Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Trailer Help

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 5314 times

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 03:32:52 PM
Tony Pitts

Default Trailer Help

I am need of help in selecting a trailer to haul my engines and F-20. I have settled on size and style: 8' by 16' flat-tp trailer that goes over the top ofthe wheels. This is essential as the rear steel wheels on the F-20 measure about 94 inches, and if I am to back it on for proper weight distribution, I can't be running over tires. Ifigure the length will allow me to keep a decent amount of engines on it, though I may not bolt them all down, so I can keep the weight distributed right when the F-20 is not on. I also want to make sure I get dual axles, with brakes on at least one, if not both axles. And a capacity of 8-10k pounds.

I have given myself a budget for this and now am trying to track one down. I found one today used made by Jerry James Trailer Sales in Missouri for $800 which seems remarkable, but a couple things make me wonder, as I have never owned a trailer before. First, I'll describe the general contruction, which is similar to a new one on the lot that is the normal variety that is rated at 10,200 pounds, with wheels to either side of the bed. It has a frame that is 6' by 16' (thus the trailer top overhangs 1 foot on each side) The frame is made out of steel that is 6" tall and two inches wide and looks like a [ This frame starts at the hitch and agles out to the sides to the 6' width and the goes back. This frame has another 6" by 2" frame joined to it under the entire bed (bed rests on this frame which rests on frame joined to tongue) The bed sets on a series of steel supports spaced at about 16" centers front to back that extend the entire width of the trailer and thus support the bed. My concern is that much of the weight of the tractor will rest on the overhang portion of the trailer and I want to make sure it is strong enough. Seems like it would be, but I don't know for sure.

The other concern I have is that the axles are not the full 8 feet wide, but stop at the outside of the 6' frame. Not sure if this would affect capacity or drivability. Is there any way to be sure of the axle ratings. These axles appear to be about 3" in diameter.

It is a great looking trailer, but I'd like more advice on this one and what else to look for.

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2001, 09:03:47 PM
allen lapage

Default Re: Trailer Help

i just happen to own a jerry james trailer. they are not bad for the price, just remember you get just what you pay for and no more. also plan on spending some more for a good set of trailer tires. as his trailers come with used car tires. also plan on putting some rubber hose on any wireing where it goes through the frame, as their holes are tourched in and very sharp. also most of their frame work and supports are angle iron, not box tubing. my deck rotted out in 2 years because it was not treated lumber. so just remember you will wind up paying the price of a good trailer weather it be all at once or piece by piece. also check the bed for flatness, most of theirs that i have seen have a twist to them.
Old 10-18-2001, 10:01:24 PM
Tom Jr.

Hi Tony: On most later trailers , 5 bolt wheels are on 3500 lbs. axles and 6 bolt wheels on 5000. check the weigh rating on a tire Times 4 You need 2500 or better on each one to haul 10,000. You should have 4 wheel brakes to haul that much weight. ( some states it is required ) If it has older house trailer axles the brakes are poorly made. Good luck Tom
Old 10-18-2001, 10:18:23 PM
dan burkart

Tony, I am not sure what your budget is on trailers, but I highly recommend the CORN PRO trailers. My dad basically reseached trailers for about two years before he decided to buy the corn pro that we have now. (see the link to the pictures of our trailer) Some of the things that he said that he really likes about the CORN PRO are: They are all made and welded on fixture that way everything is true and square. The axles are Dexter Torque flex axles, this means there are no springs. Next he like that all of the wiring is inclosed. The frame of the trailer is heavier built then most which in turn means that the weight of the trailer is more, and the amount of weight you put on the trailer will be slightly less. Our trailer has 2-3500lb axles with brakes on both axles. It seems to pull very well, it stays right behide the truck, you hardly even know it is there. I know that Corn Pro has a web sight, but I am not sure what it is off of the top of my head. Good luck.

Dan Burkart

Trailer Photo
Old 10-18-2001, 10:26:30 PM
Brad McKenna

to determine axel ratings check in the center of the axel (under the trailer) all new trailers are to have the ratings their. Check what Featherlite trailers have to offer. they are more expensive but then again you get what you pay for. They make a wide varity of trailers I'm sure they have one that fits your needs if they don't they will make it.
Old 10-18-2001, 10:40:22 PM
BobRR

Hi Tony look at old house trailer frames. you may be better off making an engine trailer and one for the tractor. dont forget about tongue weight. with and with out tractor! Bobrr
Old 10-19-2001, 02:21:37 AM
mike otis

I bought a 10000lb Hudson trailer 2 years ago. Then I had to buy a bigger truck to haul it
Old 10-19-2001, 06:05:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,923 Times in 1,740 Posts

Tony and others: Check out the attached link for trailering information. I bought and use the Sherline Scale for measuring the tongue weight to adjust the trailer load properly. In addition I use load levelers. It all helps .

Paul in NJ

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm
Old 10-21-2001, 06:13:29 AM
Phillip

G'Day TONY,correct me if I'm wrong but 10,000 lbs is around 4 tons,what sort of 5 ton truck do you own?.Out here in Aus the rules say that in most cases the towing capacity of utes ect,Ford f-100 and the like can't excede the weight of the vehicle.In other words if you vehicle weighs 2.5 tons thats all you can tow with it. REGARDS PHILLIP AUSTRALIA.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:43:55 PM
Tony Pitts

10,000 pounds is probably on the high side of what I will need someday, but I would just assume buy a trailer that can grow with me. Right now, I would carry 6,000 pounds max, usually much less, but I need something that can carry my tractor once in a while. Right now I just have F-150 which could probably handle the 6000 pounds (at least I see a lot of people carrying that much), but within a few years I'll upgrade to a F-250 or F-350.

As far as the weight not exceeding the weight of the truck, we don't have those restrictions that I have sen, but we do try to keep within the GVW specs. on the truck, trailer and hitch (spoken by a trailering newbie, so...).

I have received a lot of good advice and will probably rule the trailer I was looking at out. Now to find some trailer yards to look at.

Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2001, 03:13:27 PM
Richard

A couple of factors to consider when buying trailers 1. most standard auto insurance policys will not cover liability or property losses on big trailers ( or their contents ),check policy or call agent for each Co's policy ! over 1500 lb is big to them! 2.Each state that you tow in also has weight restrictions about brakes on your trailer. certain weight single axle brakes required, up around 10000-12000 dual axle brakes will be required in some states. a 150 p/u and 6000 lb load and no brakes-- better check out life insurance and maximum liability amounts on auto policy!!!! happy towing been there done that!
Old 10-21-2001, 09:39:25 PM
mike otis

My insurance company will insure my trailer and my f150 I had at the time now have a f250. But said they couldn't insure the gmc3500 that I have. I had to put that on its own policy.
Closed Thread