Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Enclosed Trailer for my Scale Nichols and George White

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 3461 times

Old 04-07-2013, 07:49:56 PM
Subscriber

Default Enclosed Trailer for my Scale Nichols and George White

Hi all.. Just wanted to share with you what I have been up to. Building a portable shop out of my enclosed trailer that will be used to keep my Grandfather's scale models in. Has anyone else done something similar?? I have a lot of ideas into it already but just thought maybe some others have good suggestions.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00778.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	162340  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 10:16:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts
Default Re: Enclosed Trailer for my Scale Nichols and George White

How about some pics of the engines?.......
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26:45 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,439 Times in 682 Posts

I think that it is an awesome idea. You can even set up a cot and stay in the trailer at the shows.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyG For This Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 06:58:57 AM
Registered

I hope that tool box is secured to the wall and has lockable drawers!

Can't help but notice the wrenches on the wall - what size is you engine? They look awfully big!

I use a 21' flat deck trailer for my 1/2 scale Russell and (from experience) I would suggest some REALLY secure tie-down attachments, preferably chain, as things can really get bounced around on the road!
The Following User Says Thank You to DianneB For This Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01:01 AM
Subscriber

I had kinda planned on a cot of some sort to stay in it as well.

Would like to have pictures of the engines in it and should have by mid June. The engines are 325 miles away from me at the moment, and that is why I haven't done my tie downs yet. They are 5000lb recessed D-ring style tie downs. I would like to use chain, but I think I am gonna do some really heavy duty ratchet straps and see if that will work.

I also want to put some outlets under the bench and maybe some down the side walls in steel conduit. Having a tough time finding an electrician to come and look.

Thanks for the comments.

Oh, yeah engines are 1/3 scale Double Nichols 25-85 and 2/5ths (40%) George White engine.

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

Thanks Dianne.. the toolboxes will be very well secured when I am done. As far as big wrenches go, we have 2 large engines that mom and I own as well so they could be used.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11:58 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,045 Times in 662 Posts
Smile Re: Enclosed Trailer for my Scale Nichols and George White

George
Heres some pics of my enclosed trailer with some of my models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0078-small.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	162399   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0152.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	162400  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamesk815 For This Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18:56 AM
Registered

George White,

Do you ever make it down to the show at Andover, SD? My dad has his (full-sized) 25-85 double N&S there, and it would be a lot of fun to have your 1/3 scale of that style down there as well! Is yours a side-mounted or rear-mounted model?

Hope to meet you and check out your setup some day. My dad also bought a 1/3 scale 65 Case last year, and we had it at Andover (even got a photo op with it next to the Anderson's full-sized 65hp Case!) If you make it there this year, you're welcome to check out the trailer we have for the 1/3 scale Case, also . It is enclosed, looks quite similar to yours actually, but we have a rolling tool-cart which we pull out of the trailer and usually keep near the engine, which makes it really nice to park the trailer out of the way somewhere and still have all of the tools and everything we need handy. The trailer also houses the scale water wagon and scale sawmill which we run with the 1/3 scale Case, so we don't have room for any type of semi-permanent "tool shop" setup inside the trailer like you've got. But the rolling tool cart certainly works well for us.

Regards,
Brandon
The Following User Says Thank You to SteamPilot For This Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 12:14:00 PM
Subscriber

A suggestion for the items on the wall. You could place some threaded studs on the existing vertical wall tubing so that you can screw on wing nuts. Then take a thin piece of plywood the same size as the area of the peg board with a soft foam glued to the side that would face the tools and then drill holes in it to match the studs. When you want travel, install the plywood and screw on the wing nuts and the tools (in theory ) should not dance around and fall off of the peg board.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:00:12 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,834 Times in 645 Posts

To what Jeff said;

Hook the trailer to your truck, close yourself inside, and have a friend drive you around the block. You'll be suprised how much stuff moves, that you have to secure. A lot can be learned with a 10 minute ride.

Pete
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete LaBelle For This Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 01:52:44 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,682 Times in 877 Posts

Over the years I have thought about this subject a lot. First of all a totally enclosed trailer is out. (in my opinion) ....think of having to load up an engine from a show that has just been under steam....sure you can pull the fire but its still going to smoke for a while. I think the best trailer for a engine is a 5th wheel livestock or horse trailer that has open sides. to get rid of the smoke..not completely solid with metal covering the floor for any ashes or sparks. Ideally you would have separate living area up front as well. I believe it was Tommy Jordan from Iowa that had a livestock trailer for his half scale, it worked real well.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:19:51 PM
Registered

