dark when we got home from the trip from the show. Going to check the rest of the wheel bearings. Also the bearing that went out was not on the same wheel that the tire that was wearing funny on. Although it was on the same side.
Glad you made it home,been a big time mess if wheel would have locked up or come off and tore the trailer up!!I lost another wheel cover on one trailer wheel, for some reason it don't like to have a cover on it, makes 3 so far , got 2 left from Mt Pleasant out of 4 LOL, That I have to check before next years outings ,I repacked last year before takeing the Stickney to MT Pleasant and put new tires on after Denmark when I scattered one and tweaked the fender and the front on that side had a ostrich egg bulge on it too.......
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11:11 PM
Subscriber

Here are a few photos. Was a large crowd especially on Saturday, with a good turn out of engines.
Richard did a swell job with the engine area.
Maybe someone will recognize the engines in last two pics?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06431.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	176214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06433.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	176215   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06436.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	176216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06438.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	176217  
Old 10-01-2013, 09:18:54 PM
Subscriber

A few more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06450.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	176222   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06451.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	176223   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06455.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	176224   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06459.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	176225  
Old 10-01-2013, 09:36:17 PM
Subscriber

I think this must have been the feature engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06468.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	176226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06445.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	176227  
Old 10-01-2013, 09:39:10 PM
Subscriber

Tell your better half thanks for the pic,s of the Chore Boys coming out party LOL I will catch up with you the thanks button I used up again.... See ya at the next show somewhere Rich..
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42:47 PM
Subscriber

Thats about it for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06465.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	176228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06462.jpg
Views:	16