Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Maytag Exhaust Sizes

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1180 times

Old 02-09-2016, 07:57:01 PM
Subscriber

Default Maytag Exhaust Sizes

I had picked up a Maytag 72 years ago with the exhaust being the long metal flexible hose type. It had been attached to the flange with 3 hose clamps, some steel wool for packing, and covered by a tin shell wrapping. Creative, I thought! Anyway, after removing the attachment the metal hose measured 1" OD and the flange (I believe it is Maytag, has an S.. something number on it) is about 1.25" ID, thus the need for the packing, etc. This can't be factory, so was there a spacer or something, or were these just mismatched parts someone put together?
Thanks Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172_Fotor.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	245999  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2016, 08:13:12 PM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag Exhaust Sizes

It looks like the exhaust hose is off a Briggs engine. They were smaller diameter than Maytag. The very early Maytag engines also used a smaller size but that looks like a Briggs hose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Ourada For This Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 01:51:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for the information. I remembered I had another one I picked up somewhere and went looking for it this morning. I found it, that's a new first. Anyway it is for a Maytag being the correct diameter. Also it has the round cast ball on the end and another cylinder type with 4 holes around the circumference. The ball has a piece chipped out of it so I will be attempting a build up using aluminum bronze TIG rod.
Again thanks for the information.
Tom
Old 02-10-2016, 03:08:29 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

Is the cylinder you have about 8" long, with the bolts at the ends? If so, it is a heat isolator - made so you could route the exhaust hose thru a wooden wall without fear of setting the wood on fire from the exhaust heat! I have one - NOS that was in a box.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 07:25:43 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
Is the cylinder you have about 8" long, with the bolts at the ends? If so, it is a heat isolator - made so you could route the exhaust hose thru a wooden wall without fear of setting the wood on fire from the exhaust heat! I have one - NOS that was in a box.
Andrew, I have seen the type that you described, but mine is not like that. It is cast iron and connects to the hose by screwing it on. The cylinder is about 5" in diameter and about 2" long, not counting the screw on part. It also has 4 smaller holes about 1/4" at positions 12, 3, 6, and 9 around the circumference. Really small I thought.

Note: My attempt to repair the missing chipped out part of the ball muffler by a weld build up using aluminum bronze worked rather well. A little grinding, some paint and it will look just like new and hard to tell a piece about 1" square had been broken off.