Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Tractor Identification in Old Photo

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1319 times

Old 07-04-2019, 09:09:01 AM
Subscriber

Default Tractor Identification in Old Photo

I was going through my Grandfather's old photo album and saw this picture. Though he was from Ohio, he and his brothers went to Iowa for a time to work. I think that is what my Grandmother told me, but it's hard to remember everything as she told me so much about the old days. She died a little over a year ago at 111 years old. Anyway, I think this picture is from when they were in Iowa. Can anyone tell me what this tractor is? Sorry for the poor picture quality. It is very old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_084100.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	338509  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 09:20:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,851 Times in 2,413 Posts
Default Re: Tractor identification in old photo

Looks like a early Nichols and Shepard gas tractor? maybe 22 hp or 36 hp?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 10:13:24 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,027 Times in 3,093 Posts

It is a very early version 35-70 N&S oil- gas tractor. The horizontal section radiator and light channel frame were only used a very short time. None of this version seems to have survived. Large 2 cyl engine with a steam type fly ball governor, produced around 90 hp at low rpm. They were designed primarily for plowing the vast prairies. I have a old photo of one on a sawmill , empty fuel barrels all around the site! Had one of those early carbs with the steel balls that lifted as the load increased. Very inefficient and used enormous amounts of fuel. One of the big reasons these units were parked.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 10:26:07 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
It is a very early version 35-70 N&S oil- gas tractor. The horizontal section radiator and light channel frame were only used a very short time. None of this version seems to have survived. Large 2 cyl engine with a steam type fly ball governor, produced around 90 hp at low rpm. They were designed primarily for plowing the vast prairies. I have a old photo of one on a sawmill , empty fuel barrels all around the site! Had one of those early carbs with the steel balls that lifted as the load increased. Very inefficient and used enormous amounts of fuel. One of the big reasons these units were parked.
Did all the early ones have full cabs on them?.The one in the picture looks like they took some of the cab apart for better viewing
Old 07-04-2019, 11:03:48 AM
One Millionth Post

The only photo I've seen of one without a cab was of the prototype during field trials. I agree that in the above, they've removed a few panels for visibility or ventilation. Like the early Hart Parrs, the channel iron frame was too light and would bend and twist under load and soon failed. The later versions in all sizes had a heavier plate steel frame, those were a much better foundation and kept the gearing in better alignment and less wear. It's really a shame that more of these didn't survive, when in good repair, they were quite the brute for power. I did for a while have the remains of one of the 3 that survive, hopefully at some point it will be reconstructed into a working tractor again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 02:04:37 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Tractor Identification in Old Photo

Thanks for the replies. That photo must have been taken somewhere in the 20's, because he was out there before he got married in the 30's. When you say that tractor was one of the earlier ones, what years would that be?
The Following User Says Thank You to CBarth66 For This Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 02:14:12 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarth66 View Post
When you say that tractor was one of the earlier ones, what years would that be?
The Early teens
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 04:56:17 PM
One Millionth Post

N&S built the prototype in 1911. They sporadically built the various versions till around 25, after that they offered a rebadged Lauson product till the merger with Oliver in 1930. N&S's big contribution to the merger was the combines and a corn picker and the factories, no tractors as Oliver and Hart Parr had that covered. The Great Depression and the Dry 30s was in full force out on the farm till the outbreak of WWII, any new purchases of modern tractors was put off till after that. Most early tractors that farmers had were in use far past their original expected life. So it is very likely that this one was still working well into the 30s. Also these N&S tractors were very popular in the Red River Valley of the North area. I think all surviving ones did come from that part of the country. There were a few odd ones in the lower Midwest, but not many. There was rumors of one in the local area that disappeared during the scrap drives of WWII.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 07:01:22 PM
Subscriber

Now to figure out what make of engine gang plow it is pulling behind it?.John Deere,Cockshutt or P&O (Parlin & Orendorff)?.Maybe a Rumely or Avery? Case-Sattley? Rock Island? could it be a Oliver?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:51:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,005 Times in 876 Posts

When the cab panels where removed, they soon discovered the roof needed the panels for bracing but some good ole wire did the trick. Those 360 degree crankshaft engines tend to make things shake.

Last edited by halcon; 07-04-2019 at 09:53:20 PM. Reason: addition
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 05:37:09 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
N&S built the prototype in 1911. They sporadically built the various versions till around 25, after that they offered a rebadged Lauson product till the merger with Oliver in 1930. N&S's big contribution to the merger was the combines and a corn picker and the factories, no tractors as Oliver and Hart Parr had that covered. The Great Depression and the Dry 30s was in full force out on the farm till the outbreak of WWII, any new purchases of modern tractors was put off till after that. Most early tractors that farmers had were in use far past their original expected life. So it is very likely that this one was still working well into the 30s. Also these N&S tractors were very popular in the Red River Valley of the North area. I think all surviving ones did come from that part of the country. There were a few odd ones in the lower Midwest, but not many. There was rumors of one in the local area that disappeared during the scrap drives of WWII.
Can you share this old photo? That would be cool to see!

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:42:50 AM
One Millionth Post

I'm a bit technically challenged but if you Google Early Nichols & Sheppard photos , you will get many pictures of them and a few of the prototype. Also there were a good bunch of photos in the Willard libaray collection, but I'm hav ing trouble finding them just now. Also try google under- Nichols & sheppard collection by James Hawthorne. Also check other threads here on site relating to N&S Gas tractors.

Last edited by FWurth; 07-15-2019 at 12:33:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post: