Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

IHC "Brewster Green"

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 12590 times

Old 03-14-2006, 08:45:16 AM
Registered

Default IHC "Brewster Green"

Is there any stores that you can think of that would carry the Brewster Green already mixed for brush painting? I can have a paint shop here mix it up but it will only be for spraying. I just need a quart or less to brush 2 flywheels. Also what is the code for Brewster Green? I have had some shops that don't know what color it is without a code. Thanks in advance!

MIke
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2006, 09:20:02 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,018 Times in 396 Posts
Default Re: IHC "Brewster Green"

The Paint codes
for the IHC Oxblood Red and the Brewster Green for DUPONT DULUX ENAMAL

Are the red is 143 DH The Green is 24166 D The codes for the thinner for spraying use T 3812 for brushing use T 3819

I got these numbers probably close to 25 years ago from old hardware store that was closing and have used this paint on a number of restorations and it is an exact match to parts that I have collected over the years that still have orginal paint on them.

If you don't have a good Dupont distrubutor near you the paint can be purchased from Mammele's Paint in Wilmington, Del. at 302-998-0541 or 302-654-4451. They will ship it to you. I have never had any luck with stores that sell dupont automotive paint. They do NOT have access to these old numbers, you must use a dealer that sells industrial coatings.

Hope this helps.

LeRoy Baumgardner
Old 03-14-2006, 09:28:16 AM
Registered

Hi Mike...here's a paint code....Adirondack Green is listed:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/mur...aint_codes.htm

This is also good info:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libr...ves/ihc/paint/

and here's IHC's paint chart..this might wrap pretty bad..will see:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/...it%3DSearch%26

If that link didn't work..go to the first link and do a search for paint chart.

Hope this helps,
RickinMt.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:19:45 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,335 Times in 906 Posts

Let us know if you can get brewster green. I tried to get some mixed for a freinds stover and the dupont guys couldnt match it using dulux code. They said dupont didnt make dulux any longer?. I dont remember what color they needed to go into it but they couldnt match it? I think the ihc are adrionic green like Rick mentioned which I believe they can match.BobRR
Old 03-14-2006, 11:50:04 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: IHC "Brewster Green"

Fed Govt made Dupont drop Dulux line for VOC (air pollution) regulations. A good Dupont daeler should have a crossover # to Centari, Dulux replacement. Centari is a Bi--h to paint by brush, I have done it, and you have to work very fast, and get it right the first time Centari should be sprayed, and you MUST wear OSHA-NIOSH mask This stuff IS hazzardous to your health if inhaled. If you have a color sample already, take it to a Sherwin Williams dealer - they will use a computer to match your color, and load it into spray cans for you (about 7 to 8 cans per QT, shelf life - 2 to 3 months). What you don't use, you could always sell to others in need here at the stak!
Andrew
Old 03-15-2006, 01:16:51 AM
Registered

For Brewster Green, go to your nearest TruValue Hard Store and buy X/O Rust, 2 Pints or Quarts of their Dark Green and 1 of Black, mix well and paint. Not a high tech paint, but matches Stover And Sandwich Brewster Green very well AND a hole lot cheaper!
Ray
Old 03-15-2006, 06:13:07 PM
Registered

The Adirondack green is different than the Old Brewster green used on the early Famous engines. I went to an old Dulux dealer yesterday and he had a very old IHC color sample chart and 24166 was the original number for IHC's Brewster green. He was successful in crossing that number and the new number is GS172. We laid these 2 samples side by side and it is an exact match. The problem is like the others have said, very hard to brush this new stuff because you have to add the hardner to it and to brush it you will have to do it fast and not mess up. This stuff is very expensive also. It was going to be $36 for a quart of the green and another $15 for the hardner. I could bite the bullet however and get some and paint a sample on a piece of metal for the future to carry to a Sherwin Williams store to have it matched. The guys at the store wouldn't let me carry their sample to the other store for matching either. They said the old Dulux paint worked great right out of the can for brushing but nothing is available like that anymore.

Mike
Old 03-16-2006, 10:50:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Forrer
For Brewster Green, go to your nearest TruValue Hard Store and buy X/O Rust, 2 Pints or Quarts of their Dark Green and 1 of Black, mix well and paint. Not a high tech paint, but matches Stover And Sandwich Brewster Green very well AND a hole lot cheaper!
Ray
Well, I've tried the X/O Rust and it looks Green when you open it in the store BUT you take it home and it's the same Pukey Bluish/Grey/Green as most of the other stuff... Then I mix Black into it and it turns to a murkey Blue/Green.

The ONLY Hardware store Dark Green that is actually Green I have found is Rustoleum Hunter Green. You can mix some black with this and come very close the the early Fuller & Johnson Green which is probably fairly close to the Brewster Green. But don't try to buy it in the spray can as it's Bluish/Grey/Green..

So one time I bought Rust Oleum Dark Hunter Green (Yup the sample on the label was dark green) and when I tried to use it it was the same Pukey/Bluish/Gray Green as the other stuff. Dam Stuff Wasn't even Green.

