Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

To sell or not

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2260 times

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43:38 AM
Registered-I

Default To sell or not

My collection is starting to take up more room than I have for storage. Every time I sell something it isn't a real long time and I wish I still had it. I have duplicates of a couple things and don't know if I should sell them or not. I could keep them for parts but the pieces I have fixed up don't get used much. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 10:54:22 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: To sell or not

Welll.. Chester, My Experience is ... You will always wish You had an Engine back, It happens every time, But if You sell off Dupes" then it doesn,t hurt so bad> Larry KF4LKU
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorCraftMan For This Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 06:58:09 PM
Registered-I

Well selling an extra is one way to not feel so bad when you buy another different piece. And the room is already there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cavry For This Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 08:21:03 PM
Registered-III

Sorry, this probably won't help much, but maybe it will. If you have duplicates sell, it does open more room for new items. I have sold duplicates and find every reason for doing it (all which are legit) and hate my self, life, ect, ect but life goes on and I get over it.

What kills me is those things that I had and sold that were close or not at all duplicates that are now gone and I have nothing at all, not even anything close to show for it.

It's your call. We all hate getting rid of anything. Like I said, probably not much help for you, but I have let a bunch of stuff go. Much I am ok with, but much I sure wish I'd have kept.

I hope this helps at least a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 08:48:07 PM
Registered-II

my collection of excessive stuff had gotten too heavy to move ie thick steel plates boring bars for engine blocks 11 excessive lawnmowers needed to work on my used daily driver still cleaning stuff i/ll never use then there is always for new opportunity and challenges at 66 i/m slowing down and i want room not old history my 2 cents hope this helps all the best
The Following User Says Thank You to Windables For This Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 01:07:16 PM
Registered-III

Hi Chester,

My hubby and I have often tried to write down the top ten items we would never sell. Then, it goes to the top 20. That is 20 for him and 20 for me. Then of course, there are the kids they must have their 20 items, too. Pretty soon it is up to 80 then, why not round it off to 100. So, far we only get rid of stuff that we don't like anymore or that have given us so much trouble in the past we are tired of working on it. We strip off the good parts of the vehicles and scrap the rest. I have often thought ,"Let's just keep the best and forget the rest."

Before you know it, we are not getting rid of much. We are hauling more in. We have a dream list; not a kick the bucket list. But, we are moving in the right direction. We are zeroing in on the top ten and fixing them.

If it doesn't bring you enjoyment anymore, get rid of it.

Candy
The Following User Says Thank You to Candy T. For This Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 03:35:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,993 Times in 3,787 Posts

While it's hard to part with ANYTHING, and once you do, you wish you had it back.... If it's duplicate Parts that you hope you will never need for the better ones, they are a little easier to part with, especially if it helps someone else to restore their equipment so you know it went to a good home.

Also better to sell when you don't need to so you can set the price at what you're comfortable with, than to have sell out of desperation sometime down the road and let things go for whatever they'll bring which sometimes isn't very much if you don't catch the right person at the right time. At that point, it did you little good to hang on to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 08-19-2011, 08:20:31 PM
Registered-III

yea doesnt bring you joy anymore I just keep pushing things farther back in the shop now Im running out of room both shops I keep thinking when things get better I will sell but who knows when that will be I kick myself for selling all them old camaros chevelles an such for what seem like alot back then but now wow! so for now I will be very selective in what I sell and worry about it later.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrtowmanalan For This Post: