Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

Maytag M92 Long Base - Won't Start?

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1586 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2018, 06:27:04 PM
Registered

Default Maytag M92 Long Base - Won't Start?

Here are the basics:
Standard M92 long base with common exhaust. S/N indicates that it was made in 1929...but several collectors told me that it is a later model (mid 1930's). It had seen some hard use and had a 3 slot pulley attached to it, the crank shaft housing (right side) was cracked and bushings chipped and were quite loose.

I rebuilt the fuel controller using parts and tool from Fly Wheel, replaced the gaskets, and while it was apart I had it sandblasted to remove the accumulated piles of rust and chicken poop off of it (it was a barn find). The coil test at 9.5 using a ohm meter, I replaced the spark plug wire, gaped the points to .020, original plug to .025. The timing bolt is set at 1.200. I used a spark plug light tester and also held the plug against a ground, it has spark to the plug electrodes. It has really good compression compared to other 92's I cranked. Fuel is fresh and mixed 16:1. Crank shaft housing replaced (right side - flywheel side).

But, it won't start, won't cough, nothing, no nada. I'm thinking a fuel issue but even a shot of starting fluid into the cylinder or controller intake produces nothing?? Second thought is a bad plug just doesn't have enough spark (ordered an Autolite #3095).

These are such simple engines I thought it would go bang easily...thoughts??

Bill in OR