Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Freeport Illinois Threshing Show

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3567 times

Old 07-30-2012, 12:03:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,037 Times in 3,804 Posts
Default Freeport Illinois Threshing Show

I have a few other threads going as well, but figured I should get a posting in the Shows & Swap Meets forum.

The STEPHENSON COUNTY ANTIQUE ENGINE CLUB in Freeport Illinois is having its 43rd Annual Old-Time Threshing & Antique Show, August 3rd, 4th, & 5th, 2012.

The Feature Tractor is Oliver tractors and equipment, and the club has had some Spec Cast Oliver Tractors made up for the show which I believe are priced at $50.00 each. I don't think they are Individually numbered, but they do have a small plaque attached to the tractor frame and are labled on the box as being 1 of 100 made. Sec Cast puts more detail into their tractors than ERTL did, and these are highly detailed and sure to go up in value. Many of them were 'pre-ordered' and are already gone, but there should be some available yet in the Oliver feature area.

The Feature Engine this year is "Odd Ball and out of the Ordinary Engines" so if you have something that really stands out and doesn't fit in with other displays, this is the place to go this year.

We are also hosting the Henney Homecoming Reunion, co-sponsoring the event with the Stephenson County Historical Society and the Henney Chapter of the Professional Car Society. Along with the Henny Hearse, Ambulance, and Flower Car owned by the club, we are proud to say that we will have the 1927 Henney Funeral Coach featured in the Movie "Get Low" with Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, & Sissy Spacek, and other veicles and memorabilia from the Henney Buggy Company and the Henney Motor Car Company of Freeport Illinois.

Please see the clubs website at www.thefreeportshow.com for more information. I believe there is also a mapquest link on the website for driving directions, along with contact information for various questions on different displays.

The last I heard, due to scheduling snafu's, we will only be having One Steam Traction Engine this year, so we will be using more of the smaller tractors for the threshing and sawmill, but there will still be those activities, PLUS the barrel stave mill, shingle mill, prony brake and dynanometer, 12 horse sweep powered horse power threshing, antique cars and trucks, antique fire trucks, tractors, hit and miss and throttle governed engines (some powering equipment in their displays), operating Blacksmith Shop, 60hp Fairbanks Morse Diesel, several large buildings full of displays, large Flea Market, Midwest Championship Antique Tractor Pulls, Horse Pulls, Daily Parade, and a mile down the road from the Fairgrounds we have the Clubs Silvercreek Museum, the huge 130 Ton Cooper Corliss Stationary Steam Engine, and the Silver Creek & Stephenson Railroad offering Steam Train Rides with the 1912 Heisler Logging Locomotive.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 12:36:44 AM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Freeport Illinois Threshing Show

Just got a 20-40 G OilPull hauled in down at the Museum to be worked on a little bit before bringing up to the fairgrounds.

Was owned by Dick Murphy, and his son dug it out to bring it in to the show again where it will be stored and hopefully become a permanent fixture at the Freeport Show.

With a little tinkering, they had it running this afternoon for the first time in 24 years as it hasn't been run since 1988

I shot a couple short video clips of it that I pieced together on the computer tonight into a longer approximately 53 second video to post on youtube the next time I get in to the Library. Don't know if I'll have time this week, or if it will have to wait until after the show is over, but I'll post a link when I get it on there.

In the mean time, here's a few pictures of it, including one from the clubs 10th anniversary book back in 1979 when it didn't have a roof on it.

Now if we can only get a few more Oilpulls there again.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 308.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	141090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 309.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	141091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 310.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	141094   Click image for larger version

Name:	1979 10th anniversary book picture.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	141095  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 04:51:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Freeport Illinois Threshing Show

The 20-40 is up on the show grounds today, and I stopped in at the Library and got my video posted of the first run in 24 years.

http://youtu.be/rYvZxQTi1ZQ
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 05:41:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,838 Times in 768 Posts

I don't know if I'll make it up to freeport this year, will it be coming to any other shows you know of? nice looking machine, glad to see it back running!
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 11:46:47 PM
Subscriber

I don't know.... I guess that would be up to the owner and whether he and/or other clubs want to arrange and pay for trucking from Freeport and back again.

I'm just happy as can be to see something big back at Freeport again. We've lost a lot of good equipment over the years with some of being sold off and leaving the area, and others disappearing due to trucking costs and other reasons.

I hope it becomes a 'Trend' and we start getting more larger tractors again.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37:16 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Freeport Illinois Threshing Show

Guess I forgot to give Paul a better update a few days after the show, but the 20-40 G is stored in the middle of the clubs building by the sawmill. I was hoping maybe it would have been driven back down the road to the railroad and museum and could have been used during the Fall Plowing demonstrations, but I asked about it too late and it was already packed away for the year.

Hopefully I get my but in gear and get it posted on the calendar earlier in the year than what I have been doing, but figured I'd at least post next years date here.

The dates for the 44th annual show will be August 2nd, 3rd, & 4th 2013

Show Feature will be Massey Harris Tractors & Equipment,
and Gasoline Alley will feature Stover Engines & Equipment.

Don't know yet what we will have for steam engines, but hopefully we don't end up with the same snafu we had this year and only have one steam engine show up.

The 20-40G Oil Pull will obviously be there, and if the plans don't fall through due to work schedule, I have some other big ones talked in to coming back again. Hopefully one (or more ?) of oilpulled's, and a few others from a very extensive local collection that haven't been shown anywhere in a while, though I don't know yet what or how many they will be bringing. I will have to try to stay in contact with Ed and ihredo4 and a couple/few others, and hope for the best, but I am doing my part anyway to try to build things back up again.

Once I get it posted on the calendar, I will start a new thread for next years show, and hopefully have a better idea what will be showing up above and beyond the usual show features as listed at the bottom of my opening post on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	in storage 8-6-2012.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	148988