Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

older briggs engine

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1041 times

Old 04-05-2003, 11:40:36 PM
Eric McKenna

Default older briggs engine

Hi Guy's I just stumbled across an engine that I am unable to post a picture of at this time. However if someone is pretty good at identifying an older briggs model I can still e mail a picture! It seams to have a strange looking barrel type carb, and the spark plug goes into the head almost sideway's unlike todays briggs models that the spark plug is vertical. I would be interested in the year made and weather it was a model of any significant value, or something that was not worth the time to get it running. It is only missing the muffler ( I Think) and it turns over and has compression. If anybody would be willing to look at a photo to help idntify this engine, I will be happy to E mail a couple pic's Thanks Harry!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2003, 01:13:31 AM
Randy Hart

Default Re: older briggs engine

Eric, Take a look around this Briggs site and see if you can ID it that way.. Lots of great photos and info ! Hope this helps.. Randy Hart Ohio http://www.edgeta.org/techdata.htm
Old 04-06-2003, 09:10:15 AM
Eric McKenna

Thanks Randy, I checked out web page and it would seam I have a model Y apx built in march or april of '34............if I am reading chart and serial # corectly! Could anybody fill me in on if this engine is a very common one or?? any input helpfull Thanks Harry!!
Old 04-06-2003, 09:45:09 AM
Al Hettich

Eric. That is not a rare engine, but they are a desirable engine. It is well worth restoring and will fill a corner on your trailer. They look great, (they take the yellow old style Briggs decal)they start good and run nice. They don't make them any more, and that orphan engine will make you proud as it will run when all the other ones are having a bad day. Give it a good home. It likes you, because it found you, and you think you found it. Al
Old 04-06-2003, 10:48:42 AM
Brian Watson

Could be either a model "L" or model "Y". The L has a nearly level head. The cooling fins are almost level on top. The Y has fins looking more like a ramp on top. These engines were designed for washing machines in 1930 for the L and 1931 for the Y. The FH had overhead valves, but required a high tub for the engine to fit under it. The L and Y are the first "side valve" engines Briggs produced. While these were common in their day, they're fairly rare today.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- alschlmers@aol.com
Old 04-06-2003, 02:31:12 PM
Mike in NC

The model "H" looks just like the model "Y".

Mike and Jen's Old Engines
Old 04-07-2003, 01:02:43 PM
John Glowacki

Eric, check out this web site to ID Briggs engines. It is very helpful and has an area to date engines based on the model and serial mumber.

It's worth saving and getting running. Just figure when a lot of old Briggs engines were made, hit and miss engines were scraped and melted into new parts. Now that was a shame.

John Glowacki

http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs/engnotes.html
Old 04-07-2003, 06:41:54 PM
Larry Dunlap

Eric,I have a model "Y" made in augast of "35" unrestored, runs great,belonged to my Grandpa,wouldn't trade it for anything.Have fun!! Larry Thanks Harry