Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Osage, Iowa show and videos

this thread has 147 replies and has been viewed 19289 times

Old 08-23-2006, 09:46:09 AM
Jim Jake Templin

Default Re: Osage, IA show...and videos

I have said it before and I will say it again, with apologies to my Gaar Scott Brethren.; From both a practicle and design standpoint, Reeves built technologically superior plowing engines. The were the first folks to build an engine from the ground up to pull a plow, and kept that lead. IMHO the big Peerless engines were almost tied with them.

When Nichols and Shepard went to a rear mount design for their drawbar contractors engines, if you blink you see a lot of Reeves.

Rumely built a heckuva plowing engine, but all were simple...it took all the mules displaced from plowing to haul water.

The application of the cross compound principle on Reeves engine was one of the most successfull outside of marine and stantionary practice.

The 40 Reeves was (and is) likely the most powerful, SUCCESSFUL traction engine built in any numbers.

When one compares a 110 water heater to a 40Reeves, Rumely, or Peerless Z series, the Case almost seems like a disposable machine as far as design and construction is concerned.

That being said, if Frick had ever made an engine in this class, they would likely have eaten everyone elses' lunch!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 10:15:55 AM
Eric Bremer

you asked what the reeves won. i believe it won the bragging rights to being a more powerful engine than a 110. as for the bet, i will lay $100 on the table the reeves will kick your ass.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:26:06 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,479 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jim Jake Templin
I have said it before and I will say it again, with apologies to my Gaar Scott Brethren.; From both a practicle and design standpoint, Reeves built technologically superior plowing engines. The were the first folks to build an engine from the ground up to pull a plow, and kept that lead. IMHO the big Peerless engines were almost tied with them.

When Nichols and Shepard went to a rear mount design for their drawbar contractors engines, if you blink you see a lot of Reeves.

Rumely built a heckuva plowing engine, but all were simple...it took all the mules displaced from plowing to haul water.

The application of the cross compound principle on Reeves engine was one of the most successfull outside of marine and stantionary practice.

The 40 Reeves was (and is) likely the most powerful, SUCCESSFUL traction engine built in any numbers.

When one compares a 110 water heater to a 40Reeves, Rumely, or Peerless Z series, the Case almost seems like a disposable machine as far as design and construction is concerned.

That being said, if Frick had ever made an engine in this class, they would likely have eaten everyone elses' lunch!
preach on rev, preach on...
Old 08-23-2006, 11:03:50 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,294 Times in 734 Posts

i think enough of the right people saw that for now.

Last edited by Craig A; 08-23-2006 at 06:32:46 PM. Reason: removed quote reference
Old 08-23-2006, 11:08:31 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Bremer
you asked what the reeves won. i believe it won the bragging rights to being a more powerful engine than a 110. as for the bet, i will lay $100 on the table the reeves will kick your ass.
Well since that reeves can't seem to pull much more than 144 hp down there with out slipping or bogging down or what ever, im pretty sure we could pull at least 180 with a good 110. how is it going to kick our ass LOL
Old 08-23-2006, 11:28:32 AM
Jim Jake Templin

I have no idea where your anger comes from, but all I intend to say about my credibility is apart from a patch strips being 14 and 18 inches instead of 11, everything I stated was factual, and the whole point was that being a good welder doesn't make someone a good boiler maker. Maybe reading comprehension isn't a big priority in the educational system up there, along with manners.

Maybe if you would get your head out of Case propaganda books, and other darker and lower places of your anatomy, you may find pictures of NS engines plowing; infact there is one right in front of several histories of John Deere (of all places).

Last edited by Craig A; 08-23-2006 at 06:30:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:21:13 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Nichols made about one of the worst engines for plowing. in all the pictures and stuff we have here i dont know if i could find one picture of a N&S plowing.
Colin, don't say that too loud around any of the boys from Fairview, OK because they plow with N/S engines every year......20-75 and 30-98......

Lawrence S, you got any pics you can submit of plowing with your Gramp's old 25 HP Nick?????

Mike McKnight

Last edited by Craig A; 08-23-2006 at 06:31:25 PM. Reason: repair tags
Old 08-23-2006, 12:45:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,682 Times in 877 Posts

I have plowed with a 25-85 N&S single cyl sidemount and it was a pleasure to run, could turn it on a dime and get 9 cents back. I have talked to a few other owners of N&S sidemounts and they concurr.

On the other hand I have plowed with a 20-75 N&S double rearmount and 20 HP Reeves Canadian special .... you better have about 50 cents ready to be able to turn them on a dime and you dont get any change back either ! They tend to just push the front end and the front wheels just skid along the top of the ground. Looked to me like they had too much weight on the rear and not enough on the front end.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it - I think N&S really screwed up by going to the rear mount models.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:31:10 PM
Registered

Something i was going to comment on was the speed the 40 was traveling in those clips. it looked like it was running at least 250 Rpm. so i went and looekd in the book and it says its Rpm is 210. ive never known reeves to be that fast, and i bet it really soaked up the fuel and water traveling like that .
Old 08-23-2006, 01:38:18 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,933 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Nichols made about one of the worst engines for plowing. in all the pictures and stuff we have here i dont know if i could find one picture of a N&S plowing.
Colin,

I think that you better recheck your photos, as it was you who provided a photo of my grandfathers 25/85 simple single bracket mounted N&S plowing at Andover back in 2000. That was also the year that we sprung a leak in the firebox above the firebox door ring. That is another story and one I won't go into today. Anyway, we were pulling an eight bottom plow, I believe, that particular year. I am fairly confident that the engine could and would pull 10 bottoms and on a good day maybe 12. I believe gramps has told me this, but don't quote me on it till I verify it with him. Oh by the way, we were carrying 150 psi, just think what she would have done at her operating pressure of 175 psi.

