Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

show exhibitor fees???

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 1760 times

Old 03-26-2004, 11:49:02 PM
Dick Webber

Default show exhibitor fees???

There is a rumor that one of the local shows is going to charge an exhibitor fee this year for the first time. Apparently insurance cost is becoming a real problem.

Without exhibitors there wouldn't be a show and it seems the profit makers at shows should pay this cost rather than the exhibitors.

Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2004, 03:13:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,873 Times in 1,731 Posts
Default Re: show exhibitor fees???

Dick:Hmmmmm..... While on break , I contemplated your post and my thoughts are:

It cost the exhibitor(you and me)time and money, just to show up. If I have to pay a fee to exhibit without the benifits of club membership , I'll have my own show in my back yard and won't have to worry about all those things that we are somewhat concerened about when dragging our valuable stuff out and exhibiting at a show, like: Gas, tolls, accidents, lodging, food, clean rest rooms, theft, breakdowns, troopers, tickets, specator safety, weather(rain or to darn hot), lost parts on the way, forgot something, etc............ I guess we could add a lot to the list. BUT, then we would miss all those old friends , new friends , opportunity to share , buy something new , have some fun , etc........... If the exibitors fee is the cost to join the club and become a member, I would gladly do that. That's my $0.02 on the topic. Paul
Old 03-27-2004, 03:54:50 AM
John Hammink

You're right in your saying Dick. Here in Holland there will be no engine on a show when the owner has to pay for being there. Visitors pay for entrance and traders pay for their boots and ground spaces with old iron and other stuff. We always get lunch packets or a meal at local shows from the organizing club. At our big national shows they pay you money for comming with your special huge engines our attractive machinery that's heavy or needs long distance transport. Another good show pays a part for the travel costs. The best and biggest international engine show of Europe is free of any costs even your four days stay on the camping grounds. Park your engines out side the show grounds and they will beg you to come in

"Sixm" John
Old 03-27-2004, 08:16:06 AM
leonard keifer

I seem to remember this discussion last show season. Some were willing to pay a reasonable fee while others stated very strongly that they would NEVER attend a show where they had to pay a fee.

So far I haven't encountered a show asking for an exhibitor fee; I have been to one or two where the sponsoring club asked for a small fee if you were planning to sell stuff at your exhibit.

One show a couple of years ago asked all exhibitors to join the club, I was already a member. Club membership was (and still is) $4. You would have thought the club was asking for $400 the way some folks reacted. The next year the club discontinued the practice.

I don't always get to it but I try to join most of the clubs sponsoring shows I attend. Most are in the $3 - 10 dollar range so it isn't too much of a financial drain.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:40:29 AM
John Rolli

We arent going to beat this dead horse again? Like Leonard I remember this coming up here last year and it was really blown out of proportion. I agree with Paul and also do the same myself when attending the shows for the new season by helping to renew my membership at the gate AND I also buy several of the clubs' various Tee shirts with that years graphics on them. I know nothing about putting on a show or organizing the food,volunteers,etc but I know it cant be no small and cheap task,not with todays prices of food and port-o-lets and insurance. I have no problem paying $10.00- $15.00 at the gate to exhibit. I think it would fall under "donation" for an exhibitor and "fee" as a spectator. Remember its going for a good cause! I cant believe some people would have a problem spending $5.00 on a pack of smokes without giving it a second thought but have one with this issue. How about your internet connection? Some people spend $50.00+ a month for it and have nothing to show for it. Amazing what people think is a good deal and what isnt.Remember,with the rising costs today if these clubs cant turn a small profit or break even they are GONE,then you will have to settle for running your prize posessions in your back yard where no one can enjoy them.Nothing for nothing in life.The other thing to remember is if the clubs disappear it will drive the price of your gem down because nobody will want to buy it because they wont have the venue to show it off at.Thats half the fun,showing off our toys.Ok guys have at it. John.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:36:20 AM
Joe Morris

Our club has never charged exibitors. And we have a good insurance plan. We raise our funds by the gate admission price for spectators. And the profit we make is donated to a local childrens home and University scholarships for students studying agricultral related subjects. When we have a swap meet the city fathers want a flat tax fee of two dollars per seller and the club picks up the tab on that. Joe Morris
Old 03-27-2004, 12:02:34 PM
Jim Tremble

If a club is a member of EDGE&TA, doesn't EDGE&TA have the needed insurance to cover the show ??????

