Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Mega fire or Nova to fire Wico??

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 5343 times

Old 02-25-2008, 02:27:39 PM
Registered-I

Default Mega fire or Nova to fire Wico??

Hi,

Does anyone have anything good to say about the chips that megafire and nova offer to replace points and condensers.I have several gravely's running wico xh, I use on my properties and continually fight with the tungsten points that seem to be the only ones available these days, platinum being not available for these?

I have installed several chips megafire and nova with disappointing results so far.The spark seems less intense and deteriorates in time,so what is the point?

I have a bunch of extra mags and the coils on the ones I am using show relative resistance and all work perfectly with points, until points do what they do after a few hrs of running.

Anyone else have any positive experience with the electronic triggers or know where one can get real points?

Thanks for your time, John
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 04:53:28 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: Mega fire or Nova to fire Wico??

I use the Sten's Mega-Fire chip on my 1979 Yamaha DT-125 and the Wico mag on my Lincoln 180 DC portable welder powered by a THD Wisconsin. I also have modified one to use in a 1928 Allis-Chalmers Model E tractor. I will use them any where I can.

Kent
Old 02-25-2008, 06:15:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,271 Posts
Exclamation Re: Mega fire or Nova to fire Wico??

Burning, arcing or fast wearing points are indicaters of either a mis-matched or failing condenser. A bad condenser will also give poor spark.
Andrew
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25:59 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Mega fire or Nova to fire Wico??

I tend to agree with Andrew...a good condenser is essential to proper operation and if you have a good one along with good points, a good coil, and a strong magnet you should have no trouble whatsoever.

...mags are simple and reliable...I run stock mags on a variety of equipment and rarely if ever have a failure......and most of the airplanes I fly in have magneto ignition on them, and I've rarely had trouble there either.

Also, most high performance car engine builders will tell you that a properly set up and tuned stock ignition setup is very hard to beat....you can spend many hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars on aftermarket ignition setups and not really see a noticeable gain for it.