Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Gasoline Engines and Power Units

Le Roi V-8 Stationary Engine

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 3884 times

Old 06-28-2019, 11:45:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,247 Times in 2,662 Posts
Default Re: Le Roi V-8 Stationary Engine

Surely one of you guys need the big brother 844. Here's your chance and a very clean specimen.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for...914293837.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2019, 01:05:00 PM
Registered

I saw that on E-bay....my 540 drinks enough gas I can imagine an 844 is a full blown gas-a-holic (Both these dinosaurs were born in 20-25 cent @gallon gas times)....I crank it for interested customers ( I run a generator-starter-alternator rebuilding shop for specialty hard to find units)
When she barks to life,I've seen grown men giggle.They have never seen or heard anything like that raspy V8 gurgle @ 1000-1200 RPM.When I open her up to about 1900-2000 ,they block their ears.I can't wait to set up a full load heat grid for that 480V generator and listen to that V8 throw her shoulders into a real load.
Somebody find me a deal on an old diesel locomotive dynamic brake roof top grid w/the cooling blower..I guess I'm gonna have to get some ear protection too..... MB
The Following User Says Thank You to Mackiebrat For This Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 06:42:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,507 Times in 706 Posts

A loaded engine sounds so much better than one just loafing along.

I ran the 540 on a 1/4ly exercise cycle but seldom did we load it up. The pump it ran was a monster that would flood the chamber out in just a few minutes. But she did sound good loaded.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:07:49 AM
Subscriber

Why bother with a measly V8 when you can have a V12.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for...914270303.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 06:00:03 PM
Registered

Man you are bad.....I've now got that hunk of iron as a screen saver.Lord have mercy at the size of it !What a restoration project ! ....Like a Rolls-Royce V12 Merlin engine on steroids.Torque enough to pull the state of S Carolina over 100 miles on skids.
Can you imagine that as a locomotive engine ? you would need 12 cars of gasoline behind it to go a 1000 miles.Slow turning gas hogger dinosaur.I love the pony motor mult-V belt drive to the secondary Starter drive gear.(probably took 20-25 HP to roll her over)Wait until I tell the guys in the ERA (Electrical Rebuilders Association) about a flat-head 4 cylinder starter motor ,that is hand cranked !The only thing electrical that I see on the whole business are magnetos for each engine.I can't tell if there is a Mag for each bank or not. Probably it does have 2 mags just to keep the wires down to 6 in the mag cap (can you imagine a 12 wire mag cap ?)
I down loaded every picture.It would be interesting to find someone in Arkansas who heard it run under load Thanks for the link post Old Stuff.what do you do comb Craig's List for engines ?.MB
Old 07-16-2019, 06:21:13 PM
Subscriber

Mackie, just buy the thing already.
Get a 1000 gallon tank for gas and put the thing on a timer. Have it fire up at idle before bed to relax you. Then fire up at 1000 rpm with the alarm clock.

Hell, it's only money and ya can't take it with you in your coffin.

Personally I'd like a R2800 on a stand to fire up during parties.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 02:53:28 PM
Registered

Funny you should say to crank her for relaxing.(Sounds like a couple ol' gals I use to know)
But listen to this.I've already decided to put a remote start on the 540 V8 w/the generator.Imagine the looks on faces when she coughs to life and they least expect it at engine shows.(I am a Brat)I could post a caution sign : Beware : Standby generator can start at any time. Beware ! I could also hit a button to activate a repeating Ah-oooooga ,Ahooooooga horn just be fore I hit the remote start.This engine starts very fast ......most of the time
Its got a very simple 12V starter and separate 30 amp generator system.The Starter is a Delco 1950's diesel size.I'm going to 'freshen both units up.
For ignition its pretty much a stock V8 distributor & coil point type system.
Looks alot like a mid-1950s Buick or Olds V8 set-up.
I'll set that up w/a mid-1970s Ford ignition amplifier.The points will just trigger the amp and make that stock coil hot hot.I've done this before w/older point style ignitions.
The trick now will be to vary the engine speed down to a idle and up to operating speed of 1200 or higher by remote control.A small servo motor on the governor fine adjustment screw is all it needs.
To round out the show some large easy to read Dials (best) or large digital meters of every possible measurement right down to water temp top and bottom of radiator.Oil temp & pressure,Vacuum (it already has that) DC volts & charging amps.A huge RPM Meter Also.AC volts & amps going to grid load.Gas consumption @ hr.Hey it's a labor of love fun hobby ! MB
Old 07-19-2019, 03:28:44 PM
Registered-III

The last year I went to summer camp there was a National Guard unit there with some 10 ton trucks. I had never seen a 10 ton before and if I remember right they had the 844 cubic inch engines in them. This was in early to mid 1960's.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:31:52 PM
Registered

Engine Nut.... I appreciate those 2 pictures you posted.I just bought a good running 540 V8 hooked to a 50KW 480V generator that doesn't have 50hrs run time.
That manual you posted from, has the lay out and look' of a Motors Manual.
I have a pristine Motors Truck & Tractor Manual from 1950 it lists specs on special engines like Hall-Scott & Buda but nothing on Le Roi.
I'm wanting take this engine to shows.2 tons of Fun !I still run a starter -generator shop 30 hrs a week.(I'm retired mornings until noon....customers won't let me quit !) MB
Old 08-15-2019, 04:13:22 PM
Registered

I need to correct a stat I quoted on how much power it takes to get 50,000 Watts out of the generator.Rereading the 100 HP I wrote ,I said whoa..that's the generator's electrical output.The input power at 1200 RPM and at 50-60% efficiency needs all the power that 540 V8 can muster or about 150-60 HP.Right in her range.That has so much built-in much torque ability a hard pull load would not cause a flickker in the lights.
I read some where the torque of those 540 V8s is in the scary numbers.
I recently added a 1970-80s Ford ignition amplifier triggered by the OEM points and she runs sweeter.Starts instantly too.I use a 'hand' choke too .(My left hand ,really) until I get the carburetor adjusted richer ,she pops and spits now and then.
It probably is set up for LP gas..and I know very little about carburetor setting for that stuff.It has a 1.5 inch pipe leading to the pressure regulator.
I think I'll send the Carburetor down to my friend in Georgia that rebuilds antique Carbs and let him 'freshen it up,w/a good cleaning and proper settings for gasoline.
The next change is opening the spark plug gaps to 40 thousands for a better slow idle...right now she 'lopes' w/the governor @ 250-300 RPM .I think the heavy flywheel effect of the generator armature probably effects low speed running, also.When ignition is cut...it takes a right good time for the engine to stop. Msckiebrat