Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Osage, Iowa show and videos

this thread has 147 replies and has been viewed 19290 times

Old 08-23-2006, 10:58:34 PM
Agitator

Default Re: Osage, IA show...and videos

One of my friends told me that it is Case year this year at Rollag, MN. Are there going to be any 110 hp. Case steam engines there?

L. Leakwater
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 11:28:03 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,294 Times in 734 Posts

Lippy there should be 3 there.
guys im still trying to figure out what this engine has won? LOL most 110s out there have developed more than 144 hp, so that beats the 40. and a good 110 doesn't fail on pulling 14 bottoms, so its lost nothing there. is it the winner of sucking back a lot of water? everyone thinks becasue it doesn't bark its not working but the guys have already discussed earlier on this thread that the CC muffles it. how come the 110 only pulled 120 hp this year on the brake? your had the chance to do equal testing its too bad it didnt happen. i guess next year they'll have to try it. it was nice that reeves nut put some videos on here and didn't brag it up but then the same old hot air started coming from other guys its a good engine but i dont think it would do anymore than a 120 rumley or 120 American able. we have always ran about 156 lbs on our 110
Old 08-23-2006, 11:41:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 474 Posts

This looks N&S to me.

Colin go back an read about Osage again. It doesn't say they pulled the engines to their max output. They only worked them to their aproximate rated horsepower. They didn't want to put undue strain on them. You have stated in the past that the engine could be seen moving in relation to the boiler on your fathers 110 at max load. Some operators wont use their engine that hard. Much less one that belongs to a museum and is only in their care.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sd plowing.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	10872  
Old 08-24-2006, 12:13:01 AM
Agitator

Colin- That’s fantastic that there will be three 110’s at the show! The plowing will be held at a different location in relation to the show grounds? Fortunately with three in attendance there will surely be one on/around the hill. This will be good as many of the older folks really don’t head out to the plowing area much due to their appreciation of the accouterments of the show grounds.

L. Lickwater
Old 08-24-2006, 07:27:28 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,933 Times in 594 Posts

Tom,

Do you know where in South Dak. the photo of the big Nick was taken from. Well, it proves that the big Nick's could pull at least a 14 bottom plow, if I counted the bottoms correctly. What do you think Colin?

Lawrence
Old 08-24-2006, 10:12:01 AM
Agitator

Just in thinking… wouldn’t it be great to get one of the ol’ 110’s to put on a spark show?!!! A Minneapolis isn’t the only engine that can shoot sparks is it?

L. Lickwater
Old 08-24-2006, 10:37:33 AM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaarScott
Tom,

Do you know where in South Dak. the photo of the big Nick was taken from. Well, it proves that the big Nick's could pull at least a 14 bottom plow, if I counted the bottoms correctly. What do you think Colin?

Lawrence
Lawrence,
From page 25 of the January 1912 The Thresherman's Review, it says," An Average of 35 Acres Per Day Plowed with a Nichols-Shepard 35 Horse Steam Engine" and it went on to say, "H. L. Fluke's Outfit near Westport, South Dakota."
Gary
Old 08-24-2006, 10:57:39 AM
Registered

Checked My photos of Nichols & Shepards plowing.
Gary

Old 08-24-2006, 11:18:45 AM
Registered

A couple more Nichols & Shepards:

A rear view of the third engine in my last post.
Gary

Old 08-24-2006, 12:20:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

Looks to me like a Nick or two was hooked up to a set of plows between the days of steam and modern days doesn't it........I don't think it's the worst engine ever built for plowing, like SOME people seem to think..........
"Smilin' steamdaddy" Mike M
Old 08-24-2006, 12:52:33 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,933 Times in 594 Posts

Gary,

Those are some wonderful photos of the Nichols&Shepard engines. I see that in your third photo that this particular 35 Nick has extensions. Gramps and I have talked about this and he told me that he wasn't aware that N&S Co. had ever offered extensions. I guess they had! I will have to let him know this the next time we visit.

Once again, thanks for the wonderful picutures. Your library of photos is an unbelievable collection and your knowledge in engines is remarkable. I know for myself I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing your many many posts in various threads. Thanks for being an active participant!

Lawrence
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16:32 PM
Registered

Lawrence,
You are a very kind man! My wife might argue with you at times?

This is the only extension rims I have ever seen on a Nichols & Shepard myself. Kind of like hen's teeth? The first engine I ever fired for myself was a 20-70 Nichols & Shepard in 1954. I'm sending a photo of it and me in 1955. I am the guy with the flattop haircut and glasses. I hardly have enough hair for a haircut, let alone a flattop these days. My lifelong buddy, Mike Tyler of Moore, Montana is the guy with hair.

He is a partner with some phenominal steam engines, gas engines, crawler tractors and service station antiques. They have my second favorite engine, 32 Reeves cc Canadian Special #7181. It is the finest 32hp Canadian Special remaining. Much like a new one. They also have the 30 Minnie double simple and the 40hp Gaar Scott, plus a 22hp undermounted Avery and a 20/70 Nichols & Shepard like the one I am posting. I naturally have to post a photo of me with 32 Reeves cc CS #7181 taken in 1958.

Thanks again for your kind words, Lawrence. Anyone has access to my photo files in my gallery. Just click on the "photo gallery" at the top of the page, go to 20 Reeves Highwheeler and there they are.
"Active Participant," Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 08-24-2006 at 01:29:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:23:11 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,124 Times in 3,929 Posts

Great NS pictures, but didn't this start out about the 40 Reeves????

I like those extension rims too!

