Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Steam Engine Prices

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 3556 times

Old 01-20-2002, 10:38:08 AM
Joe Prindle

Default Steam Engine Prices

I and a group of friends are currently trying to buy a couple of stationary steam engines with direct connected 220 volt three phase generators and the switch board. The larger of the two is a Skinner Universal Unaflow, of about 125hp and the smaller is an Ames slide valve engine of about 75 hp. Both are stuck and are complete and otherwise in good shape but will be a big job to get them out of the split level building they are in. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what they might be worth, so we have an idea of how high to go on the price. I am afraid i am probably willing to pay more than they are really worth, and hate to get too far out of line. THanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2002, 07:40:20 PM
Allen at CHT

Default Re: Steam Engine Prices

Value? About a buck and a half per hundredweight. Some scrappers would even charge the owner rather than pay, due to the trouble involved in removing them from the site.

Just make sure you have the manpower, needed to get them out, and a way to load and haul them all lined up... Our club was "donated" 4 single drum hoist engines, and 2 triple drum engines (American Hoist and Derrick)...the donater eventually scrapped them because their crane operator and our club truck driver, and the work crew simply couldn't make connections for several months.