Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Model Machining Red Wing Engine Tutorial

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2881 times

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49:35 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,984 Times in 1,203 Posts
Default Model Machining Red Wing Engine Tutorial

I found a real interesting website, where an electrician and hobby machinist named Don Giandomenico built a stunning Red Wing engine with magneto. He also did a steam engine and lots of airplanes. It reminded me of the manner which Wayne Grenning documents his restorations here, and I learned a lot about machining by going through the extensive photos and text narration. I thought it would be of interest here too. http://www.rcdon.com/html/red_wing_engine_project.html

From Don's website:

"This kit took a total of 186 hours over a four month period to complete. That is not including the 75+ hours I spent taking a total of 5,400 photos and then making a 31 page article with 1,358 photos :0P That averages out to over 16 hours of work each week additional to my already busy life :0P I have to admit it was a lot of fun though ;0)"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 01:56:40 PM
Edwin

Default Re: Model Machining Red Wing Engine Tutorial

Kevin i would say the Brian Thomas built redwing isnt too bad either,when you get them to run this low thats a job well done,also Brian Thomas has a hot rod he built powered by a supercharged packard motor,i have seen the PM research steam engine that the fellow you posted has build its pretty nice too,nice job on both engines,impressive thats for sure.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cpa8e4hhPE
Old 01-19-2013, 04:09:31 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,984 Times in 1,203 Posts

Thanks Edwin, that IS slow. I like that air cooled model too! I'll hafta check out the supercharged Packard, it sounds real interesting.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:54:38 PM
Registered-III

If anyone wants to see the original Red Wing the model is based on, it is at Little Log House Pioneer Village in Hastings Minnesota.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Wing54.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	155444   Click image for larger version

Name:	rwdp.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	155445  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Schaller For This Post: