Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

What about your trailer? Enclosed?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2850 times

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 08:43:37 AM
Leroy Clark

Default What about your trailer?

This thread got me thinking about a new one again this year. This time I think an enclosed trailer is in order, any ideas and help in locating material for such an endevor?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2002, 09:36:38 AM
Bob Brown

Default Re: What about your trailer?

I don't know your age, but an enclosed trailer would comitt you to unloading at every show. I am 59 years old and the next step for me will be a trailer with engines bolted down. That won't be for a few years yet, but I can see it coming. Just my thought on the subject. Bob Brown
Old 02-21-2002, 09:58:43 AM
doug kimball

Saw a small welding trailer with a removeable pipe framework designed for tent-like cover. There is a place near me that makes portable garages that will custom make covers to suit. Don't know if it would stand up to towing over the road with cover in place. More for storage, I guess. Probably easier & more practical to buy a portable garage.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:41:14 PM
Howard Weaver

About a year ago I bought an inclosed trailer {7x16 inside} with a side lift door, side man door and back ramp door. I then built a fold up bunk in the very front for when I stay over at a show. I then put in recessed tie downs along the sides in the floor for securing engines where ever I want. A plate for a winch was installed under the bunk and a coat of stain put on the walls. Now the good side is that the bunk is much better than a tent, rain dosen't mean much and all the loading is done at home at my speed as I run my engines inside the trailer. Down side is you have to allow for ventilation of exhaust fumes and in hot weather the engines hold heat in for hours after running all day. I also found that for my piece of mind additional cross members were needed under the 3/4 inch plywood floor. The engines stay much cleaner when hauling but you can't look in the mirror to see how they are riding. Just something to think about. Howard
Old 02-21-2002, 02:34:27 PM
Norm S

Howard,

Sounds cozy! You mention that you can't see the engines while traveling. However, the worst that can happen is that they bump into each other if one comes loose. With an open trailer they fall off!

Norm
Old 02-21-2002, 04:27:39 PM
Leroy Clark

A little more info, I have a 16' flat bed trailer with the engins bolted to it. Also have a 10' trailer for the some time day shows and would like an enclosed to be able to put the engins that are on transports into some place. See I really hate them things (CARTS) but now have two of them and they are getting paint and the complete make over and would like to keep them this way. An enclosed trailer does have draw backs and not for everyone, just as it would not be for every show that I do but it would be nice to keep the engins cleaner while hauling and storing them at home. ( a small 30 X 54 garage). Any and all help will be gladly accepted. Thanks
Old 02-21-2002, 06:57:46 PM
bill williams

Mother and I have went the whole route, truck, small flat bed, large flat bed, small enclosed, and now a 8 by 18 enclosed with a mounted electric hoist.For us thats the best. If we dont feel like unloading everything leave em on. Also she has a cabinet in there to keep her camping gear in and I have a tool box.These things stay loaded all the time. We always short on space at home so we dont unload over winter unless to change engines Works fine for us.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:05:59 PM
TOM BABYLON

I have a 7x12 enclosed trailer with swing doors id rather had a ramp door, but the trailer is a 1999 model and my father gave it to me, so not going to complain. I installed plenty of heavy duty tie downs to the trailer frame not just to the plywood floor. I have 3 2x10 8 foot long boards with aluminum ramp extensions on each end for smooth transitions in and out of the trailer, and good heavy ratchet straps, i carry 5 engines, the largest one 1,000 pounds, all on carts and do it all myself, i make sure every bodys clear when i do this, i also use crank up jack stands to support the rear of the trailer, its alot of work but i can keep my engines inside at night so i can sleep tight.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:47:29 PM
Ron Weber

I've got all you beat! (just kidding). I have a stationary steam engine that I take to shows. It always looks prettier to take the engine off of the trailer. Over the years, many ways have been tried, skids, carts, rollers, etc. The most economical and best method we have come up with is using channel to make a rail-guide and use narrow steel wheels on two axles as a flatcar. This method takes less than 10min to unload and if already packed up, about 15min to load--all while visiting with passerbys. I plan to make larger platforms such a 5x12 and mount engines with equipment on them. ROn
Old 02-22-2002, 01:12:18 AM
Roger

I have a 4hp engine and with cart it weights 1000 lb.

I purchased double axle two horse trailer. Advantage is that weight and axles are close to the road because of basic trailer design.

Made center rear door support removable, drops in at bottom and bolts at top. Installed hasps on upper and lower doors to secure everything.

I use two aluminum motor cycle ramps to load engine, cost about $45 each. Trailer floor is only 10 inches off ground. Built shelf above and across whole stall area to store tent, canopy, chairs, hand truck, etc.

Also have all of front tack storage area to store coolers,luggage,toolbox,spare tire, and parts. All out of the weather and locked.

I use the drop pin braces at front and back to attach camper style screw turnbuckles with built in shocks to secure engine and after tightening nut they have not come loose. Engine is stored in trailer now with 10"of snow on ground. Engine is dry and out of the weather and sun.

Now the trailer carries 4 horses hp( engine) instead of 2 horses. Sorry bad joke!

After reading this thread, I may install a fold down cot to sleep in the trailer.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:28:03 PM
Harvey Teal

I'm setting up a 2 axle 4 horse trailer, similar to Roger. Stationary steam engine, boiler, line shaft, woodworking equipment permanently mounted, sleeping quarters. Cheap, strong trailer.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:36:00 AM
Jim Tremble

OK---Time for my 3 cents.

Have any of you considered a fold down sided trailer ????????? With a drop tailgate ??????

My service truck has 2 drop down panels for the table saw and the radial arm saw. (24'0" van body, tilt cab Ford) Brand New 1965 model of course. No new stuff, here. Everything Rebuilt !!!!!

It gives me 100 times the room to operate these tools than a confinded area.

Think of a boxed in trailer with the sides and the tail gate dropped down and the only thing people see is the deck area where your engines are. AND they are still covered !!!!!

You wouldn't have to do the whole side, just the area you want exposed. AND still have an area for sleeping quarters.

Just a thought, worked GREAT for me,

Jim
Old 02-24-2002, 10:35:45 AM
Harvey Teal

Yeah, Jim, that's what I'm setting up to do with the horse trailer. Both sides will swing upward and slide into the ceiling, thereby exposing the whole show under cover. Wish I could afford to buy a commercially made version....
Closed Thread