Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Jelbart tractor see photo

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 8191 times

Old 10-07-2008, 08:22:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,020 Times in 664 Posts
Default Jelbart tractor see photo

Look at the neat old tractor on ebay 200260418393.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2008, 09:33:11 PM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 6,005 Posts
Default Re: Jelbart tractor see photo

I moved this here rather than the Ebay auction forum as this one is just too cool and will PROBABLY get a lot more attention here.
In fact I emailed the seller and asked if it's OK to "borrow" his photos and attach them here so they are available for a LONG LONG time........

I'll try hotlinking one photo for now:
If the photo doesn't display here's the link: http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/11/ab/ac74_3.JPG

After giving Ebay's privacy policy and conditions of use a GOOD read.......I took down the display properties of the above image.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54:52 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,149 Posts

That is a neat looking tractor. Jelbart is a new one on me. Anyone have any further information as to production, models, history etc?? Tried to look it up in Wendel's Standard catalog but it is not listed.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:23:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,622 Times in 720 Posts

Phil, there's a little bit of info here with some more photos of Jelbart tractors: http://www.steel-wheels.net/jelbart.html

All the best

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Parfitt For This Post:
Old 10-08-2008, 02:58:23 PM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 6,005 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Jelbart tractor see photo

The seller of the tractor will not allow me to save his photos and archive them here in the forums.
That said.......there's nothing to prevent someone from saving them for their own use.......

I think it's a shame to not WANT to have those photos available to others for posterity.......
Old 10-08-2008, 07:21:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,088 Times in 476 Posts

Saved them

I wonder how many of this type remain?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parfitt View Post
Phil, there's a little bit of info here with some more photos of Jelbart tractors: http://www.steel-wheels.net/jelbart.html

All the best

David
Thanks for the info, Dave. I have a relative (and old tractor nut)
in that area of Oz. I'll email him and see if he can come up with anything else.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:51:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,973 Times in 254 Posts

This Google Books link is a good place to start as they have four pages of company history in book entitled Australian Tractors by Graeme R. Quick.

http://books.google.com/books?id=QaY...esult#PPA73,M1

Here are a few links I found with different photos of the tractor. Enjoy

http://mview.museum.vic.gov.au/paima...000/000820.htm
http://mview.museum.vic.gov.au/paima...003/003062.htm
http://mview.museum.vic.gov.au/paima...000/000818.htm
http://christchurchcitylibraries.com...ils/index5.asp
http://www.steamengine.com.au/events...rt-tractor.jpg
http://www.pictures.libraries.vic.go...ages/14527.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14440458@N06/1556816223/
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobka...ietractors.htm
http://www.antiquetractorstore.com/a.../artint208.htm

Last edited by Randy Reysen; 10-08-2008 at 10:57:35 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randy Reysen For This Post:
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10:05 AM
Subscriber

I highly highly recommend Dr Quick's book im a young Aussie vintage machinery nut and i learnt so much about my own countries tractor history. Another good tractor historian is a bloke named Ian M Johnson he has 3 books and covers all makes of tractors and machines.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:32:59 AM
Registered-II

Hi Folks, I can fill you in a bit on the jelbart tractors. They were made in a town not far from me in a place called Ballarat , Victoria, Australia. Only just over 600 were ever produced ,in varied hp ranges. They were a totally unique two stroke engine of which i wont even attempt to explain how they work.( I have helped start a few and seen a few in bits and i still dont understand??). It's actually Jelbarts 100th anniversary rally this weekend at lake goldsmith, Victoria. I will take a few pics and try and post them for you and maybe a bit of video for youtube as well. I'm in the process of adding one of these tractors to my collection and will certainly post pics then .Still trying to finish the bathroom renovation for the minister for war and finance as bit of a remuneration package.
As for the E bay tractor it was rumored the owner wanted around the $30,000 dollar mark for it. So i was surprised to see it only made $19.500. Mind you the winning bidder is also rumored to be living in a little town about 15 Klm's away from the seller. (A mate bumping up the price you could say). But as i say this is only a rumor , but you can be sure with only limited numbers of these tractors left it wont be hard to find out what happened.
P.s the price i quoted are in "Australian dollars" , so converted into U.S currency it sold for around $25 bucks .Only jokin. Cheers . Pete.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Pete For This Post:
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11:05 AM
Registered-II

