Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

GrandDads Old Forge

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2682 times

Old 06-12-2011, 02:48:25 PM
Registered-I

Default GrandDads Old Forge

My 8 year old grandson is usually over here on Sundays and most of the time asks if there is anything out in the shop he can help me with Ö..especially if it involves using the tools he got for Christmas.

I had brought my Granddads forge back from IL many years ago knowing that I was the only one who would eventually do anything with it. Itís a Champion Blower and Forge 147, with a 22Ē cast iron pan. I am told Granddad used it on the farm for shoeing the horses until they started using tractors in the 30s. I decided this would be a good weekend to clean it up and put it back together. I got it apart yesterday and sandblasted and painted.

It was really in pretty good shape, everything there, no cracked castings or burn thru, the blower gears are in great shape and it work smoothly.

Anyway we got it put togetherÖ.. I donít know what he had more fun doing putting it together or cranking the blower.

The one question I have is if anybody has an idea on what the actual age on this would be.

Anyway here are some pictures of our efforts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Patterson For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 02:51:14 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: GrandDads old forge

A couple more pictures

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Patterson For This Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 04:10:22 PM
Registered-III

Thats Just great! the forge looks better than new
Old 06-12-2011, 05:24:32 PM
trowel

it's called a riveters, farriers or pan forge used for light to medeum duty smithing, mosly for horse shoeing, i would put it at 1920's to 1930's due to the leg support strap and of the blower,
you did a very good job cleaning and painting it, looks ready to be used,
trowel
Old 06-12-2011, 09:25:11 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: GrandDads Old Forge

Nice little forge. Even neater are the two lead hammer casting tools. You can set your grandson up in business making lead hammers!

Mike
Old 06-12-2011, 09:39:09 PM
Registered-I

w have one almost just like that. Just used it today to make my mom her b-day present. Was a good day for it to.
-Owen
Old 06-12-2011, 10:31:45 PM
Registered-I

Funny you should mention the hammers. Iíve been using those molds off and on since I was in my teens (Iím almost 60 now). I was a mechanic by trade and always had one of each of the lead hammers in my tool box. I would remold them when they got beat up and I happened to be back in IL to visit the folks. Iíve also used them a couple of times since they have been out here with me.

Iím about due to remold the hammers again and my grandson is about old enough (and listens well enough) for me to have him watch. Heís just a little too young and arms arenít strong enough to trust with a hot ladle yet.

I also have a couple of aluminum knife handle molds that my Granddad from my momís side of the family gave me back in the 60s after he retired as a machinist. Iíve re-handled a bunch of knives with those (I used to pick up nice knives with bad handles at the swap meets) and even built a couple of knives from scratch.

Weíll see how it goes, I would love to my grandson to be interested enough in this to be able to pass some of this stuff on to another generation, but Iím not going to force him into it. For now anyway he is interested and I do enjoy are time together.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Patterson For This Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 04:40:32 PM
Registered

What did you use to clean it up and what paint did you use on the fire pan? Ive got a Champion Midway #75 but the blower is missing. Mine has four legs and they thread into the pan. The feet have rusted away and i soaked them in Rust Blaster to loosen them up. I twisted off two of them and got the other two to thread out. Now I have to figure out how to get the stubs out!
David