Now I will grant you this, that the Case engines would pass us up in the field had they had the chance. Our Nichols moves pretty slow compared to the Case engines. The engine RPM is 225 compared to, what is the 110, 80, 75 RPM's again? Irregardless, pulling that plow that day wasn't difficult for the engine, as I had to watch the fire for popping the safety valve. Also, if I recall correctly, the Case engines all had to take on water in the field, where as the Nick didn't. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would just as soon plow with my Nick as plow with a 110 Case. Just a preference is all.

See you up at Rollag!

Lawrence
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2006, 01:49:59 PM
Eric Bremer

Quote:
Well since that reeves can't seem to pull much more than 144 hp down there with out slipping or bogging down or what ever, im pretty sure we could pull at least 180 with a good 110. how is it going to kick our ass LOL
Prove it. bring YOUR little 110 down to osage next summer and lets see you pull 180. by the way you have a serious ego problem.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

Now boys, calm down. The best part about a brake is you can make it read anything you want. The only real test will be the same day, same brake, same UNBIASED brake operator (ie, he doesn't have money on the table).

I have no doubt that Colin's 110 pulled 180 one time. It just wont pull it on the brake at Osage. Whether it has more power than the Reeves or not, I guarantee that it doesn't have 40 more HP than the Reeves.

Besides, I think the real test would be the most sustainable horsepower. How much power can you pull for 15 minutes and maintain pressure and maintain the same water level. And while we are at it, we might as well measure how many pounds of coal you shovel in.

It sounded like ReevesNut was able to maintain pressure and water level at 140 HP. Can the 110 do it????

Jim Evans
Old 08-23-2006, 07:30:55 PM
Subscriber

The little dude is already in that thread. I know he was pictured sitting in the smokebox of a topmount Avery.
He managed to ride on almost every engine at Osage. Here he is on the 1/4 scale Case. It is the first time that I have seen someone operating a 1/4 scale from the platform.

Jim Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Anderson
Here's the first 3 videos sent to me by Reeves Nut......
Here are 15 seconds each of about 700kb WMV videos of the BIG Reeves plowing.
Please right click and save them.
The little dude sitting in the bunker would fit in the "Starting 'em Young" thread.........

http://andersonofrosholt.com/mypics/...owingIowa1.wmv

http://andersonofrosholt.com/mypics/...owingIowa2.wmv

http://andersonofrosholt.com/mypics/...owingIowa3.wmv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scott.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	10863  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:34:08 PM
Registered

All this reminds be of the John deere & I H , splitballs thrown at each other. lol , i agree with Jim evans. if both engines can do all that, then you would get the true readings, but wouldn't it be hard not to slip that belt on the powereater ??? Jim

BD
Old 08-23-2006, 08:02:17 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtractors
I have no doubt that Colin's 110 pulled 180 one time. It just wont pull it on the brake at Osage. Whether it has more power than the Reeves or not, I guarantee that it doesn't have 40 more HP than the Reeves.
Besides, I think the real test would be the most sustainable horsepower. How much power can you pull for 15 minutes and maintain pressure and maintain the same water level. And while we are at it, we might as well measure how many pounds of coal you shovel in.
It sounded like ReevesNut was able to maintain pressure and water level at 140 HP. Can the 110 do it????
Jim Evans
see ive said it before, but when we pulled 198hp, it was for 35 mins. it was tuned perfect, we had a good belt that was able to hold tite, good coal, water and engineer. im not sure why it wont pull it on the osage brake. Bridens 110 pulled 187 on the rollag brake with dad on the engine. are you guys starting to admit the 40 can't maintain much more than 144 hp does anyone have hp figures from a decent 32 reeves?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:13:06 PM
Subscriber

What pressure does it take to put out 198 HP?

Jim Evans
Old 08-23-2006, 09:29:12 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,124 Times in 3,929 Posts

Fellow Stakers....it seems it is time for all us to remember the proper advice: "Do Unto Others as You Wish Done Unto You"

The name calling on each side is accomplishing nothing.

Colin, thank you for updating your response.

Let us stick to the facts.

BTW, I had dinner with a man who has run that 40 several years ago when it was still running 175#. Side by side it was an obvious winner against the 110 which was also running 175#. The 40 just loped along with the 14 bottom while the 110 had to snort with it behind.

Just the facts boys, just the facts.

Beth
Old 08-23-2006, 09:58:15 PM
Eric Bremer

beth, you make a good point on the golden rule.
i would also like to say to colin that good coal, water, belt and engineer make the engine. eric
Old 08-23-2006, 10:17:57 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,124 Times in 3,929 Posts

Thanks Eric, we are all guilty of breaking the rule, but as long as we retrieve ourselves....

I have yet to convince Colin & several others that the engineer makes the machine...we've debated it many times. That is why I keep nagging: same place, same time, same fuel, same equipment.....

Since we haven't been able to accomplish that, I guess we'll just have to remember that we are mere mortals.

Beth
Old 08-23-2006, 10:29:54 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,581 Times in 7,459 Posts

Kids - Just for fun, skip through your library of old Engineers and Engines magazines for the years about 1985- 88. There are a whole series of articles related to the subjects being hammered at here - they will help you understand where some people are coming from!!!!! Bitterness is not new, just transferred from print media to electronic! And December-January 1988 had a good article by the late Gordon Mundle of Binscarth, Manitoba, a fine man who had considerable working days experience with steam. He raised some interesting arguments.
G.