Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Barn fresh model Y

this thread has 67 replies and has been viewed 5189 times

Old 06-30-2014, 04:37:05 PM
Registered

Default Barn fresh model Y

I just picked this up yesterday. I had to have it. The guy had a tag sale and I asked if he had any old engines. He pulled this out. It's missing the air cleaner, muffler, and the cap for the clutch.

I think I paid too much. He wanted $100 and I wound up giving him $80. But I have always wanted an older briggs like this. Where are the best places to get parts for this? I'd like to restore it. But I might just clean it up and leave it sweaty looking.

I also got a shroud with a fold out crank that starts the motor instead of a recoil. I think it came off a lawn mower.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rigaman For This Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 05:21:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: Barn fresh model y

Hello & Welcome to the Stak!
A Briggs Model Y is not rare - They made over 338,000 of them, but they are good, simple, dependable engines. Lever start is not as common. Yours may have been on a lawnmower. Foot pedal (kick) start is much more common and these saw a lot of use on rural washing machines. Having a proper gas tank is a big plus. Air fliters were not standard, but were an option. Originals are very expensive, but reproductions are available. The starter clutch cover is another pricey & hard to find item. Ebay is a good place to find parts. Mostly used, but NOS stuff comes up from time to time.
With the Serial Number from your ID tag, it can be dated to the month that it was built. Here is a link for a page that shows mfg dates. Scroll down to the Model Y table. Numbers shown are the last unit made that particular month.
http://asecc.com/data/briggs/data3.html
Good luck & Have fun!

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 06-30-2014, 06:38:27 PM
Registered

Awesome thanks. I know they are the most common. So I should have paid less. But I didn't know if it was rare or common at the time. After reading a bit I know they are very common now.

Ya it seems like it should run. I pulled the head and the exhaust valve was stuck open. It had squirrel nutts in it. After I shook the nutts out and gave it a little persuasion it moves up and down freely. It has decent compression now.

Is my gas tank right? I'll look up the serial number.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Looks like feb 1937

Says 60689
Model y
Serial 331773
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29:14 PM
Card Sponsor

Hi I am a sponsor on this site, I have parts for your engine. I would like to help you with information or parts if I can. Thanks Jim
Old 06-30-2014, 07:58:31 PM
Registered

I will let you know what I need as I dig deeper into it

It doesn't seem to be getting spark either. Maybe I'm not turning it over fast enough. But I hope this doesn't get too expensive. If I find another to use for parts, what's a fair price to pay for one of these model y engines? I don't want to buy too much, so I'll fix what I have or buy a parts engine or just buy the things I need.

I will need the clutch cover part, and an exhaust. I will probably need a new elbow for the exhaust too. Mine looks pretty toasty.

Is there value in keeping these original or should I restore it?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26:06 PM
Subscriber

Clean the points gap them at 20 thousants and see if you get spark.