Nick (George White) and I are new found steam mates so I’m excited as heck to have this “shop” trailer at my disposal. Jeff, I often load my stuff warm in a pickup topper, and you’re right about the smoke, but think Nick is on the right track for his purposes. Storage, plus hauling, plus living, plus shop…..etc requires an enclosed trailer.
Nick, I’d suggest hardware. Truth is, a lot of us bring a pretty nice cadre of tools, but it’s hard to have enough of the expendables. Belting with a lacer, nuts, bolts, gaskets, a couple chains, battery charger (for leaving the truck lights on!), come-a-long, drill and bits.
Also, compressed air would be a tremendous asset in utility trailer. Maybe an acetylene torch?
You’re getting MY Christmas list for YOUR trailer!!
Good luck
Ray
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54:38 PM
Subscriber

A BIG assortment of scale model fittings including extra piping and the taps and dies makes it nice also. A/C, tv, dvd player, steam dvds, power/gen set, bed, pillow, microwave, cooler/fridge, food and beverages, etc. and you're good to go.....

I am a big fan of box trailers. I don't want an open trailer when I break down and buy something. I want to be able to stay in it and I also like the security of the trailer at stops.

I have seen a 1/2 loaded into a box trailer once the fire was pulled and to me after the ash was pulled the only issue was the heat and the roof vent took care of that. I know of another 1/2 that was loaded into a Uhaul truck and I was told that it was funny watching the truck leave with the rear door down and smoke coming out of any nook and cranny........
Old 04-08-2013, 03:57:46 PM
Registered

a slight word of caution when stocking tools and equipment. The more that you put in that nice trailer the more stuff that you will have to lend out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Feasal For This Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 04:01:58 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete LaBelle View Post
To what Jeff said;

Hook the trailer to your truck, close yourself inside, and have a friend drive you around the block. You'll be suprised how much stuff moves, that you have to secure. A lot can be learned with a 10 minute ride.

Pete
If I did that, I would convince one of my friends to ride in the trailer...........and tell them they had to be in that chair (that I would guess has wheels on it ) and I would try to grab their phone and close the doors before they could ask for a flash light............
Old 04-08-2013, 08:36:30 PM
Registered

Bill, remember I'm the guy looking to borrow that stuff! Seriously, it does make a show more fun if one can get a minor breakdown fixed and finish running

Ray
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray Wangler For This Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58:56 PM
Email NOT Working - Over Quota

Nick: Looks like a neat idea. Good luck with it, and hope to see you and it down the road.

Ray:

Mentioned heading to Rollag to my Grandson yesterday. He said he was going to help run your little steam engine again! You made a great impression on him. Thanks. See you in Rollag!

MP
Old 04-08-2013, 10:59:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,515 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemaker View Post
Over the years I have thought about this subject a lot. First of all a totally enclosed trailer is out. (in my opinion) ....think of having to load up an engine from a show that has just been under steam....sure you can pull the fire but its still going to smoke for a while. I think the best trailer for a engine is a 5th wheel livestock or horse trailer that has open sides. to get rid of the smoke..not completely solid with metal covering the floor for any ashes or sparks. Ideally you would have separate living area up front as well. I believe it was Tommy Jordan from Iowa that had a livestock trailer for his half scale, it worked real well.
Your right about the smoke. If your going to have living quarters, everything inside will smell like smoke.
I had that problem when I put a small BBQ pit inside mine. It cooled off all night, and I dumped the ashes out but it still made everything smell smokey. It took alot of airing out to get rid of the smell, I wont make that mistake again.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kunz For This Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12:05 PM
Subscriber

These engines will never be put up in the trailer when there is even so much as a cinder in firebox or ash pan for that matter so I am not too worried about any of that. I wanted a fully enclosed to protect from the winter elements and such. Thanks for all the input. Great to hear from everyone. I do plan on taking things off the pegboard for travel but it is nice to have up for a week long working schedule.

I don't mind borrowing tools to people at the show. Everyone I have borrowed to has been good to me and brought things back in good shape and even helped me out with other aspects of things as well. Its makes me feel good to help others out in that aspect. What does make me madder than a hornet is not having something that I need when I need it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36:17 PM
Registered

I noticed what Steve said about having a BBQ in the trailer, I know he took the coals out then let it cool, but i wanted to say over here in the last few years there have been several deaths on campsites due to people leaving those small disposable BBQs in a tent to cool off or to heat the tent,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cue-fumes.html
Sorry to interrupt the thread with this issue but if it saves a life.............
Neville
Old 04-09-2013, 08:41:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,747 Times in 564 Posts

I would like to mention that the typical enclosed trailer may not have sufficient floor strength for a steam engine. What I mean by that is that the plywood floor may have enough strength to support it over all, but that the parts where it sits for a time seem to settle under the pin point loads, as in the skid rings on the front wheels seem to apply very concentrated loads on a small area. I keep our engine in a wooden barn with plywood flooring and if I do not add a extra piece of wood when I put it away for the winter it will leave quite a dent in the floor where it sets. I would imagine traveling with it would also apply such forces. I would think a little extra support might be in order. Of course your engines will be a bit lighter than our half scale.