Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Ever heard of this steam engine?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2390 times

Old 03-09-2002, 10:07:52 PM
Norm S

Default Ever heard of this steam engine?

A friend has this, was wondering if it is a popular make, what it's value might be. Runs like a top.

Thanx

Norm

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2002, 03:03:25 AM
Patrick Traubert

Default Re: Ever heard of this steam engine?

What are the vital statistics? Bore? Sroke? Flywheel Diameter? Governor size? Overall size? My experience has seen "cute" small engines 1-1/2" to 4" bore can bring good money or very large engines 10" - 18" bore and up bring good money.

The small ones because they are managable. The large ones because of their novlety. Mid size engines 5" - 10" bore, bring less.

It all really depends on what two individuals can agree on. Is this one for sale?
Old 03-10-2002, 04:32:11 AM
Jack Martin

Pat Traubert is right on all counts. If the engine is the size it appears to be, it should fetch a premium for "smallness." Give us the dimensions. It is further interesting because so many small steam engines (if this is indeed small) had no tag, nor was the maker cast anywere on the engine. About 2 years ago I gave $1450 for a side crank engine apparently about this size, with governor, in A++ excellent condition. Let us know the size of the engine, and whether its for sale. Jack Martin
Old 03-10-2002, 03:37:26 PM
Norm S

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, it is for sale, I do not have the dimentions of the cyl though. I believe it is a 4HP. It is indeed "small" as steam engines go, with very nice lines. You can see in the picture, a Novo 3HP sitting behind it for a size comparison. The Novo is sitting on the ground, the steamer is on some large skids and a couple palletts. I will see it again in a week or two and get the cyl. size. Thanks again!

If I do buy it, all I need is a boiler! No idea where to get one of those...

Norm
Old 03-10-2002, 07:34:00 PM
Allen at CHT

Default Boilers

It's all been discussed before, on many boards: For a new construction boiler, talk to someone in the marine steam field like Beckmann's Boatshop in RI, they are more likely to have a small "off the shelf" boiler (still not particularly "cheap"). If considering a used one, current paperwork is no guarantee, but it is much better than one without (and usually priced accordingly)

OR just join a club with facilities to run stationary engines off a single large boiler (that way the headaches aren't yours)
Old 03-11-2002, 05:40:20 PM
Norm S

Default Contact info for Beckman's?

Do you have phone number and/or web address for them Allan?

Thanx!

Norm
Old 03-13-2002, 09:06:18 PM
Allen at CHT

Default Re: Contact info for Beckman's?

Try www.steamboating.net