Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Running too slow?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1776 times

Old 07-03-2015, 07:42:42 AM
Registered

Default Running too slow?

I need to know if running a vertical air cooled 5hp Bovaird too slow can hurt it? I'm getting no knock and staying very cool. The flywheel looks like it's going to stop completely every time just as it hits. Easy to run faster if that's better for the engine.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2015, 07:51:47 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: running to slow?

Lubrication is a big issue. I am not familiar with that engine but if it splash lubricated you need to make sure it is running fast enough to splash the oil around.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:56:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,660 Times in 1,160 Posts
Default Re: Running too slow?

I never really figured running engines real slow to where they almost stop before firing was a wise decision. When you take the mass of those flywheels and make them almost come to a stop before firing, then put the opposite load on them when it fires, and continuously doing so when running for hours at a show, that's putting a lot of unnecessary stress on the crankshaft. Have I ever personally seen a crank broke from running slow? No I haven't. Is it worth the risk to me? No it isn't. Just something to think about when running engines like that. Some people will probably give you the complete opposite answer and say you have nothing to worry about, but I guess when I see shaft twisting failures all the time at work from heavy loads that could have been avoided, it makes you stop and think that your engine could do the same
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tanner Remillard For This Post:
Old 07-03-2015, 01:58:54 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,984 Times in 1,203 Posts

I've always wondered about the point the Tanner brings up. But if you retard the timing until top dead center it would negate the stress a lot compared to advanced timing I think. And of course the bigger the flywheel the more Tanners point would come into play. perhaps there is enough built-in overkill margin on these enginesthat it really isn't a problem?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:05:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,409 Times in 1,552 Posts

Nuthin wers than sittin, watchin, and listenin to an engine farrin too late.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 04:38:00 AM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 4,018 Times in 396 Posts

Hello

I agree with Tanner. I'd much rather see an engine that has been slowed down, but is running steady as they were intended. It just puts a lot of stress on parts that is un necessary. The connecting rod and it's bearing are another part that has to absorb the shock load of trying to get the mass of the flywheels and crankshaft moving after almost coming to a complete stop when running so slow.

Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are worth. I'm not trying to start a squabble here, just saying what I think about the question asked.

LeRoy
Old 07-04-2015, 04:29:06 PM
Subscriber

I`ve found that most engines have a "sweet spot" as far as RPM`s go, where it will coast the longest, slower or faster than that and they don`t coast as long. I`ve never had luck getting an engine to run as slow as yours without the flywheels absorbing a lot of the push just to get rolling again and coasting long. If you try speeding it up a little, you might find it`ll run much smoother and coast longer. Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 07-04-2015, 05:32:32 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,597 Times in 1,654 Posts
Photo Re: Running too slow?

Here is a nice 1920 Economy that belongs to a man in Illinois..

https://youtu.be/JtmZjcA2y8I

And here is the IHC Titan that I used to own...

https://youtu.be/7EwK-Ojuipw

I have seen engines that run slow and when they fire they almost jump off the ground. That could be a problem but I don't think these two will break a crank??

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron

Last edited by Fred Van Hook; 07-04-2015 at 05:35:38 PM. Reason: add info..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 05:43:09 PM
Subscriber

That Hercules is running perfectly! It`s not so slow that it`s a big shock to the crankshaft to start turning again. I`ve never seen a throttle governed engine run so slow, at least this one won`t damage the crank!