Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Looking for the value of a forge tools

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 4679 times

Old 04-17-2010, 09:14:28 PM
Registered-I

Default Looking for the value of a forge tools

I have the chance to buy an old coal fired forge with variable speed blower, several tools, 5-5 gallon pails of coal and a hugh shaping block with holder. I was wondering what something like this would be worth?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 10:28:29 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Looking for the value of a forge tools

Keep an eye on flea-bay, that sort of stuff shows up often. That big block that looks like a chunk of swiss cheese with bites taken out of the edges is called a "swage block", that is worth a few $$

Joe B
Old 04-20-2010, 09:54:31 PM
Registered-II

Similar to real estate, it is location, location, location. Out here on the Left Coast, blacksmithing items are more scarce. Items like you describe out here would be: forge, if working, $100 and up depending on size and condition, swage block $200-$300, tongs up to $10-$15, variable speed blower (electric?? brand name??) $?? (Champion 400s go for $75 and up, they are a hand crank blower, probably the finest blower ever made), coal is where you find it and it may not be blacksmithing coal. Antique store prices are more, if you are buying stay away from them, go shop around blacksmiths.

Your description is missing two critical tools: the anvil ($1-$2 a pound) and a post vice ($75 and up). Modern cast iron anvil-shaped-objects (ASOs) are a POS, do not buy them, do not encourage the maggots. Flea markets and garage sales sometimes cough out tools. I get tongs for $2 here in Davis, people don't know what they are, cross pein blacksmith hammers the same. Most everyone thinks anvils are made out of gold when you try to buy. The cheapest post vice I got was for $10, my main post vice (complete and working) was for $50 at a flea market, my main anvil was part of a 3 way trade after being fished out of a creek, and is a 150 year old 110 lb Joshua Wilkinson, my forge is built around a tweer purchased for $50 at the Woodland Swap Meet last fall and the $75 Champion 400, still hoping for a swage block if the blacksmithing fairy decides to leave one.

These things can be, and often are, antiques, but we consider them working tools

David Hughes
Old 04-21-2010, 05:48:10 PM
Registered-II

One way to approach this issue is to get a catalog from a company that sells new stuff.

Take this link and do as you will:
http://www.centaurforge.com/inforequest.asp

Their catalog used to be a lot bigger, but if it still lists blacksmith stuff (mostly a farrier catalog recently), it will be helpful for setting the absolute top price that one could ever pay.

Since you sound new to blacksmithing, go here for ideas on how to get going and find stuff:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/GetStartedBsmthg.htm

Pete Stanaitis
Old 04-21-2010, 06:15:52 PM
Registered-II

I guess I should have added this to my previous post:

http://www.piehtoolco.com/contents/en-us/d1186.html

There are, of course, others.

Pete Stanaitis
Old 04-22-2010, 09:06:17 AM
Registered-I

I already bought the anvil from him, and I think I will buy the rest of what he has. I know the anvil is over 100 lbs and the edges are a little rounded but still not too bad for $125, as anvils around here seem to bring top dollar. The blower is electric and I don't know what brand it is. The forge is about 30" tall and 4' in diameter. There is a vise included, but I'm not sure if it is a post vise or not and I am also getting a wall mount drill press from the late 1800's that he put an electric motor on. The entire package is $500...deal or no deal?...lol