I don't know if real green is more expensive, Or it it's because of some Blind Computer trying to match the stuff or what but it is But Why Can't somebody make paint that is Actually Green I have Cans and cans of this Krap I wouldn't even paint my Manure Spreader With....

This was the Hunter Green mixed with a little Black. You Don't even want to see the Dark Hunter Green.... Oops Ran out of pictures and smileys...

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 03-16-2006 at 11:06:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:10:51 AM
Registered

I am going to have some automotive paint mixed next week and paint a small piece of metal with it then take it to Sherman Williams and have it computer matched if it looks like the automotive paint would anyone be interested in the code for the paint?If so I will post it on here. I just want to paint two flywheels and want to be able to brush it on
Old 03-26-2006, 11:46:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,018 Times in 396 Posts

I have taken a sample of the Brewster green which was the old Dupont Dulux no. 24166 D and the Machine at Sherwin Williams couldn't match it, It kept coming out black. The store manager told me the machine couldn't read the sample because of so much dark pigment in the Dupont paint. I'd be interested in hearing how other readers of this forum make out.

Thanks
LeRoy Baumgardner
Old 03-28-2006, 07:50:20 AM
Registered

I use a store called Auto Paint and Supply Co in Waukesha Wi. I have not had any problems getting a computer match in Dupont or any other brands they sell. I had them convert from Dulux to Imron the old John Deere green. I have also have them mix a match to my old Stover green, the real dark green. I gave them the federal#s for Cat gray and they matched it in Nasson, also a Dupont co, for me. I prefer urethanes as a former professional vehicle painter, this is what I used most. I would say it is best to use what you most comfortable with.
I have also used a company in Madison Wi called Diamond-Vogel, They mix their own brand and can computer mix what you need. They are a little cheaper than Dupont. But have several grades on enamals that will work great for brushing.
Terry
Old 07-11-2006, 09:21:43 PM
Registered

Brewster green is now Dupont spectramaster green GS172A in Centari and GS172ID in Nason
Old 07-21-2006, 12:17:30 AM
Registered

Pacrat,

Share the wealth. How did you arrive at that? By color matching, or by color code interchanges, or what? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25:20 PM
Registered

Colin;
A fellow told me to simply put an "A" on the end of a Dulux number such as 143DH is changed to 143A and you have what IHC called oxblood red. Now know as national fleet maroon, for nason use a N. If there are letters before the dulux number keep them. I tried it and it worked. Too damn simple for the clerks in the paint stores to tell us.
Good Luck
Robert
Old 02-09-2014, 07:22:50 PM
Registered

I have located the new Nason numbers for Brewster Green #62918415 and Oxblood Red #4315. They look great on my 1912 10HP Famous Portable.
Dave
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48:02 PM
Registered

A correction in the Nason paint codes in my previous post Brewster Green is 629184IS, Oxblood Red is 43IS
Dave
Old 02-13-2014, 12:09:58 PM
Subscriber

Anyone tried Rustoleum Charleston Green for a dark Green?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:48:07 PM
Sponsor

A heads up on spraying the Rustoleum paint,
Over the last several years I have gone from brushing to spraying and never gave any thought to the reducer I was using. Enamel to enamel right? Well...
I have always used a med crossfire reducer from Napa with seemingly no problems until I put it in the Rustoleum. The finished laid down good and flashed nice. The job looked good for a month or so and then slowly it started to dull up and ending in a near flat finish in just a couple of months. The temp and all conditions were as they should be.
I contacted the local hardware store where the paint was bought looking for a cause, they gave me the blank look.
So I made a bold move and called the Rustoleum tech line and asked them, the answer was not what I had expected.
No I did not have to press one to hear it in a language that I could understand.
Their recommendation is to use ONLY Acetone or Mineral spirits and not to use automotive reducer and not any hardener.
They claimed that the paint had not been tested with hardener and they had no data on it in their product. seems strange. I like hardener on engines as it helps reduce the likelihood that oils & fuels will damage the paint.
The weather has not been conducive to painting the last month so I have not tried the acetone yet to see the results.
I would like to say that the tech rep was nice and understood my comments, they just would not commit to the hardener.
If you do not like the brush marks you can put a small amount of Japan Hardener in the paint, it slows down the reaction giving the paint a longer time to flow out and a glass smooth finish.
Just my 2 cents.
Matt
Old 01-31-2015, 01:56:46 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

Test paint a surface with rustoleum, let it dry thoroughly, and THEN spill some gasoline on it. 9 times out of 10, the paint will strip off better than if you used paint remover! I will not use rustoleum on any engine project for that reason - either spray or brush.
Andrew
Old 01-31-2015, 06:05:02 PM
Registered

Hi I have always brush painted engine parts with enamel the same way as it was done in the good old days place the paint tin in boiling water wait until it gets nice and warm then brush it on no brush marks flows beautifully, since then I have up graded to electric hot plate for two pack paint never used reducer just a bit of hardener and presto great finish, hope this helps