eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

Ebay fees?

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2272 times

Old 10-28-2008, 06:21:02 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,002 Times in 663 Posts
Default Ebay fees?

I have bought and sold on ebay for almost ten years and have a 650 100% rating. As of the 20th of this month you have to use a credit card or pay-pal to do transactions there. They are collecting a fee for pay-pal on top of the selling commissions and other listing fees. You will not be able to say in your ad NO PAY-Pal any longer and are forcing you to join. Well it's over for me with them, they have gotten the big head after i have paid thousands of dollars in commissions. We need to support Harry and other sites and let them rot.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gene Fisher For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2008, 06:32:30 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ebay fees????

Can't really say I blame you, there is always Craig's list.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:53:12 PM
Sky

aint had a problem yet myself. Im sure that will change if they force paypal 100 percent. But the option of money orders and checks are still available last time i checked. I dont understand those that list and say the option is not there for a money order or check becouse as of yet, it currently STILL IS. I have a 100 percent ratings for 114 feedbacks in all. I know you have to use paypal to sell but to buy,... No problems yet.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:54:19 PM
Subscriber

Ya know that's damned interesting.............

A couple days ago with the weather getting nice and cold I was considering getting some good junk together to sell on eBay. I was "into" it a couple years ago and they jacked me around then to the point where I had to form a new I.D. because I had laid inactive for so long. I thought "oh well".

But looking on there recently and hearing stuff like this from you makes me believe that I don't want to be there.

Bruce
Old 10-28-2008, 06:57:47 PM
Registered-I

Could it be they are demanding all sellers accept Paypal?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,469 Times in 807 Posts

Give www.wagglepop.com a try. Or use the classifieds. Or use both in unison for more hits on your auctions. Just dont forget to chip in a little for Harry. Its only right when you get the publicity that these classifieds provide to the seller. Wagglepop isnt real big yet, but they dont have the rules that EvilPay has....
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20:18 PM
Registered-III

Well, if you sell through a local auctioneer he steals a good chunk from both the buyer and the seller.

If you can top the exposure and results somewhere other than ebay then go for it.

I can't say I like the way ebay is heading, but you have to admit that the results are tough to beat as a seller. Are the fees too high now, or have they been too low in the past?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:42:10 PM

Thanked 20,737 Times in 6,002 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Ebay fees????

The fees were not too low in the past.........before they sold themselves and went public they had other things to deal with rather than the results of the next quarter thereby propping up the share price and keeping stock holders happy.......which requires MANY more tons of money than they needed to operate than before they got the Wall Street bug.

Corporate America has claimed another one....... ....... .....and it's all legal extortion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 10-28-2008, 09:05:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

Hmmm... I didn't have any problem on my buying and selling eBay id bantinggreyhound. I think there is a information on why Ebay has requirements. I think on basis what happened is to use credit card requirement to verify matching personal identifications to prevent fraudulent.
I will check on E bay discussion board.
E Bay owns PayPal but in separate https systems.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26:04 PM
Registered-III

After over 3,000 sales of high end antique tools with 100% fedback, we have quit eBay for the same reasons. Several of our friends that do the same have quit as well for the same reasons.

Harry, I would be happy to pay you to add a quality antique tool listing group. We generally do not sell any of our H&M items as that is for our personal collection but I can tell you that at this past Saturdays tool auction in Harrisburg, about $250,000 changed hands.

We have found a couple of other eBay alternatives which are growing in members and sales. No PayPal mandates and the fees are about half.

Regardless, this is the one website we check every day,
Thanks, Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Grivna For This Post:
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46:03 PM
Registered-II

Ebay seems to be determined to drive away as many customers as possible. I have never sold anything there because I refuse to entrust a credit card number to the internet, never mind an outfit as hopelessly incompetent as ebay. As tough as it is to find and buy anything, the mind fairly reels at the thought of trying to sell something.

I've said many times that I would give up on ebay completely, but I still do go back from time to time to find odds and ends that are tough to find locally. Every time I visit, though, they've figured out at least one way to make things more complicated and displeasing. For instance, now searches are arrayed in what they call "best match", whatever that means. It appears to be nonsense randomness. I always like "ending soonest", because that way I can see what's ending today and also what's newly listed, at the tail end of the queue.

It's too bad, really, because ebay could be a real resource to folks who would like to buy and sell their odds and ends. As it is, though, it's just a mess. I do most of my buying and all of my selling on craigslist. It's great, easy and FREE. You even get to communicate with your neighbors in Nigeria. How can ya go wrong?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52:35 PM

Thanked 20,737 Times in 6,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Grivna View Post
Harry, I would be happy to pay you to add a quality antique tool listing group.

Regardless, this is the one website we check every day,
Have you checked out the classifieds here?
All Harry asks is a tiny donation in exchange for the otherwise free classifieds.
And there is a catagory to suit your needs.......

http://www.enginads.com/classifieds/index.php

Um......if you don't put any personal information in your ads HERE you WON'T be getting any friendly communications from the Nigerians either.......
Old 10-29-2008, 01:03:23 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ebay fees?

Paying "payPal" fees is not as painful as waiting for some loafers check or money order to be sent whenever he gets around to it.
Recieved a Canadian Postal money order after 14 days,My bank charged 10.00
and took 5 weeks to process.Everyone has his hand out when your making money,it's called overhead.
You have a choice,play and pay, or take your marbles and go.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:41:02 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,271 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Ebay fees?

I 'bought' 2 carved wooden airplane models thru EBay, and paid thru Paypal. Never received items, Ebay refused to try and get my visa refunded because the transaction was more than 30 days long. Paypal said the same. I was quoted a 60 day wait period, as the models were to be custom built. If EBay and Paypal won't back their supposed secure services, then why should we use and pay for them?
Andrew
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29:06 PM
Registered-III

Andrew,I avoid buying on Ebay.Just to strenuous.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:02:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,990 Times in 3,785 Posts

I didn't realise till it was too late, but I found out the hard way that eBay no longer refunds the reserve fee if your item meats the reserve and sells, as of Feb 2008. Put a reserve on so you can use the lower start price to attract bidders without risking giving something away and you pay dearly whether it sells or not. At 1%, a $3000.00 reserve adds another $30.00 to a listing fee above and beyond the variable start price fee, the picture fee, the buy it now fee, and now the mandated Paypal fee that could sometimes be avoided in the past. At the risk of losing bidders, it's cheaper to pay the listing fee for a higher start price than to use a low start price with a reserve.
Used to get the reserve fee back if your item sold, as they got their commission out of the final value fee. If your item didn't sell then you lost the reserve fee, which would have been not much higher than a newspaper add anyway, but it kept people from using eBay for free advertizing putting high reserves on everything. If you're lucky enough to buy things cheap and sell them at a good price on eBay, then you can still make out OK, but if you bought high dollar stuff and let it go cheap on eBay just to get rid of it, you have to consider All of your Fee's and Commissions along with the obvious loss if it sells for less than you paid for it.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:04:02 AM
Registered-III

I refuse to use Epay anymore, I still watch and the odd time buy some items off there, but refuse to sell and pay their rediculous fees they rape you with, and I damn sure won't use Ripoff Pal, if the seller won't take a money order, then I don't need the item.
They make enough off the sales they get let alone paying them another 3.4% for Ripoff Pal....

Brian