Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

What tools and things to bring to a show?

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 3987 times

Old 06-05-2012, 06:51:19 PM
Registered

Default What tools and things to bring to a show?

In preparation for displaying all our engines both at home at Lang Pioneer Village and on the road what things do you suggest that one should bring besides the obvious; gas, oil, grease and a tool box full of tools ?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2012, 07:14:15 PM
Registered

Default Re: What tools and things to bring to a show?

Just remember they will start at home..at a show the spectaters will suck the air-out..and never fire...LOL..
Old 06-05-2012, 07:41:28 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Also remember that, if you bring everything you even can imagine you will need in the worst case, you will find that you need just the tool you were SURE you wouldn't need.

Don't worry. Everyone else is in the same boat!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45:59 PM
Subscriber

At Lang if you get there early enough you can get under one of the many nice shade trees. Most places the shade trees will be taken by the time you get there so something for shade and to sit on is always good. Spare plugs, wire, assortment of tools. A camera is also good to take pictures of the many different things you will come across at these shows. Some of the people have good imaginations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hastings Pl 2011 0010.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	137021  
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25:20 PM
Registered

Is Starting fluid a no no ?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:48:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD4302 View Post
YES.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49:02 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: What tools and things to bring to a show?

YES! it is a NO-NO! You should not need it to start engines.

Bring: 1) 10# CO2 fire extinguisher. Heaven forbid you have a fire, but an extinguisher can save equipment. The dry chems work well, but if used on a turning engine, usually mean a complete tear down to remove the grit from the engine. It really makes a mess. CO2 is a little more finiky, but if used properly will do the same job, and after it evaporates, you can restart immediately after the fire cause is resolved. 2) 5 gallon bucket of water - you can use your tool bucket if you want. Good for toping off the engines, watering the dog (if you have one), washing up after the show, or before meals, etc.. 3) Roll of paper towels. 4) Small piece of fine grit sand paper. Good for cleaning dirty points, sanding chipped nails, cleaning dirty battery connections. 5) If you have battery and coil engines, a spare battery for each, and a charger. Never know when a battery will run flat on you. I use the batteries for alarm systems, either 6 or 12 volt. Sealed so they won't spill, usually good for a day or 2 of running, charge up at night. Most home despot and Lowes stores have them, probably Tractor Supply as well. I got a 10 amp hour 12 volt at an electrical supply, $18.00. The battery will run my Schramm air compressor for 3 days, without recharge!(uses T coil and has a battery saver). 6) A cooler, ice, and refreshments. On hot days, dehydration is a reality, you are losing water and electrolytes without realizing it. Keep cool AND hydrated. NOTE: if you drink Gatorade, cut it 4:1 with water. Believe it or not, straight water will be absorbed faster than Gatorade, due to the overload of salts and carbs in the drink. The fire service found that it was better to cut it with water to allow faster absorbtion rates than drinking it straight up. Also, if you are thirsty, avoid sodas! Sodas have a lot of sugar, and will make you more thirsty, quicker than water or things like unsweetenned iced tea! 7) Enjoy the show! Take time off to walk around and talk and see other exhibits. Sitting in one spot will eventually cause minor cramping and stiffness. A quick walk around every 2 hours, and a good 1/2 hour walk every 4 is rcommended. Be sure to shut down all equipment, when leaving your site, and be safe! Don't put your hands in jeopardy!. If it is moving, keep your mitts out!

Lastly, WATCH KIDS! They will do the damndedest things, even with parents watching, and the parents, for the most part, won't care! A friend had a video tape of me running a corn grinder at a show, at a well known reconstructed historic site. When my back was turned, a kid threw a handfull of rocks into the grinders' hopper, which promptly jammed the plates. I turned as I heard the grinder slam to a stop, and didn;t see the engine drag the grinder past my back, as the belt wound up on the engine pully. Thankfully, I had the governor locked out, so the engine quit as soon as the belt bound up on the crank. Otherwise quite a few people probably would have been hurt. As this was happenning, my friend caught the kid and his parents running as fast as they could, away from the scene, in the background. The only sounds: a whack as the stones hit the plates, Holey S--T, as the machine flew by my back (camera mans exclaimation), and a grunt and silence as the engine stopped. It all happenned so fast! Luckily, the only damage was to the plates in the grinder - the stones broke about 1/2 the burrs off the plates. I have not been able to find replacements.