Beth
Old 08-24-2006, 01:27:06 PM
Registered

COMMERCIAL:

I found out I am an "active participant" and I am a "subscriber." I sent Harry a check a year ago AND I just mailed another one this week. While this is theoretically a "self-supporting" venture due to having commercial adds, this system doesn't run for free. Harry is providing a service for us old iron nuts and I appreciate it. Harry doesn't send bills, but I for one want to do a small part to help keep SmokStak here.

Thanks,
Gary Yaeger

Craig here.........YOU GO GARY.........

Last edited by Craig A; 08-24-2006 at 02:13:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:33:37 PM
Eric Bremer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cwach
This looks N&S to me.
Colin go back an read about Osage again. It doesn't say they pulled the engines to their max output. They only worked them to their aproximate rated horsepower. They didn't want to put undue strain on them. You have stated in the past that the engine could be seen moving in relation to the boiler on your fathers 110 at max load. Some operators wont use their engine that hard. Much less one that belongs to a museum and is only in their care.

Good point Tom, why take the risk of braking something on the one and only reeves 40 left in the world. running that hard in my book is reckless. So why take the risk of hurting your engine or even worse a spectator. the rules for running steam are strict enough why take a chance in wrecking it for everyone else. eric

Last edited by Craig A; 08-24-2006 at 02:12:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:34:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Vanarsdall
Great NS pictures, but didn't this start out about the 40 Reeves????

I like those extension rims too!

Beth
Beth,
I am done helping some others out with my Nichols & Shepard plowing photos. How about these two photos for getting things back on track?

Old 08-24-2006, 01:49:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler
Beth,
I am done helping some others out with my Nichols & Shepard plowing photos. How about these two photos for getting things back on track?
No Highwheeler, those are neat N & S pictures (not that the Reeves weren't good), besides they show the world that we used to make more than just ceral in Battle Creek which is very close to where I lived when I was little.

Also have got to agree with an earlier poster, you have one excellent collection of old photos and that is my favorite thread thanks to Colin.

Harry

Last edited by Craig A; 08-24-2006 at 02:12:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:54:49 PM
Jim Jake Templin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemaker
I have plowed with a 25-85 N&S single cyl sidemount and it was a pleasure to run, could turn it on a dime and get 9 cents back. I have talked to a few other owners of N&S sidemounts and they concurr.

On the other hand I have plowed with a 20-75 N&S double rearmount and 20 HP Reeves Canadian special .... you better have about 50 cents ready to be able to turn them on a dime and you dont get any change back either ! They tend to just push the front end and the front wheels just skid along the top of the ground. Looked to me like they had too much weight on the rear and not enough on the front end.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it - I think N&S really screwed up by going to the rear mount models.

I would have to agree with you on the manuverability. I have run our former GS 22 sidemount plow gear ( now owned by Steamdaddy), and a 20 hp rearmount double...the 22 would about turn in its length-the rear mount 'bout made me lose my religion! The rear mount Nicks I have run just didn't seem as bad as the Gaar RM, but no rear mount handles like a sidemount.

As an aside, I have heard that NS's side mount was more or less a result of a desire to pursue the road building and contractors market, rather than plowing (by the time they came out with them, 1914, the praries were already broken).
Old 08-24-2006, 09:49:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bremer
Prove it. bring YOUR little 110 down to osage next summer and lets see you pull 180. by the way you have a serious ego problem.
Eric,
If you run the engines at Marshalltown,Ia then you should just convince Ron to bring his 110 #29514 to go up against the 40 Reeves. The bottom line is that they are ALL good engines and we all have our favorites.The Smolik 110 #29237 wouldn't take a back seat to any engine in the belt either. I'm looking forward to seeing these engines in a few days and then going to Rollag.
KEVIN
Old 08-24-2006, 10:30:28 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemaker
On the other hand I have plowed with a 20-75 N&S double rearmount and 20 HP Reeves Canadian special .... you better have about 50 cents ready to be able to turn them on a dime and you dont get any change back either ! They tend to just push the front end and the front wheels just skid along the top of the ground. Looked to me like they had too much weight on the rear and not enough on the front end.
Casemaker,
I agree with you regarding the side mounted Nichols & Shepard engines and their turning. I have only seen one 20hp Reeves running in my life and my nephew and son Mike now own it. That 20 has a longer boiler than 25hp double simple and the big 32 cross compound, so I can imagine it would be a hard one to turn plowing. Only the 32 double simple/40hp Reeves boilers are longer than the 20hp. I have always thought that long boilered 20 ds may have been one of Marshall's errors in judgement! One thing though, the double simples weren't intended to be plow engines. Plowing is why they made the cross compound. Now a 20hp cross compound should be a dandy engine to plow and turn with, with that much shorter boiler. Also, I don't know when you were plowing with the 20 ds CS, did you have water in the side tanks, or only in the rear tank... or both? That can make a bunch of difference. The rear mounted Nichols & Shepards had side mounted water tanks for this same "turning" reason, Reeves had.

Since this thread has already been somewhat convoluted, let me state something else. I've said this before. My son Mike and I were plowing with an 8 bottom John Deere plow at Carl Mehmkes, with the 32 (110) Case. Instead of plowing straight lines, Carl opened the field with his 1940s vintage D-8 Cat and disk plows, following the curves of the creek (crick, if you're a Montanan). We couldn't get the old 32 to turn without lifting the plows out of the ground. It would only skid the front wheels. That is due to the high hitch on the engine being pulled down on, about six feet behind the axle, by the load of the plow.
Gary