Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Fuller Johnson Pump engine, wont latch out

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1962 times

Old 07-20-2012, 05:05:29 PM
Registered

Default Fuller Johnson Pump engine, wont latch out

Hi again, I picked up a F/J pump jack engine 1 1/2 horse? It starts right up runs good, but I cant get it to latch out. I have tried numerous setting on the govenor, different springs on the latch out rod, and different spring on the govenor, nothing seems to work. Timimg is correct as the stamped word SPARK on the flywheel is in the correct posistion when it fires.

The latch out rod doesnt seem to engage when it is supposed to, I can push it in by hand but once I let go of it, it will not latch out,,,,any suggestions will be appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38:01 AM
Registered

Default Re: Fuller Johnson Pump engine, wont latch out

Could someone give me some info on who to contact. I see that perhaps since no one replied,that it may need some answers from someone who has a f/j. Thank you, Mike
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32:20 AM
Registered

Mike is the governor weight pushing the detent lever in far enough? If you pull up on the exh pushrod, latch the detent and let go of the pushrod will the detent stay engaged or does it pop out? Either your detent parts are worn very bad or the governor is not adjusted correctly.

I don't have it handy right now but later today I will post up a scan of the FPE governor adjustment instructions.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:48:28 AM
Registered

Nick it will stay engaged if the motor is not running. I have adjusted the govener every way i can think of and it will not latch out. All the. Parts are in good shape. Nothing seems worn or broke. Thanks for your reply
Old 07-22-2012, 03:54:41 PM
Registered

Are all the springs in place. If they are not it won't work right. I am about 50 miles north of you if you want to look at mine you are welcome to. John
Old 07-22-2012, 06:46:05 PM
Registered

What town u in
Old 07-22-2012, 08:04:43 PM
Registered

Old 07-22-2012, 08:31:31 PM
Registered

New Era about 30 miles north of Muskgon. If helps I will have my engine at the show in Scottville Mi. Aug. 2-4. John
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25:28 AM
Subscriber

I also have a FJ pumping engine and it also does not latch out. I have just begun work on it and and everything is very worn and loose. As I keep fussin' with it and begin to tighten up the play in the linkage it is beginning to try to latch out. One thing I did come to realize, is that I believe the governor weight adj bolt was in backward. I could not roll the engine over slow and push the flyweight far enough to get the latch to catch. Reversed the bolt, and things started to improve. Loosened up the flyweight spring and it actually began to catch, but not solid enough and not reliable enough.

Next move is to stretch the spring and rebuild some of the linkage. Should help, it's pretty hogged out. Still need to boil out the fuel tank, it's about as thick as anything I have ever seen.