Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Scrap Metal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scrap Metal Making Use of Scrap or Turning it into Cash

Scrap Metal

Scrap Steel, Iron, Brass and Aluminum Recycling

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 3002 times

Old 02-09-2013, 09:39:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,781 Posts
Default Scrap Steel, Iron, Brass and Aluminum Recycling

My business generate a lot of scrap steel, iron, brass and aluminum. I hauled three loads recently and made over $3000.00. Mixed steel is about $250.00 or so a ton and brass is $2.00 ish a pound.

Used to be called a junky for hauling but now it's "recycling" and totally in vogue.

Maybe I should write a new song, I was a junky when junking wasn't cool.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03:46 AM

Thanked 16,787 Times in 7,774 Posts
Default Re: Scrap?

Got and old black man down here some laugh at. Because he collects scrap to sell. He does it the honest way,asking if you have any thing he can haul off. Well if they had seen his money roll like I did at the store. I don't think they would be laughing.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,087 Posts

I have always liked hauling scrap. Every one around here knows that if they have anything metal they can through it down under the big pine tree. I will sort it and haul it. The money is all cash and I use that to buy iced tea and adult beverages. That is my play money. I also have a sweet deal with a local business that generates several thousand pounds a month.

I like your idea about a song.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00:46 AM

Thanked 16,787 Times in 7,774 Posts

That pipe plant over in Tyler. Should have plenty of scrap.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:22:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,660 Times in 1,160 Posts

At work we had several hundred pounds of junk heavy wall cast brass tube that machined like crap that had been sitting in the "back 40" for who knows how long. I convinced them to scrap it and use the money to buy tools for the machine shop. We ended up with a little under $15,000. I had no idea there was that much money sitting there, and it worked out good for the machine shop.

Same thing like Billy said, there was an old guy in the town I grew up that did nothing but pick up aluminum pop and beer cans. In Oregon you get $.05 a can for recycle. He was a little off and people did make fun of him, but he sent himself to Hawaii more than once just from the earnings of picking up cans, so I dont really see what people had to make fun of him about.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,912 Times in 2,469 Posts

Damn I must have been a head of the curve some 40yrs ago,Dad would be digging and once we done all the stuff we was supposed to do,we would pick up the scrap copper wire that the electricians threw on the floor of new houses,and then if no copper we had a magnet from a old mag that we would drag around on a string and pick up nails,we used these for clubhouses and rabbit pens, deerstands, etc.Used to do pretty good on copper ,kept us in shotgun shell money,Always made fun of at work dumpster diving,and strapping stuff on the catwalks with bungee cords for the trip back to the plant, made a bunch of crappie beds that will last for eternity out of scrap plastic water main, made into plastic log cabins, then drug out with a plastic barrel in the center held with a rope,get to where I wanted it and cut the rope,the plastic was held together with brass bolts someone threw out one day,not a dumpster never looked in,then the foremans put a stop to it,on the big jobs at least, others got to stealing good stuff I always got permission to look and haul......
Old 02-09-2013, 11:57:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,265 Times in 5,170 Posts

Here "recycling" is so bad had someone recycle ~3 ft of refrigeration tubing (3/8 +1 inch dia) of 4 of my outside compressors and wire, cut flush at cement wall.
Got him maybe <$10 for some beer.......will cost ~$1000 each to reconnect wires, pipe, pull vacuum, recharge.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:11:43 PM
Registered-II

I live way out in the sticks and there is no rural trash pickup. We've always burned our trash, then paid a guy to pick up the barrels of whatever was left ever so many months. A few years ago, I started keeping four buckets in my shop. One for little steel pieces like old bolts, broken lockwashers or whatever, one for little pieces of wire w/ insulation still on it, one for anything aluminum and one for glass or other "non burnables".
We still burn the paper stuff, but I can simply dump what little ash is in the barrels ever so many months. Most everything else goes to the area recycler when my buckets get full. It has netted HUNDREDS of dollars, just in odds and ends. Most of that came from the aluminum and copper, but the steel adds some too. I'll periodically pick up an old fridge or freezer from someone, and set it on an old concrete grain bin foundation quite a ways away from the house. I'll over time, fill it w/ the small scrap. Once its full, its HEAVY and I load it on my trailer w/ a loader tractor and take all of that steel that otherwise would have been tossed to get cash for it..Completely full of little stuff like that, a decent sized freezer full will bring nearly $350.00.
It all adds up. I've bought two nice .45s over the years from "scrap cash."
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelley Hulsey For This Post:
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34:41 PM
Registered-I

Have a Nephew (young guy) picks up old broken down autos and takes them to recycle. Sometimes he makes 500 dollars on saturday and he has a day job during the week.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:54:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,991 Times in 3,786 Posts

I had saved the copper radiators out of every car I scrapped over the years with the idea in the back of my head to hook a few of them together along walls of my shed and make a wood fired boiler to heat the water/antifreeze mix to circulate through them for heat, but ended up scrapping all of them in the last couple years. Not bad when a large radiator buys you a tank of gas for the car. Unfortunately, I have since run out of them, even scrapping the ones I was keeping for project cars.

