Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

12.0 DJC Intermittent Output Problem

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2151 times

Old 04-23-2005, 05:18:59 PM
Sponsor

Default 12.0 DJC Intermittent Output Problem

Hi Gang,

I've got a problem with my DJC that I hope someone can help me with. Occasionally, it doesn't produce voltage. I encountered this problem when I first bought it, and thought it might be a defective field output circuit breaker. I installed a new one, and the generator worked fine. Today I tried it, and it wouldn't put out voltage. After poking around inside the regulator assembly, I tried it, and it worked fine. Two more tries and it worked fine, unloaded and loaded. I shut the unit down and tried it again. Alas, no output. It seems like if it starts and produces voltage, I don't have any problem. If it starts and doesn't produce voltage, I can shut it down and sometimes it will work on a restart, sometimes not. This has to be a simple problem like a loose connection, but I can't find it. The fact that it's intermittent makes it all the more fun. All of the terminal connections seem tight in the voltage regulator, and the foil on the circuit board looks good and clean.

The voltage regulator board is a #300-1540. When the unit is not working, the output is 36 VAC. When it is working, I can adjust the voltage pot on the regulator board and the output voltage responds smoothly. I was checking to see if there might be a dead spot on the pot. (ha-ha)

If anyone has encountered a problem similar to this, please let me know how you fixed it. Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2005, 08:03:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,074 Posts
Default Re: 12.0 DJC Intermittent Output Problem

Steve:
Sounds like you do have residual voltage when it is not producing full rate output. Usually means the problem is not in the generator. Check all of the wires, especially F1 and F2, either that or you have a bad regulator. If you need one, PM me, don't pay Onan's price for a new one.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:54:32 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: 12.0 DJC Intermittent Output Problem

Thanks, Gunny. I'll go through the wiring again. This is a frustrating problem, since it is intermittent. Today, I was going through the troubleshooting flow chart in the YD service manual. I disconnected the CMR21 reactor to check continuity. The unit checked out and I connected it back to TB21. I started the unit before proceeding to the next step and it produced voltage. A couple of starts later, the output dropped to residual voltage again. GRRRRRRR! I'll keep your offer of the regulator board in mind.

Steve