Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

INSURANCE & FEES

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1243 times

Old 07-20-2004, 12:57:11 PM
david hadley

Default INSURANCE & FEES

Obviously the question of fees for exibitors has hit a sore spot, and I welcome the discussion from both sides.

My problem revolves around the Insurance part of the problem. I am told by my home and auto insurer that PL insuranse on my engines at a show is out of the question!!!!! My insurance company has given me very very good rates and on one house claim 15yr ago I had very good service. So I am not going to change insurance companies!!

Therefore If I take my engines to a show they MUST have insurance or I don't go.....

I would be very willing to pay a fee to exibit if it was used in part to provide insurance or directly related costs incured to bring in exibitors. If I want a plaque then I should chip in.

Theres the rub; Like income tax which was just a temporary thing to pay for the WW1 cost someone will realise that they could increase the fee and get us to pay for ...mayor Quimbies whos to know hotel renovations.

The bottom line for me is simple, the club needs to be up front about the fee and must not be seen to be taking advantage of the exibitors that are the core of the show. and i still need insurance from the club.

How many others are in the insurance no mans land?

thanks Harry for a great thread Dave from Omemee
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2004, 03:50:00 PM
Allen

Default Re: INSURANCE & FEES

I joined EDGE&TA partly for the insurance coverage they offer. IMO it was cheap for the peace of mind.

Unfortunately, you have to join through a branch and they want their money and your proposed show schedule in January.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:54:43 PM
Tom Winland

How would I join EDGE&TA and is there a branch here in Ohio that I can belong to?

Tom Winland Ohio
Old 07-20-2004, 03:58:52 PM
Allen

Default Re:branch list

I wish all questions were this easy

EDGE&TA branch list
Old 07-20-2004, 04:33:49 PM
John Hammink

David, here in the Netherlands everyone that goes to shows with engines or tractors has to be insured for their stuff. There're a hand full insurance companies especial for these matters. You pay $40 a year for all your engines or tractors just one price and they pay a maxium of $5 million for accidents happen through my engines (engine explode, flywheel runs away and things like that). But when someone put his arm in a spinning flywheel, it's his own fault. We have to watch the spectators of course, but parents are responsible for their children. The show organizers are insured for everything that happens on the showgrounds, ( buildings collapse, flagpoles come down, portable Johns fall in five pieces and more like that) We never have to pay fees for exhibiting, we even get money for showing up at the greater shows. Our National big show ( next weekend, 1155 exhibitors) has a point system ( looking to your display and if the engines are running and if you brought what is in the showbook) mostly I got $75 for my display. Another show we attended a month ago has a special formula (distance X weight X amount of engines X showdays ) and they paid me $130. + two T-shirts for my display. At little and local shows you always get a lunch and free soft drinks. From home to the show vv my car insurance takes care for my belongings, but that cost me $730 a year.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:13:19 PM
Robert D Bowlin

Not all shows are EDGE shows. Would one be covered at these other shows? There are no EDGE chapters near Kansas City MO. would any in Missouri work? I looked at the FAQ's on the EDGE web site and am still not sure
Old 07-20-2004, 05:23:46 PM
Allen

As I understand it, if you list in Jan that you are going to a show, EDGETA show or not, then they will cover you.

Best bet is to talk to your local branch secretary.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:12:43 AM
Craig Anderson

I spoke with Jack Versteeg (?) at one time about this subject. He left me with the impression that the EDGE&TA insurance ONLY extended to EDGE&TA events. When I further questioned him about the cost of coverage through the organization and figured the number$ we were already better off with our current carrier as the cost was, at that time, on a per MEMBER basis at around $9 per, as I recall, for JUST the insurance PLUS the national dues PLUS local dues. That would make FAMILY memberships VERY expensive and at about this point in the conversation Jack told me "Well then I guess there is nothing we can do for you." Well, I guess there wasn't. Craig
Old 07-21-2004, 12:13:16 PM
david hadley

Thanks for the information. I will contact EDGE&TA and see about becoming a branch. From there web site I gather that the fee is 4.00 dues and 4.80 insurance per person and I assume thats per year?? you can be sure that my home insurance co would charge more than that even if I could talk them into selling me the insurance.

Thanks harry for a great site Dave from omemee (ontario)