Locally, brass is around $1.50 to $1.60 a pound and copper is around $2.60 a pound right now (after I ran out of copper). I've been sorting through my brass fittings, and brass bar ends I bought up over the years for lathe projects and scrapping some of them for gas money. Had a pretty good stash of them, having bought some at local auctions, and gotten others from work either with a 'material pass' allowing me to take a few at a time, or in a couple cases, payroll deduction to buy a couple larger bars for the current scrap value at that time. I need to get more junk (I mean high quality collectibles) on eBay and get some money coming in that way again so I can hang on to what I have left for brass & aluminum.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Also scrapped a bucket of lead wheel weights at $0.25 a pound, which doesn't sound like much, but lead is heavy enough that I made out pretty good on that too. A lot of weight in a small package.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:49:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,714 Times in 7,487 Posts

Friends here have a scrap yard. They are now collecting "e-waste" - old computers, tvs, etc.. I think it is only 10 cents a pound but they are getting a good supply of it. Someone set up a plant near here to recycle the components rather than send all the old computers to China.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06:54 PM
Registered-II

We have a lot of people around hear i call "junk hoarders" Their property is always a huge trashpile of absolutly JUNK. They live like scrounges and are sitting on a gold mine of stuff that they usaully wont sell and if they do they want a fortune for something that is worthless.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29:15 PM
Subscriber

With all the wheel weights you can save a few and balance your own tires.
If 2 wheel drive and no positraction, Jack up one wheel and use the trail and error method to balance. Test weight every 90 deg to find the best spot, then +- 45 deg to tweak position, then various weights to home in on correct weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46:53 PM
Subscriber

I did save about 10 pounds of the better weights in various sizes, (some were mangled and some the steel mounting clip was badly rusted, so they all went for scrap).

And I have a nice old bubble balancer like we had in the garage my Dad ran in the 60s & 70s, so balancing is no problem for me. I've mounted and balanced thousands of them over the years.

I even managed to buy an adaptor for the balancer that fits the larger truck rims.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07:25 AM
Subscriber

I took my copper in last week $3.00 a pound . Brass was 1.85 a pound . Aluminum was .60 . It was a nice saturday, $540 for 5 buckets of scrap .
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42:34 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,131 Times in 424 Posts

My best friend lives in the extra house at my sisters farm where my shop is also located. He's a body man and picks up totals through work. Parts out the easy selling items and fills the carcas with scrap panels. Then make the 3 mile adventure to the scrapper.
Last time around basically worked out to a free engine for his Jeep and about $300 cash.

With a sawzall and a MIG welder, everything fits everything.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42:59 AM
Registered-III

Just as long as no engines make it to the scrap yard, everything is cool with me.....
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,050 Posts

I do a lot of recycling, only I haul stuff OUT of the yard and put it back to work. The Galion grader and Daewoo forklift both came from the scrap yard, thanks to Uncle Sam and a job training program that teaches kids how to use equipment, but not how to repair it. This past week I got an 8 ft wide x 6 foot long tine harrow to help smooth the race track, and a little Tomlee vertical bandsaw mounted on a nice little table, just needs a new power cord. It ceases to amaze me what people are hauling in to scrap right now.

I started cleaning out the surplus yard in 2000, hauled 100,000+ pounds a year to scrap till 2005, right about the time I finished scrap prices started going up. Getting ready to go thru the semi trailers again and weed out some more of the dead inventory, new old stock parts that nobody wants
Old 02-10-2013, 03:27:16 PM
Subscriber

For 15 years had a car that I couldn't spin balance tires on. Rear-wheel drive shook from univeral's action so I spun them on front, with 5hp motor. Finally front brake rotor rusted out......it was out of balance by ~1.5 oz !!!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02:42 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Scrap?

I really hated to scrap this one.....

18 foot aluminum loading dock bridge that I had planned on bolting 3 torsion axles under and making a tri-axle trailer for hauling my road roller on. But, when you get desperate for bill paying money, things gotta go. With a double layer of 3/4 inch diamond plate making an inch & a half thick deck, 1/2 inch diamond plate boxed side rails, 12 inch I-beam main rails 4 inch H-beam cross beams and 6 inch center I-beams, it netted me a grand when I scrapped it a few years ago. Kind of waste doing that with it, as it was probably worth several thousand if someone needed it for it's original purpose.... but when you need money fast you can't always do what you want to or should do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	db1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	157680   Click image for larger version

Name:	db2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	157681   Click image for larger version

Name:	db3.jpg
Views:	119