Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units

Le Roi V-8 Stationary Engine

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 4094 times

Old 05-30-2017, 04:16:25 PM
Registered-II

Default Le Roi V-8 Stationary Engine

Hi all, I was looking for a bit of info on an older v-8 stationary engine that I worked on many years ago. It filled up the better part of a 14 foot flat bed that it was sitting on at the time, Le roi was embossed on the side of the radiator, as I recall it had 2 sets of siamesed cylinders on each side, twin magnetos, twin exhaust, it was covered in it's own house that contained a gas tank as well. It was all set up to set and hook a driveline to the clutch. I finally got it running and if you revved the engine to 1800 rpm it would very easily rock the chevy truck it was sitting on a bunch. I know this isn't much to go on but that is all I remember other than it ran incredibly smooth and was a big chunk of iron. So Le roi or Waukesha or something. Thanks for any help. Tad
The Following User Says Thank You to Tad Wicks For This Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 04:37:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,395 Times in 2,709 Posts
Default Re: Le roi

Mybe one of these? Leroi or later Roline by Waukesha 844 cube engines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUO_I4UUew

Or perhaps a big Climax v8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 01:51:05 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the response, If memory serves me correctly the engine I am curious about was much bigger than an 8V92 Detroit or 903 Cummins, I would guess a 5 to 6 inch bore and probably would weigh several tons with the doghouse and radiator and clutch. They might have been used in small locomotives like switchers, the one I worked on I believe pumped water in the Nevada desert around Alta Mira and I think that it had individual valve covers and the cylinders were bolt on with 2 cylinders in each assembly. I don't remember if each bank had its own mag or it had 2 plugs per cylinder. I wish I had more but that is about it. Thanks Tad
Old 05-31-2017, 02:39:00 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,028 Times in 3,093 Posts

In one of my many trips to Tulsa OK some years back, I came across a large MFG site that built truly immense V type power units. They had many completed units sitting in the outside on site. Don't recall the name but they were located between Tulsa and a but south of the city towards Muskogee.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 06:42:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,533 Times in 722 Posts

I've got a similar LeRoi engine as in the video. 540 iirc. really sweet engine, it was in standyby service at a pump station.
The Following User Says Thank You to slip knot For This Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 01:04:28 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,236 Times in 967 Posts

I'm functioning at a pretty low level at the moment, but will comment it does appear to've been one of their larger V8s...
An 84 parts catalog lists an H2000 63/4 x 7=2000 CID, and I'm sure there're other big V8s not listied in my stuff...
There should be a batch of LeRoi-Roiline info on the Wauk Eng Hist Soc site---wehs.net---fascinating site to prowl around in...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 03:37:26 PM
Registered-II

Tad - Did it anything like this old LeRoi V8 at our local railroad museum:

http://s101.photobucket.com/user/far...onary%20Engine

This one is massive, quite similar the one you describe.

Everything about the engine is huge. It consists of 4 sets of paired cylinders to make a V8. Accessories include two 8 cylinder magnetos, two starters, dual carburetors, two fuel pumps, two water pumps, etc.

The doghouse stands over 6 ft high - it has an integral ladder for access to the radiator filler. The dual top outlet exhausts are 3" diameter pipe. The engine connects to a massive PTO clutch with an 18 groove(!) V-belt sheave on the output shaft.

Uncertain as to the engine model. Sadly only portions of the nameplate remain legible (can make out "RX1V" on the model line, but that's about all).

Nor do I know anything about its heritage - it's been sitting outside the RR museum for the dozen or so years since I first spotted it.

Oh how I would love to hear this beast run!

...FB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmallBob For This Post:
Old 06-03-2017, 12:43:07 PM
Registered-II

Hi Farmall Bob, Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and post a picture. My memory is a bit foggy ( I am told this what happens as we get older but I admit nothing) as I recall the magnetos were in the front, inside valley of the engine but the size and style of the engine you presented is very, very close and the doghouse is almost spot on, even the same color. As I said, it did say LeRoi in big embossed letters on the radiator so they are undoubtedly closely related. There is very little info on these engines (Waukesha, Climax, LeRoi) and fewer pictures, I did find one picture of a Climax but I really couldn't tell how it compared. I would very much like to hear that engine run as well, there is a lot of iron slinging around in there when it starts making rpms, can you just imagine the torque that monster produces. American brute strength and the theory that if a little does a little good a lot does a lotta good, gotta love it The reason I am interested in these big engines is, I have a project in mind if I ever find one in pretty good shape. It is going to be big and it is going to be heavy. I don't know if it will ever happen but I think about it a lot along with everything else that I probably will never do (they tell that is another sign to watch out for) Thanks Tad
Old 06-03-2017, 04:21:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,236 Times in 967 Posts
Default Re: Le Roi V-8 Stationary Engine

You might try the library at HCEA---Hist'l Const Eqpmt Assn---the website also has a forum altho with surprisingly little traffic...but the library is reportedly extensive, and may well contain some engine brochures and performance specs...
The big LeRoi V8s show up in my catalogs as early as a 33 ring catalog in an RX series of 61/4, 61/2 and 63/4 bores in 4, 6 and V8s under a blizzard of RX designations...
Do by all means correspond(email) with the people at WEHS---they're all ex-Wauk etc retirees, running the site (supported by Wauk) both as a labor of love and to keep some of the old units running....they may also be able to furnish copies of some of the old brochures etc...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27:11 PM
Registered-II

Learned a bit more about the LeRoi "RX" V8 at the railroad museum:

It originally powered large snowblower. It perched on the back of an Oshkosh 4x4 chassis and drove the snowblower thru a multiple v-belt drive (18 belts!).