Hi all , finally got my Jelbart home the other weekend. So as promised heres a pic. I'll take a few more if anyones interested. There is one on you tube the same. !0 hp motor ,6 hp at the draw bar. Woo Hoo. Cheers .Pete.
P.s. hopefully the photo works!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	58476  
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01:33 AM
Registered-II

Hi All, just adding to my Jelbart collection. As stated the last little green tractor had a 10 H.P single in it. This new one is a 45 h.p single and about three times the size. To give you and idea, those back wheels are about an inch higher than i am tall. And I'm 6ft 3" most days of the week. Woo Hoo. Cheers. Pete. hope the pic works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jack 3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	145311  
Old 09-21-2012, 07:45:29 AM
Subscriber

GDay Rusty Pete, Congratulations, on getting this tractor home I'am sure you will enjoy owning & running this great tractor , there is no other tractor that sounds like it ,or can pull like a big JELBART ,
Regards Stuart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart Landry For This Post:
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24:48 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,588 Times in 902 Posts

Thanks a lot for the pictures . I hope you really enjoy your new tractor. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 09-21-2012, 11:26:43 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Pete View Post
Hi All, just adding to my Jelbart collection. As stated the last little green tractor had a 10 H.P single in it. This new one is a 45 h.p single and about three times the size. To give you and idea, those back wheels are about an inch higher than i am tall. And I'm 6ft 3" most days of the week. Woo Hoo. Cheers. Pete. hope the pic works.
Pete, is that a Renault HI crawler I see in the background in your shed?

All the best

David
Old 09-22-2012, 06:14:50 AM
Registered-II

Well spotted David, I though it was well hidden behind the rumley, Unfortunately no its not my shed. I lucked out on buying the Jelbart as it had been sold a few years earlier, luckily for me the heritage people didn,t give it an export permit which gave me a chance to purchase it. I seem to think the renault might have been sold to a fellow in Belgium although im not %100 sure on that. Cheers.Pete.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Pete For This Post:
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39:05 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Pete View Post
Well spotted David, I though it was well hidden behind the rumley, Unfortunately no its not my shed. I lucked out on buying the Jelbart as it had been sold a few years earlier, luckily for me the heritage people didn,t give it an export permit which gave me a chance to purchase it. I seem to think the renault might have been sold to a fellow in Belgium although im not %100 sure on that. Cheers.Pete.
Thanks Pete. As far as I know, someone in the UK was trying to export the Jelbart, but it seems they were unsuccessful. One Renault crawler (from the Red Hill Museum sale) has already come back to Belgium, so I wonder if the one in your photo, which I think was previously in the Rohrlach museum, is also headed there?

It's strange how export permission was refused for the Jelbart, but not for the Renault (or the Glasgow), which is much rarer in Australia. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the Jelbart is Australian-built, or maybe it is a scarce model/size?

All the best

David
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30:46 AM
Registered-II

Hi David, I have seen some of the conditions they place on tractors ect for export permits and basically, if there is one tractor in the same or better condition left in the country then a permit will be granted. There are Renault's and Glasgows left here somewhere so thats possibly the reason they left. As for the Jelbart , sure there is at least one other 45 H.P tractor left here (that I know of) but this is the only one with a winch mounted on the rear axle. As far as I know it worked in the riverena area of Victoria where it was probably used for land clearing(stump pulling). As for where the renault is heading, i have no idea then. Its hard to keep up with the movement of some of this gear, let alone to scrape up enough money to keep some of it here. But i'm trying. Cheers.Pete
The attached picture is of the hub release , you can just make out the cable drum behind the spokes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	436.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	145467  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Pete For This Post:
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29:00 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,627 Times in 2,428 Posts

Pete, congrats on acquiring such a neat tractor, and keeping it in the country of origin! That means a LOT.

Mike M
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 09-22-2012, 09:24:39 PM
Subscriber

The Renault HI shown in the photo behind the Rumley is the one that used to be in the Kev Rohrlach museum at Angaston. It originally came from Nelyambo Station in NSW. I think this was painted on the front right chassis rail, and is what you can see in the photo, but is a bit hard to make out in the photo.

Regarding the export of tractors, someone told me once (can't confirm this at all), is that if the same model of tractor already existed in an Australian public museum or public collection, then an export permit might be granted. If that particular tractor is the only one here, or if there is something unique about it, then the permit is refused.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

I should also add that the former Rohrlach museum Renault and the former Red Hill Renault are two different tractors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Gillingham For This Post: