Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Keck Gonnerman Steam Engine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 5129 times

Old 04-10-2002, 10:01:11 PM
Mrs. Ann Steele

Default Keck Gonnerman Steam Engine

My Father died 1 year ago and left as part of his possessions a 20 hp Keck steam engine that is in VERY GOOD condition. This was his favorite 'toy'. He was an active member of the American Thrashers Assoc. and when he was physically able, took the engine to the show for several years. It's time to find a new/good home for it now, and I am wondering if anyone can give me a suggestion on how to go about selling it. Thank you,

I can provide pictures.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2002, 11:20:32 PM
Craig

Default Re: Keck Gonnerman Steam Engine

Before you make any serious attempts at marketing this engine be sure you have a copy of the last boiler inspection report. When was it last run, certified and what State is it in? The Keck's used Roderik (?) water bottom boilers and they have their faults too---I'm not picking on Keck's--Cases have some REAL issues---I owned a Case 60. Is it a single or double, 1 or 2 cylinders? Be able to describe the gearing and other important mechanical details. I'm sure your dad had friends who'll be happy to help you!!! Good luck. Craig By the way: This is good start!!!!
Old 04-11-2002, 02:33:28 AM
Paul W.

Graig is right on all the details to sell a engine, also is it a side mount. I have a 22 HP Keck and it runnes the sawmill fine. Paul
Old 04-11-2002, 01:21:20 PM
Allen at CHT

Have someone (one of dad's old friends) inspect it, round up all the old paperwork on it you can find, then write an accurate description of it. (You need to be realistic here, how much work does it need? How old are the tubes? What condition is the boiler in? the gearing? to a lesser extent, what condition is the paint? Remember, if it needs boiler work it is worth a LOT less than one with a current inspection,) Take a couple pictures as it is now. Then pick an asking price that's a bit more than what you are actually willing to take fr it.

Write up a short advertisement, and place it in the club newsletters of places your dad used to take it (Always nice to give the locals first try). Give it a month or so.

If you get no nibbles, then RAISE the asking price a bit and put an ad in "Engineers and Engines", and/or "Iron Men Album"....or raise it even a bit more and use that as a reserve to put it on ebay or with a more local auction service (Why raise the price? First because you are getting wider exposure, second because you will have more time involved, And third if you auction you will have to pay commissions to the auction house.)

If all the above fails, don't call the junk man, give me a call and I'll adopt it and give it a good home.