The engine was salvaged after the snowblower was retired and cut up for scrap. Plan is to use it to replace a damaged (cracked block) but similar LeRoi V8 in a Plymouth(?) gas-mechanical locomotive owned by the museum.

The original locomotive engine was a bit unique in that only 7 cylinders were used for power. The 8th was fitted with modified manifolds/valving and served as the air brake compressor.

As far as anyone knows the salvaged engine is still in running condition.

...FB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmallBob For This Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 04:00:36 PM
Registered-II

Thanks FB for the info, very interesting about the 8th cylinder. When the time comes maybe you will get to participate in making it run, wouldn't that be a treat. I am still looking for any info. Thanks Tad
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03:14 PM
Registered

Tad ,the V8 Le Roi you see in the You Tube Video link' I like old stuff' posted is now in my shop.I saw the old girl on E-bay and couldn't resist her charm and gave her a good home in Myrtle Beach,SC.540 cu in of aggressive sounding V8,whata horse !
Hooked to a 50KW 480V gen set w/exciter generator attached to the back.
This unit was a back up for a medical facility.
Generator is set up for 1200 RPM working speed,imagine the torque of that V8 to keep 100 hp going to that 50KW generator.
My life long work has been rebuilding starters-generators & alternators.As an Army Medic they kept me busy running the 25th Med Battalion generators in Cu Chi Vietnam
From all that I can see of no wear on the commutator of the exciter generator this rig has less than 50 hrs on it and maybe less than 25 hrs.3000 lbs+ of fun !
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackiebrat For This Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 12:12:11 AM
Subscriber

Mackiebrat, I've got the twin to that setting out back. Mine is also LPG powered but unfortunately the original carb is gone. The company using it for back up had the carb replaced with a later generic version at some time.

I plan on it running again. What type of LPG setup are you using on your engine?
Old 06-20-2019, 02:55:21 PM
Registered

Slip Knot, I'm running on straight gasoline.The previous owner rigged up a 12V electric fuel pump.The original fuel pump didn't work so he took it off probably thinking of rebuilding it.That was a dead end for parts so he put a block plate over the pump hole just behind the Crank Pulley.It does have all the plumbing & pressure regulator for propane.
One of the most amazing things about this engine is ....it has no water pump ! It uses a Thermal Siphon system...ala Model T Ford style cooling.A huge radiator & huge double belted fan does the job.I guess they figured if it worked on 15 million Model T ,it could cool a V8 Le Roi.One less thing to fail on an engine.
By the time all that coolant drops down through that monster dinosaur radiator it IS MUCH cooler.I can feel the difference by hand.
That engine has more plumbing on it than a New Jersey chemical plant.
I've been looking high-low & backwards for a manual on it
I bought 3 different Le Roi engine manuals off E-bay just to see and kinda study the "Le Roi Way' of doing things.
Model D176 Model D226 & Model TH844 <<<this is the big brother to my engine and the closest manual info. This manual was furnished to Mack Trucks in Allentown,Pa. MB
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35:38 PM
Subscriber

Mine is still setup for vapor and I'm thinking about keeping it that way. When were running it at work we ran it off of natural gas from the cities gas lines. the meter had the regulator there. I didn't think to grab the regulator when we tore the structure down. I'm not sure it would have worked with LPG anyway.

I don't have a "load" for it so I'm thinking I could get by with a 100lb propane tank. may visit with the propane guys that fill my tanks, see what they recommend.

Its one of those "when things slow down" projects.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:54:33 PM
Registered

You might want a larger tank ....it seems these engines 'like their fuel" .Have not decided what to do w/the 480 V 3 phase generator just yet.I have 30 KW generator head that I was going to mate to the International U4 (a lot easier on gas) And ..then this big ol'Le Roi V8 showed up on my E-bay Screen...I notice a bigger 844 cu in V8 Le Roi has showed up on E-bay ,it has a 100 KW generator hooked to it's tail,oooo weeee doggies,go check it out !
Set the Le Roi on a double axle trailer and take it to engine shows.Have fun w/it. Maybe get a Dynamic brake grid off an old locomotive to load the generator with and make that V8 Le Roi 'TALK" It is the most Raspy voiced ,mean sounding V8 I've ever heard w/those 22 inch long 2 " twin stack pipes going straight up.
Every one I crank it up for just stands there and grins...they all tell me they have never seen or heard anything like it.They ALSO tell me don't paint or 'doll it up' leave the cosmoline drips on it ...just make everything ready to go as is.
The entire rig is really in pristine original condition right down to the 0-2000 RPM Sun Tech <<right out of the 1950s.
Finally found the water pump ,it's buried direct drive off the cam shaft. A customer who handles old heavy equipment spotted it under all the water pipes & hoses.
I'm an electric guy...I hate plumbing.... MB