Jim
Old 03-27-2004, 12:53:58 PM
Mike Semanoff

I don't like exhibitor fees either. But I understand them. The money to put on a show has to come from somewhere. Club dues, unless its a big organization, just about pays for the insurance and newsletters. The club I belong to pays the bills with profits from the food shack. Our show is free. The "shack" requires a steady stream of volunteers(not always easy to get), a big cash outlay for supplies, and the expense of basically having a fully equipped restaurant that you use two days a year. We manage pretty well and even have free pie and coffee for overnighters. The shows that have church groups feed the crowd don't have this option. Having the public pay sounds great except some of our shows don't draw a great deal of the public. We KNOW most of the people walking around. Here in Connecticut we do not have shows the size of shows in the mid-west. Some of the mid-west shows ARE the size of Connecticut! The finances of some of these shows must be staggering. Of all the New England shows we attend only one has a fee. I remember setting up next to a guy at that show and listening to him whine all day about the fee. $2.00! How many would go to a show that has no buttons and plaques, bathrooms, or a laid out area?
Old 03-27-2004, 03:53:38 PM
John Rolli

Well said Mike. I dont like exhibitor fees either but dont have a problem with them. BTW you guys(and girls) do a hell of a job in "the shack". The food prepared is great esp the breakfast,hands down the best I have at any of the New England shows I attend. Your show (mine too)may not be the biggest but it has the best food,considering how many of the larger shows dont really put much attention on the food thats made its done so quickly on a production line basis. Its a real bummer driving 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours to a show on an empty stomach looking forward to having breakfast there with your buddies and eating something burnt,greasy,whatever,that you normally wouldnt. Then running to the bathroom all nite when you get home,its kind of like a gift that keeps on giving. Can you say indigestion? John.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:38:11 PM
Mark Kirton

The "car show guys" have been paying fees for years
Old 03-27-2004, 11:47:12 PM
pat barett

Well, there are shows where there isn't enough money to cover the expenses, thus, exhibitor fee, never had to pay one yet, that I recolect. Maybe the fee name should be changed to another name that isn't as displeasing to the exhibitor. It takes alot to put on a show. There must be gound available, water available, concessions, electricity, insurance, people directing trafic, as to who goes where. Clubs usually try to keep the membership dues down to a mimimum. Seems like the dues should be enough to cover the cost of show related expense. Sounds like that is the answer. One fee, does it all. Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:09:15 AM
John Davidson

Default Re: show exhibitor fees??? Other Revenue

Our Club, The South East Wisconsin Antique Power And Collectible Society, raffles off a antique tractor every year. We get a tractor like the make we are featuring that year and take it to many shows and fairs ect., before our show and sell raffle tickets on it. We make a nice profit over the cost of the tractor and we get a lot of advertising of our show with the ticket stub. We had a rainy year last year and the faffle tractor was the difference between losing money and making a little. Problem is finding members to take it around and sell tickets. Exhibitors are in free at out show and get free coffe, juice and kringle Sunday morning.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:33:51 PM
Tim Burke

You know what they say about opinions!!!! But I can't resist this one... I love my engines & assorted stuff. I go to great lenth to go to all the shows I possibly can afford , that is both time and expense. Some of the things I like most about going to an engine show are the people I meet, from them I learn, laugh, listen to the most entertaining stories you have ever heard. Also I like the chance to show newcomers , visitors, and thier children the wonders of old machinery and how important it is to preserve these wonderful machines and most importantly to have Fun . Well , You know most of the exibitors are a lot like me, and most of the clubs that I exibit at are made up of guy's like me. So when it comes down to supporting the business end of a show I do what I can. Sometimes that means volenterring in the kithen picking up garbage cans or giving them a day for a project or chores at the grounds, I try to support the concesion stands the t shirts, raffels& so on when & what ever I can do to help out. I now am a member of 5 differ'nt clubs so I try to support them fincialy that way , but to tell you the truth I can't aford to join every club I exibit at, at least not at this time. I think I am a good member of our rusty comuinity and when problems come up ,as they do, we all try to put our heads together to find a solution without alienating as many folks as we can. Most clubs have been able to do this . Those who can't will lose the meaning of why they are there to begin with, and will eventualy fail....Tim
Old 03-28-2004, 09:37:24 PM
Kevin Beitz

In Bloomsburg Pa. I get charged $75.00 to show my 1967 Datsun pickup at the truck show...

I think its a real rip off...
Old 03-28-2004, 10:22:24 PM
D. Smith

Jim Tremble, I think EDGE&TA insurance is only third party coverage. In case some one stickes his finger inyour govener gears, your covered, IF you stick your finger in there, your hurt but not covered! D. Smith
Old 03-28-2004, 11:29:05 PM
CJ Winslow

You should start your own car show....in the spectator parking lot A small fee is not a big deal by me but $75 sounds a little bit steep.

CJ Winslow