Andrew
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 07:30:45 AM
Registered

Excellent list Andrew and many thanks. I never even considered a fire extinguisher.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:05:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

I carry a tool box with me everywhere I go that has most everything I've ever needed as long as no lathe or milling machine work is involved. But when traveling to a show (or swap meet), then I load up on other stuff including:

EXTRA tie down straps, chains & binders in case you buy something else to take home with you, and spare batteries for the camera so you don't miss that great shot because the camera died.

A note pad in case you meet up with someone you want to get in contact with later or they have a lead on something you might want to check out later.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:12:08 PM
Registered

I was accused of bringing everything but the kitchen sink. You can guess what I brought the next year. Now I don't dare leave it home.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,986 Times in 524 Posts

A must is a cooler full of cold refreshments I always remember the drinks but not always the tools. lol
CHECK OUT MY ENGINE VIDEOS AT
http://www.youtube.com/user/gasenginetom
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Winland For This Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 04:01:06 PM
Subscriber

I'm a fan of a big, wide brim hat or sombrero for hot, sunny days being out in the sun.

You'll not get as many compliments for the hat as for your engine and tractor stuff but you'll get more than a few.

When the day is over, you'll be glad you wore it.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:13:05 PM
Registered

I've read the thread that suggests that we fly a SmokStak flag and looking forward to that.

Who would one ask to get permission to use the SmokStak Logo to put on home printed business cards ?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
I've read the thread that suggests that we fly a SmokStak flag and looking forward to that.

Who would one ask to get permission to use the SmokStak Logo to put on home printed business cards
?
I believe that would Harry. The man behind the SmokStak.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41:17 PM
Subscriber

Where does one purchase a Smokstak Flag?
Jim Walker
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54:04 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walker View Post
Where does one purchase a Smokstak Flag?
Jim Walker
I don't believe they're available just yet. There's a thread somewhere here soliciting any interest though...

I'm off to introduce myself to Harry as I would take on both projects as a fund raiser for Smokstak (flags and business cards)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,475 Posts

I might have missed it,but a simple first aid kit with some band-aids for the fingers that get knicked some how or another.A club member was putting a belt on a engine hooked to a saw,and cut and bruised up some fingers at the last one in Foley Mo I was at, Ya know how the fingers get nicked sometimes by a knife cutting wire that you forgot you sharpned,that before wouldnt cut butter but now will cut your finger off,or borrowing someones that is a LOT sharper than the one you forgot or lost...............
Old 06-08-2012, 06:56:44 AM
Registered

Quote:
Instead of starting fluid I carry a can of carb cleaner works good for starting fluid and also for cleaning small parts just don't spray near flame or such and don't spray on the ground.
I put rags down then clean on the rags.

A lot of people laugh at me but they are the same ones who are always asking to use it is a 3/8 electric drill and drill bits up to 1/2" with 3/8 shank and a small grinding wheel for the drill.
I saw a great idea for the fire extinguisher was to drive a post into the ground and mount the extinguisher on it easy to see easy to get and won't be easy and quick to steal.
I know of 3 that were lost last year by theft one was mine.

Last edited by Dale Barnett; 06-08-2012 at 07:19:43 AM. Reason: added
Old 06-09-2012, 02:38:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
I don't believe they're available just yet. There's a thread somewhere here soliciting any interest though...

I'm off to introduce myself to Harry as I would take on both projects as a fund raiser for Smokstak (flags and business cards)
Awaiting Harry's approval.....Have a look here:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105817