Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin? Scrap or Sell

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1702 times

Old 03-16-2018, 03:09:36 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin? Scrap or Sell

I need to know if it's scrap or sell. In fact, I have a lot of engines from 50's through the 70's to figure out whether they're scrap or sell.

I'm pretty sure this one is a Wisconsin.

This is my very first post on smokstak!
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator-engine.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	305735
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2018, 04:32:38 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,013 Times in 3,088 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin? Scrap or Sell

I think that it might be more interesting to try listing them and see if you might find buyers, you can always scrap them if nothing else.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:12:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,906 Posts

Yep, I don't scrap anything that is even remotely salvageable.

They don't make good old stuff anymore, and they certainly never will again, so what we have left now is all we'll ever have.

So I see the options as keep, sell, or give away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 05:16:44 PM
Registered

So, is it a Wisconsin?

I know exactly what you mean. Once it's gone, it's gone forever. I'm just overwhelmed with making split decisions over things like this and honestly, it makes me cringe when I put things in the hopper, almost knowing, someone wants this.

I guess my method will be posting engines (within their areas) on here but I think most will say hold it, not scrap it.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:00:25 PM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,369 Times in 545 Posts

Looks like it might be a Wisconsin.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:54:17 PM
Registered-II

Everything has a value. I can see several useful and desirable parts on what I assume is some sort of engine powered machine. Can't tell though because whoever took the picture was not sufficiently motivated or interested to clear away at least the tiniest bit of stuff leaning against it.

I see ads on craigslist all the time where the text mentions something for sale then there is a picture of a heap of junk, paint cans, mops, broken shovels, beer cans, pizza boxes and much, much more - and we are supposed to figure out not only that what we see is a workbench but also if it is even remotely suited to the need we have. Then they wonder why the ad is up for months and months, and no one calls.

If you want any success selling your engines, think like a buyer. What would you want to see, if you were contemplating buying that engine? Drag the thing out in the open, take pictures of all four sides and close ups of any details you think may help your cause. Find tags and jot down the information.

If you have something for sale, price it that way. No way can I give you any idea what to ask for what I see, but if you posted that picture on craigslist I think you'd have a hard time finding a buyer at $10. Drag it out of there, clean it up a bit, take pics as described, and who knows? Surely you will catch peoples' attention. There's somebody out there who will buy almost anything. The trick is to make it easy for them to spend money. As already stated, scrappers who come to you will pay little or nothing to haul stuff away from a situation like I see. For the few pennies a pound they will get, it's simply not worth it. And if you figure you will scrap the things yourself, you will quickly find out why the scrappers are not too interested. All that work, the drive to the scrap yard, unloading, all for a few bucks, then the next morning you find you have a flat tire. Brilliant.

Sorry for the rant, but you have inadvertently pushed my button, and who knows maybe you or someone will get some use from my comments. I'll close with a couple more, related peeves that are NOT aimed at you! I see ads on craigslist all the time with little pictures of an item for sale where the seller has stretched a tape measure across the top. What idiocy is this? Does the seller actually think someone has micrometer eyes, to see what the tape says? If the piece of junk is 92 inches long, read the tape measure (or find someone who can to help you) and state in the ad, "it's 92 inches long". How tough is that to do? Or they will show a similar crummy picture (usually blurry) that presumably shows off in the distance a part of an object that has a little metal tag on it. The tag is usually covered with crud, rusted or corroded, and all but indistinguishable as a tag even if the focus is moderately good. The ad says "all the information you need is on the tag". Saw one of those literally two hours ago. And these bazoos thing they are going to sell something!

Rant over.

Get a few better pics so we can tell what you have and I'm sure someone here will recognize it, no matter what it is, and give you some idea of what it is worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 07:33:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,906 Posts

And while it IS important to save the remaining old engines, even MORE important are the machines they go to! Engine shows are full of neat engines doing nothing or driving some cobbled load. But the original machines are even more special!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 01:42:03 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,271 Posts

To re-cap, clean it off a bit, and take more pictures of the engine, if possible. Note some details: is it stuck? free (turns over), does it have compression? Spark? Any tag information? The more details you can give us, the better we can advise you. welcome to the Stak! if you wish to sell, post on the enginads forum here on the Stak. It's free, only a small donation to help maintain the forum is asked for - after thebsale is done. if it is not sold, nothing owed.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:27:32 PM
Registered

Thanks so much!

I'll be digging it out in the next 2 weeks and will get pictures of everything that I can. There are more engines to do the same with, identify, post, sell, etc. The Wisconsin is the only one I knew as soon as I looked at it. The others are mostly B & S while others I have no clue until I get heavily involved in that area.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:30:10 AM
Registered-I

if you were closer to NY, i would say scrap the wisconsins at my house. you can put them on smokstak's own "engine ad's " it's free and your already singed up for it when you signed up for this forum..
i've sold some stuff on engine ad's met some nice fellow gear heads also.
sure would like to see some more pictures of the wisconsin's when you dig them out. that one picture looks like it may be a electric start AENLD. hard to tell from just the one side picture. i have a running one but it has a rod knock could use the parts.
good luck and get us engine freaks some more pics..
thanks
Pete